What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (FEEDBACK) (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
shoeshineboy said:
What of this topic makes people so nervous --
It's not that it makes anybody nervous. It's just that after three years of regurgitated complaints, it's just plain tiresome. It's time to move on .....

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
They weren't registering complaints, they were listing which titles were pressed. Now I guess I will have to go to dvdtalk to find out if Eight is Enough season two is pressed before I place an order, instead of having HTF as a source of info.

riotengine

Grip
Real Name
Greg Espinoza
Wow. New Warner Archive release of the 1982 TV miniseries, World War III. Stars David Soul, Rock Hudson, and Jerone Krabbe. Really good miniseries, and when I first saw it aired on NBC, I was shocked at how bloody it was. This was the miniseries where director Boris Sagal (The Omega Man) was killed in a helicopter accident. http://www.wbshop.com/product/code/1000366599.do?adid=1112WACNRbEml&ref=EW1112B
Now here's the bad news. World War III is being released in version that is a 16X9 full frame/ original (wrong!) aspect ratio 1.78:1, not the original 1.33:1 OAR.
This is the e-mail I sent out to Warner Archive;
"Hi there, I was very excited to see you are offering the TV miniseries World War III as a Warner Archive selection. However, my excitement dissipated when I saw the DVD specs for a 1.78:1 aspect ratio. This was originally aired in 1982 in a 1.33:1 aspect ratio. The trailer you present shows the original framing cropped to 1.78:1, from the original. I would love to get this, but I can't buy it in this altered form unless it is reissued in the original aspect ratio."
If enough people complain, Warner Archive has a history of being willing to correct problems and address issues with their releases.
I have a set I acquired off iOffer.com. Looks like I'll be hanging on to this.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Is it possible WWIII was shot with a theatrical release in mind (in some part of the world at least) but then ended up being presented on TV? That could explain the decision here. I've never seen it so I honestly don't know - but that was my first thought when reading your post.

riotengine

Grip
Real Name
Greg Espinoza
Brandon Conway said:
Is it possible WWIII was shot with a theatrical release in mind (in some part of the world at least) but then ended up being presented on TV? That could explain the decision here. I've never seen it so I honestly don't know - but that was my first thought when reading your post.
A few people on have brought that up,
I watched the film on NBC when it originally aired in 1982 over two nights. I recorded the repeat airing onto VHS. I've seen the film a few times over the last thirty years since it first aired and I know it pretty well. This miniseries is something of a holy grail for me and was very much looking forward to getting a better copy of it. The full-frame version is the one I know and I do not like the cropping and loss of information on the new DVD. Discussion of a possible overseas theatrical release is irrelevant to me as the version I know is the original 183 minute version purposed for U.S. broadcast standards (circa 1982).
Warner Home Video has letterboxed a few other of their miniseries; "V" and the original Richard Chamberlain Bourne Identity. I refuse to buy those as the original broadcast versions were full-frame.
Warner Archive has released a number of TV movies in the correct full-frame OAR. Genesis II, Planet Earth, The Deadly Tower, the Last Dinosaur, Smile Jenny You're Dead, The Winter Kill, ect. There are many TV movies that have been released in the proper full-frame OAR by Warner Archive that did see theatrical release overseas. There are a bunch of ABC Movies-Of-The Week I would love to see on DVD, but not unneccessarily cropped. IMHO. Universal Vault released the TVM Killdozer, and I'm pretty sure that was full-frame.
BTW, two other TV movie collections were released with WWIII; Dream West (Richard Chamberlain) and Hawkins On Murder. Both are full-frame releases. The bottom line here is World War III seems to be the unfortunate and arbitrary exception and not the rule.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
FYI I picked up the WORLD WAR III disc during the recent sale. It is indeed 16x9 1:78:1 but, not knowing it any other way, it didn't look faulty or incorrect. It's a single disc with the film presented in two parts, the first running 96 minutes and the second running 93, for a total of 189 minutes.

riotengine

Grip
Real Name
Greg Espinoza
Bob Cashill said:
FYI I picked up the WORLD WAR III disc during the recent sale. It is indeed 16x9 1:78:1 but, not knowing it any other way, it didn't look faulty or incorrect. It's a single disc with the film presented in two parts, the first running 96 minutes and the second running 93, for a total of 189 minutes.
Well, Bob. If you're seeing the miniseries for the first time I guess it wouldn't bother you. I did get a complaint through to WAC and I got a response;
(WAC) "There is a slight - but understandable! - misconception at the heart of your query. It's not a case of an original image being cropped against original DP's design (as was too oft' the case in past) but rather a choice between two alternate and equally correct OARs. TV miniseries and movies (including World War III specifically) that were shot with an eye toward both domestic and intl. release were composed by the DP's with an eye toward both presentations, often as "TV Safe" compositions to insure that no important images would be left off screen whether it be 16x9 or 4x3. We went with the 16x9 master as it was both higher quality and more cinematic."
My response to this;
"There's no misconception on my part at all.
World War III was purposed/composed for full screen for the original network airing, with overseas theatrical as a secondary, not primary market. Warner Archive has released many TV movies in full screen as they were originally aired. I've talked to other fans of this miniseries who have the same concerns as I do regarding the OAR and hope this is not going to be a trend for future releases. As you are aware, if World War III had been released overseas theatrically back in 1982, it would have been edited down substantially from its 183 minute running time, which would make it something wholly other than what aired domestically. I've watched this miniseries several times in the 30 years since it originally aired and I was looking forward to it. I can't really support this release."
And not to put too fine a point on this, Warner Archive *has* released the vast majority of their TV movies and miniseries in the original OAR. World War III is an anomaly. I've talked to three other people who wanted this release and they are also disappointed at the cropping of the original image.
I've said this on another web site, Theatrical widescreen movies should be presented in their original aspect ratio. TV shows, TV movies and miniseries should be shown as they were originally presented.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, at least they gave you a response even if you reject their logic in releasing this title in the widescreen format. I bought this release during the 9.50 plus tax sale.

yackerbacker

Auditioning
Real Name
stoe
Yeah but you better look at the playing surface of the discs, 95% of their discs come with either scratches OR hand/finger prints OR glue marks on them OR a combination of all.
and they try to screw you over when you refuse to accept discs like this and request they give you pristine discs.
the marked up discs may play now BUT who knows in 10 years if they will ? And by then the discs will not be replaceable. Now if WARNER did not go on the ultra cheap and actually have quality control then it would be better.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
RED DUST gets a wonderful review from RAH...but it's on the Blu-ray page here. For those interested that don't frequent that page, it makes for great reading!

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Dear Yackerbacker,
Where, exactly, did you come up with your 95% damaged or dirty figure for the Warner Archive films? I've purchased over 400 of their DVD-rs, and
NONE of them have been scratched, fingerprint marked, glued, or anything similar.
Also, on the few occasions when there was a problem, such as ordering a film I already had, their customer service was exemplary.
I'm sorry if you've had the occasional bad experience, but c'mon ... 95%????
All the best,
Poder

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
yackerbacker said:
Yeah but you better look at the playing surface of the discs, 95% of their discs come with either scratches OR hand/finger prints OR glue marks on them OR a combination of all.
Since the inception of the program in March 2009, I've ordered 290 DVDs from the Warners Archives and not a single one has arrived with scratches, finger prints or glue marks! So how did I get a 100% clean discs to your 95% dirty discs? Pardon me if I take your remark with a grain of salt.

yackerbacker

Auditioning
Real Name
stoe
PODER said:
Dear Yackerbacker,
Where, exactly, did you come up with your 95% damaged or dirty figure for the Warner Archive films? I've purchased over 400 of their DVD-rs, and
NONE of them have been scratched, fingerprint marked, glued, or anything similar.
Also, on the few occasions when there was a problem, such as ordering a film I already had, their customer service was exemplary.
I'm sorry if you've had the occasional bad experience, but c'mon ... 95%????
All the best,
Poder
You obviously never looked at the discs playing surface at all angles AND you never breathed on them, because when you do, you will notice the fingerprints, scrathes and all kinds of marks that show the quality control is pathetic.

yackerbacker

Auditioning
Real Name
stoe
Thomas T said:
Since the inception of the program in March 2009, I've ordered 290 DVDs from the Warners Archives and not a single one has arrived with scratches, finger prints or glue marks! So how did I get a 100% clean discs to your 95% dirty discs? Pardon me if I take your remark with a grain of salt.
Stop Lying

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Thomas T said:
Just adding that I also have been more than happy with the quality of the discs I've received. I only had a problem with one disc and Warner replaced it immediately and at no charge.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
"yackerbacker" JUST now joined this forum and jumps in full force as a super expert on how WA has been doing business for the last 3+ years. I smell a troll at work. No WA discs I've ever received (and I've bought hundreds) have had scratches or fingerprints. But I guess I haven't breathed on them enough - lol.

novaride

Auditioning
Real Name
nova
JeffMc said:
"yackerbacker" JUST now joined this forum and jumps in full force as a super expert on how WA has been doing business for the last 3+ years. I smell a troll at work. No WA discs I've ever received (and I've bought hundreds) have had scratches or fingerprints. But I guess I haven't breathed on them enough - lol.
you are an idiot, you ever breathed on a window you were cleaning to see if any smudges or dirt you missec? If so that is the same reason / way top check playing surfaces of discs for the finger prints and scratches and odd marks.
Breath on your discs, I bet you have more then 80% with smudges and glue marks and etc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks