What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (FEEDBACK) (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
Ron Hutchinson posted this today on the Vitaphone Project Facebook page;

I did want to let everyone know that WHY BE GOOD? will be out on Warner Archive DVD this Tuesday, October 28th!

Attachments

• 1658384_10152807045584321_4279544068343101123_o.jpg
    1658384_10152807045584321_4279544068343101123_o.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 58

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
cinerama10 said:
PAL is a superior format to the dreadful NTSC .With bluray however there are no such thing as pal/ntsc formats. If you cannot play a disc because of a different regional coding then you can ( it may be illegal) make a copy on your computer that will render the disc region free. There are free sights that enable you install them in your computer.Most players can have their region/zone coding changed if you can find out the 4 number code for your player. There are internet sights that can give you the code for your player. So simple to do..In Australia most dvd players will automatically play both PAL and NTSC. I have never had a player (video/dvd/bluray) that could not play any film (or format) regardless of the country that I bought them from.
Not arguing that PAL isn't superior; simply that, as a matter of preference, I don't buy PAL DVDs unless the material originated in that format (like BBC comedies, which are a revelation at 25fps). I rarely buy DVDs these days anyways; most of my library is BD now.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
cinerama10 said:
With bluray however there are no such thing as pal/ntsc formats.
That's not, strictly speaking, true. A number of European blu-rays have menus or extras in PAL that won't play in North American machines, and a few even have the main feature in 1080i/50, which can effectively be considered HD-PAL.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Question about the Warner Archive website:

I got an email ad for their latest sale and one of the DVDs featured in the ad is a movie that I've been wanting to purchase for a long time, MAGIC BOY, an early Japanese animated feature. It only recently got released by WA. So I click on the ad which takes me to the website and then...how the hell do I find it?!

I clicked on animation, G-rated films, and films released in the 1960s, as well as "recent arrivals." It's not in any of those categories. Why do they make it such a chore to find anything?

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Thanks, JoHud. Now why didn't I think of that? (Where's the "embarrassed" emoticon?)

Coincidentally, the one review on the page you linked to cites an article that I wrote many years ago.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Anyone notice the pre-order section at WB Archive ? Lots of titles that were released in box sets and in the case of Little Caesar a blu ray release.. I guess we know the future for some titles in the sets.. Im sure others will get HD releases..

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Archive just put a few previously only in old tv format now on wide screen to dvd format.

The Man with Two Brains
Running on Empty
My Blue Heaven
Joe's Apartment

And possibly

The Accidental Tourist

Not sure if that was ever wide.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
The Accidental Tourist was widescreen before, but Divine Madness was in letterboxed widescreen on old disc and is anamorphic now.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I just wanted to mention that I looked at the Dennis Morgan version of The Desert Song the other night (for the first time), and it was very, very entertaining. Definitely updated to the 1940s in plot terms, but the action and singing were tops.

I always thought Dennis Morgan had a pleasing light tenor, but never gave him much thought as a powerhouse singer, but hearing his voice sailing high above the staff in several songs here really impressed me with his obvious operatic training. He handled the score beautifully.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
JoelA said:
At this point, just curious to know what the fundamental difference is between this thread and the following-

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/287084-warner-archive-discussion-thread-the-announcementsthe-films/

Was the "FEEDBACK" thread intended for just comments/opinions about the films and the one linked above just for announcements of new releases through WAC? Seems as though both are serving the same purpose at this point.
Yes, this one is for comments and opinions about the releases. The other one you have in the link is basically for announcements.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Well, what Ron said upon launching the "Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) was:
At the request of the membership we have created a newWarner Archives Discussion Area delegated to discussingnew announcements as well as the films themselves.
and about this thread:
Any feedback, positive or negative towards the program itselfshould continue to be directed to [Warner Archives Discussion Thread (FEEDBACK)
At the time there had been concern expressed by the membership that with the previous single thread, discussions about specific releases and films were being buried by lengthy and often repetitive discussions about such issues as DVD-R vs. pressed, pricing, international non-availability and general pro- and con-MOD program arguments. The intent was that these were to go here (FEEDBACK) and talk about specific releases and films were to remain in the other (The Announcements/The Films).

That post of Ron's on the other thread is here:http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/287084-warner-archive-discussion-thread-the-announcementsthe-films/?p=3497793

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Thanks Matt (Post# 3688) and Paul (Post# 3689) for clarifying what I thought about the two WAC threads.

BTW, Matt, I purchased The Desert Song (1943) with Dennis Morgan upon release in September and watched it three times over the weekend after I received it. I found it very enjoyable with Morgan in great voice and Irene Manning in excellent voice as well and very pleasing in her role. Good movie that was buried far too long due to legal issues, however, that may be why the film elements look so good.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
A rather disappointing transfer for the John Garfield film Dust Be My Destiny (1939).

It was my first time seeing it. It was also a rather disappointing film, pretty formulaic.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I watched "Twice Upon a Time" with both audio tracks last night. For the most part I'm very happy. But it's not perfect; there is a defect in the audio. For part of the movie, the left and right channels are reversed. You can hear it very clearly from 20:19 - 20:32 when Botch's car ping-pongs from left to right on screen, the backfires and sputters can always be heard from the speaker opposite the action onscreen (it's more noticeable towards the end). Also, at 21:13, when Botch throws his drink off-screen left, we hear it crash only in the right speaker. Oddly, this error can be heard in both audio tracks, but isn't present on the older VHS or LD releases.

I should note that the channels are not reversed throughout the entire film. The train on the trestle at 4:13 - 4:20 pans properly from center to left just as it does visually. I'm not sure just how much of the movie is affected yet. When I've documented more I plan on writing an email to Warner Archive pleading for a fix. This is the first video release this film has received in 24 years, and is likely its last. It would be a shame if it remained botched (no pun intended).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks