What's new

Warner Archive, Wave Your Wand and Bring Back 1935! (2 Viewers)

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I would be happy with all the films mentioned in this thread being released by WBA. But Captain Blood is at the top of my want list. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I listened to the Extras podcast and for some reason i'm convinced the 1935 release they are working on is Captain Blood. No reason for my thinking just optimism i guess.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Some obscure actress called Bette Davis. She even won some sort of award for it called an Oscar.
Never saw it ------ one of the few Davis I never heard of Seems though Cagney would sell better --- Bet the film Private Lives Of Elizabeth and Essex sold well because of Flynn

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I would be happy with all the films mentioned in this thread being released by WBA. But Captain Blood is at the top of my want list. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I listened to the Extras podcast and for some reason i'm convinced the 1935 release they are working on is Captain Blood. No reason for my thinking just optimism i guess.
With the last two years bringing lots of Flynn I think Capt Blood must be the most anticpated of the remaining Flynn's so I bet we see it b4 the end of the year or at least announced.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
With the last two years bringing lots of Flynn I think Capt Blood must be the most anticpated of the remaining Flynn's so I bet we see it b4 the end of the year or at least announced.
Assuming, of course, that Captain Blood wasn't licensed out to Criterion (which has long been rumored to be the case), since they've been known to take a long time in releasing stuff.

Varietyguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug Galloway
An optimistic tip of the hat to one of Hollywood's golden years. - involving titles that likely fall under the Warner Archive umbrella. Not an exhaustive list of their 1935 holdings, but certainly the ones I'd most like to see get a new lease on life as shiny new Blu-rays.

It's probably just a matter of time for these three:
GOLD-DIGGERS OF 1935(Warner Bros)
From start to finish my favorite Busby Berkeley movie. In fact, one of my favorite movies ever - and certainly the one I like best from 1935.

CAPTAIN BLOOD(Warner Bros)
The swashbuckling super-hit that started it all for Errol Flynn. And it still stands up magnificently.

TOP HAT(RKO)
I've read that Blu-ray slowpoke Criterion may have snagged the rights to this one. They did bring us the sublime "Swing Time" a few seasons back, But this is also pinnacle Astaire-Rogers and somebody needs to get it out pronto.

Reasonable Possibilities:
A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM(Warner Bros)
Gleaming, star-stuffed one of a kind extravaganza. Who knew Mickey Rooney, Joe E. Brown and Hugh Herbert would turn out to be such delightful purveyors of Shakespeare? The whole thing's mounted and choreographed like - well, like a dream. One that includes cheerful Dick Powell, pugnacious James Cagney, imposing Victor Jory, alluring Anita Louise and a meltingly young Olivia de Havilland in her screen debut. Bard purists beware. But for lovers of 30's Hollywood at its most phantasmagoric, this one's for you.

ALICE ADAMS(RKO)
One of the best movies Katharine Hepburn ever made. Directed by George Stevens and featuring Fred MacMurray, uniquely terrific in a star-making role.

SYLVIA SCARLETT(RKO)
More Hepburn, this one a cult favorite with a (sort of) gender-bending premise. George Cukor directs. Cary Grant, Edmund Gwenn and Brian Aherne all add superb onscreen support.

Long Shots and Super Long Shots
THE LAST DAYS OF POMPEII(RKO) and SHE(RKO)
Neither movie is perfect. For example - as Ayesha in "She" - Helen Gahagan is all dignity, zero sex appeal. But both films provide multiple pleasures. Besides which, I can seldom resist either Ancient World spectacles or H. Rider Haggard.

THE BISHOP MISBEHAVES(MGM)
Delightful but largely forgotten mystery comedy that spotlights a cast of wonderful older character actors. Edmund Gwenn, Lucile Watson and Etienne Girardot all get to share the limelight - each in tiptop form.

THE PAYOFF(Warner Bros)
Claire Dodd, Warners' glamorous resident vixen in the 30's, usually had to strut her stuff on the sidelines. This one showcases her more directly. As James Dunn's faithless but fascinating wife, she makes every step toward her eventual come-uppance addictively watchable.

NAUGHTY MARIETTA(MGM)
The folks at Warner Archive don't seem to harbor much affection for operetta. Feeling (perhaps rightly) that its fan-base has by this time dwindled to commercial insignificance. But as part of that fan base, I can't help wishing for some Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy teamings on Blu. My favorites are "Rose Marie" and "The Girl of the Golden West". But this 1935 opus was the one that initiated their long series of box office hits. And was also an Oscar nominee for Best Picture in 1935.

TRAVELING SALESLADY(Warner Bros)
Wisecracking fun with Joan Blondell and Glenda Farrell, And - as if that's not enough - I remember chuckling non-stop at obscure vaudevillian Bert Roach, hilarious as an unlucky third wheel in one situation after another.

I LIVE MY LIFE(MGM)
An unfortunate cop-out ending kind of mars this one right at the finish line. But otherwise it's lots of fun. With Metro production polish and an above-average rom-com script embellishing the ins and outs of the unlikely romance between heiress (Joan Crawford in full 30's glamour mode) and archaeologist (the always excellent Brian Aherne).

ROMANCE IN MANHATTAN(RKO)
The premise is pretty much all there in the title. A gently agreeable teaming of Ginger Rogers (in appealing pre-40's form) with European charmer Francis Lederer, then touted for big-time Hollywood stardom. And he nearly made it.

POWDERSMOKE RANGE(RKO)
Amiable round-up of some of the era's favorite movie cowboys - Harry Carey, Bob Steele, Hoot Gibson, Tom Tyler, Wally Wales and more. All interacting in a story that's entertaining and crisply organized. Each star gets a chance to shine, making this a kind of B plus deluxe item sure to please genre fans.

That's it for my 1935 list. Now, c'mon WAC, wave that wand!
What about “Go Into Your Dance” (WB, 1935) Al Jolson, Ruby Keeler❓❓❓It also has two ALL-TIME Golden Age of Hollywood songs: “About A Quarter To Nine” and “She’s A Latin From Manhattan.” Why didn’t you include “Dance???”

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
TBH, I see only 4-5 of the mentioned films having a realistic chance to being profitable enough and that might be optimistic on my part.
I am surprised Top Hat has not gone to Criterion ----- they only had one Astaire - Rogers === wish WAC would let out more films to other firms to ensure we see them I would grab Top Hat for sure

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Assuming, of course, that Captain Blood wasn't licensed out to Criterion (which has long been rumored to be the case), since they've been known to take a long time in releasing stuff.
Yes, Criterion takes it seems forever to put anything out.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Robert, you may move this over to the regular Warners thread if you wish. I know this one is for titles from 1935. Sorry.
thanks ----- mr c told so thats what I am sticking with 1935 films thanks my friend my cognitive issues still getting me

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Right now, we don't know which missing titles are with Criterion.
Thats the frustrating part ---- Top Hat was the height of astaire and rogers ---- Roberta 1935 good too but seems like Irene Dunne was the star

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
What about “Go Into Your Dance” (WB, 1935) Al Jolson, Ruby Keeler❓❓❓It also has two ALL-TIME Golden Age of Hollywood songs: “About A Quarter To Nine” and “She’s A Latin From Manhattan.” Why didn’t you include “Dance???”
good film but if wb was thinking profits captain blood ---- david copperfield etc --- problem is not even a hint will the focus be warners 1935 films or mgm 1935 films

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
I restricted the titles in my initial post to films that were favorites of mine. Afraid I never cared for "Go Into Your Dance". Don't find much charm in Jolson - and Ruby Keeler, adorable as she can be, definitely needs a leading man that's not just talented but likeable too (like Dick Powell) to help her get her through the ins and outs of any given screenplay with some degree of dramatic plausibility.
But if this is a title you're after, I hope Warmer Archive eventually comes through for you.
Solid agreement, by the way, on the fact that the two songs you mentioned are standout pieces of classic 30's pop.

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
Well, George Feltenstein already stated during one of "The Extras" podcast that he recently viewed a 1935 movie that's been worked on by WA. If I had to guess, it's one of the first three movies you mentioned in your post. Personally, I hope it's "Captain Blood", but WA loves to release musicals so those other two movies are a distinct possibility.
Captain Blood would be top of my list as well. Been wanting that for years now.

Varietyguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug Galloway
Well, George Feltenstein already stated during one of "The Extras" podcast that he recently viewed a 1935 movie that's been worked on by WA. If I had to guess, it's one of the first three movies you mentioned in your post. Personally, I hope it's "Captain Blood", but WA loves to release musicals so those other two movies are a distinct possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks