What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (FEEDBACK) (2 Viewers)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So, Gary...did you actually buy any of these discs at Costco?

For $8, I'd snap up a Wuthering Heights...and then gladly buy again when Warners decides to put it out on Blu. Talk about a "holy grail"

I, unfortunately, have no Costco membership as I don't have a Costco store anywhere near me.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
So, Gary...did you actually buy any of these discs at Costco?
For $8, I'd snap up a Wuthering Heights...and then gladly buy again when Warners decides to put it out on Blu.  Talk about a "holy grail"
I, unfortunately, have no Costco membership as I don't have a Costco store anywhere near me. 
Yes I bought Wuthering Heights and Pride of the Yankees. I am currently traveling on business and will not have a chance to watch until the weekend at the earliest.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
Good news for Nick and Mike, GRAND HOTEL is coming to Blu in January . . .
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?item_id=1627787

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
20121025_153458.jpg

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I'll probably stick with my MGM discs until I hear something about improved transfers, but that Wuthering Heights disc will be mine...just as soon as it shows up at Sams Club.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Just a heads up on the Vitaphone Varieties Volume Two set. The titles listed on the back and what's on each disc is backwards. Disc One actually has the titles listed as Disc Two on the back cover and Disc Two has the titles of Disc One listed on the back cover. At least mine does for these are DVD-r others may be correct. . Startled me a little at first but very glad I have all the titles.

Also the Vitaphone Comedy Collection is great. The "Fatty" Arbuckle shorts are some of the funniest I have ever seen. Too bad he died just as he regaining his comedy presence.

Both the Vitaphone Comedy Collection and The Vitaphone Varieties Volume are DVD-r and NOT pressed.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
We are not asking that this dialogue not take place. We are not
censoring any of you.
What we are concerned about is the misinformation that has been
posted here, particularly the incorrect listing of some titles as being
pressed and the misconception that there is a difference in end product
quality between pressed and burned discs.
You may continue this discussion in the Warner Feedback Thread
if you must. We would just prefer that these kind of lists get added
to the many other Warner MOD threads already in existence on this forum.
Putting a thread with this much misinformation in the spotlight only hurts
consumers and unfairly represents a studio working very hard to make
certain that all of you are not only getting the best cost-effective
manufactured product, but have a guarantee that stands behind it.
Some may accuse HTF of being "shills" for the studios, but the fact of
the matter is, HTF is probably one of the only forums the studios read
regularly, and we have exceptional relationships with every one of them
that allow us to research information and clarify misconceptions.
I hope now that you have read this far down that you understand and
support our decision to close this thread.
Wow. Talk about extra-sensitive or extremely over-cautious. A few of the postings may have had 'misinformation' like which discs are dvd-r and which are pressed, but the forum group is pretty good at sleuthing out what is what without the lockdown. Why so heavy handed? What of this topic makes people so nervous -- i get that my occasional one-note gripping can be bothersome (i'm not alone in debating a preference for pressed) just as other comments that ring on about how wonderful dvd-rs are... I even try to limit my scanning through these warner archive threads to save us all from what sounds like carping (and the following scowling), but now you are directing people who want to know if WA is sending out pressed or dvd-rs here.
You can't win for trying, and I guess that goes for all of us.
I appreciate that you haven't banned people who question WA altogether.

Thart

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas Hart
Personally, all I wanted was to know as much info as possible about an item that I am paying quite a bit of money for. Since the official WA website or facebook or emails were not giving me the answers, I decided to reach out to this forum and its members. I made several purchases from the WA based on what I learned here, and want to thank everyone here for their help. I just don't understand as a collector or fan, why I can't ask and receive information on how something is made or produced, especially if I'm paying $30-60 for that item. If I was buying a $60 book, I would like to know if it's hardbound or softbound or if it was a first-edition or a reprint. The book will read the same and last as long no matter what edition it was, but I personally as a consumer, want to know this information.
I just find it weird that it's being called "rather sad" that I want to know as much about a product as possible before making a financial decision.

JosephGC

Auditioning
Real Name
Joseph Coco
ahollis said:
Just a heads up on the Vitaphone Varieties Volume Two set. The titles listed on the back and what's on each disc is backwards. Disc One actually has the titles listed as Disc Two on the back cover and Disc Two has the titles of Disc One listed on the back cover. At least mine does for these are DVD-r others may be correct. . Startled me a little at first but very glad I have all the titles.
Also the Vitaphone Comedy Collection is great. The "Fatty" Arbuckle shorts are some of the funniest I have ever seen. Too bad he died just as he regaining his comedy presence.
Both the Vitaphone Comedy Collection and The Vitaphone Varieties Volume are DVD-r and NOT pressed. 
I agree the Arbuckle shorts are very FUNNY!
I contacted WHV about the label mixup on the Varieties set and they will be re-sending a corrected DVD-r set. WHV assured me the new set will be properly labeled. Excellent customer service.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Thart said:
Personally, all I wanted was to know as much info as possible about an item that I am paying quite a bit of money for. Since the official WA website or facebook or emails were not giving me the answers, I decided to reach out to this forum and its members. I made several purchases from the WA based on what I learned here, and want to thank everyone here for their help. I just don't understand as a collector or fan, why I can't ask and receive information on how something is made or produced, especially if I'm paying $30-60 for that item. If I was buying a $60 book, I would like to know if it's hardbound or softbound or if it was a first-edition or a reprint. The book will read the same and last as long no matter what edition it was, but I personally as a consumer, want to know this information.
I just find it weird that it's being called "rather sad" that I want to know as much about a product as possible before making a financial decision.
Thomas, who are you responding to?
shoeshineboy said:
Wow. Talk about extra-sensitive or extremely over-cautious. A few of the postings may have had 'misinformation' like which discs are dvd-r and which are pressed, but the forum group is pretty good at sleuthing out what is what without the lockdown. Why so heavy handed? What of this topic makes people so nervous -- i get that my occasional one-note gripping can be bothersome (i'm not alone in debating a preference for pressed) just as other comments that ring on about how wonderful dvd-rs are... I even try to limit my scanning through these warner archive threads to save us all from what sounds like carping (and the following scowling), but now you are directing people who want to know if WA is sending out pressed or dvd-rs here.
And Dan where is that quote from?

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
JosephGC said:
I agree the Arbuckle shorts are very FUNNY!
I contacted WHV about the label mixup on the Varieties set and they will be re-sending a corrected DVD-r set. WHV assured me the new set will be properly labeled. Excellent customer service.
My expierience was exactly the same. It's very rare to find such exceptionally friendly and speedy customer service.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by shoeshineboy /t/283916/warner-archive-discussion-thread-feedback/3570#post_4000762
Ron has stated to contact him personally offline, if you want to further discuss his actions for closing down that thread.

Crawdaddy

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I would have never ordered the Shazam! Complete series (my first order from Warner Archives) had I not read that the discs were pressed.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
shoeshineboy said:
What of this topic makes people so nervous --
Seems to me this is the most sensitve topic here after the "no bootleg" policy.
I don't see the big deal pressed vs burned - at the end of the day, it's just two different ways to manufacture discs.
I think it all goes back to the early days (and now we're talking 10+ years!) of burned media with poorly made discs with inferior dyes, and there's still a stigma today on the processes, even though we now are several generations ot improvements on both media and equipmenet where even the basis grade of discs are well made.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Robert Crawford said:
Ron has stated to contact him personally offline, if you want to further discuss his actions for closing down that thread.
Crawdaddy
His remarks at the end of the thread are pretty clear and concise, so airing my surprise at him would be singularly unvaluable (as tho this comment has value, but I digress); being that this says 'forum' at the top i prefer to share my comment with those who may also find some 'surprise' in the turn of events. If called to the principal's office I would dutifully go... From now on, loose lips sink etc...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by shoeshineboy /t/283916/warner-archive-discussion-thread-feedback/3600#post_4001049
His remarks at the end of the thread are pretty clear and concise, so airing my surprise at him would be singularly unvaluable (as tho this comment has value, but I digress); being that this says 'forum' at the top i prefer to share my comment with those who may also find some 'surprise' in the turn of events. If called to the principal's office I would dutifully go... From now on, loose lips sink etc...
Any further posts in this thread about how this forum is moderated will be deleted as that subject matter is not up for discussion here.

Crawdaddy

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
DeWilson said:
Seems to me this is the most sensitve topic here after the "no bootleg" policy.
I don't see the big deal pressed vs burned - at the end of the day, it's just two different ways to manufacture discs.
I think it all goes back to the early days (and now we're talking 10+ years!) of burned media with poorly made discs with inferior dyes, and there's still a stigma today on the processes, even though we now are several generations ot improvements on both media and equipmenet where even the basis grade of discs are well made.
Believe me, there are still plenty of absolutely *awful* quality discs around. You see 'em everywhere!
Now, I hope and believe that studios like Warner have decent quality control and that they aren't bulk-buying from the cheapest source (they'd be completely mad to, as it would simply generate a vast amount of failed burns and angry customers generating loads of returns when the things go titsup in six months).
But one of the trolls under the bridge is that what are regarded as quality brand names can and often do rebadge some dire quality tat and sell it under their own names. And they change suppliers quite often too.
Even the mighty Verbatim, which long used the top notch Taiyo Yuden dyes made in Japan, had a brief flirtation with some nasty stuff from Korea. And th eonly way to tell was to use a checker that analysed the discs for their manufacturing codes. Or use a decent store that did that for you and marked the stock as containing an unpleasant surprise
Everyone also needs to be aware that this sort of media is more sensitive to environment even with dyes that are improving. Now, I;d suggest that the sort of folks buying these things are just the sort to look after them properly anyway, but it;s certainly something be be aware of. If nothing else this has a bearing on how the things are shipped around the world as blanks. Being banged around inside a cargo ship that alternatively gets boiling hot or freezing cold won;t help matters at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks