What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: The Prince and the Pauper (1937) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
405004304_757426919756324_1326970408125107741_n.jpg

Coming to Blu-ray January 30th!
NEW 2023 1080p HD Master from 4K Scan of Original Camera Negative!
THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER (1937)
Run Time: 118 Minutes
Subtitles: ENGLISH SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-MA 2.0
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.37:1 with Side Mattes
Product color: B&W
Disc Configuration-BD 50
Directed by William Keighley
Cast: Errol Flynn, Claude Rains, Billy and Bobby Mauch
Special Features: Classic WB Cartoons: PLENTY OF MONEY AND YOU (HD), STREAMLINED GRETA GREEN (HD), SUNBONNET BLUE (HD); Original Theatrical Trailer
Errol Flynn gives a superb performance as he stars in Mark Twain's classic tale of two nearly identical boys from vastly different worlds who trade places as--The Prince and The Pauper. As Lady Jane Seymour (Joan Valerie), consort to King Henry VIII (Montagu Love) gives birth to Prince Edward Tudor (Bobby Mauch), Tom Canty (Billy Mauch) is born in slums not far from the palace. These two boys grow up in London--one in a life of privilege, the other in poverty--until one day they meet, realize they could pass as twins and decide to trade places for a day. But fate traps each in the other's life, with only Miles Hendon (Flynn) as their ally. Now, their survival and the fate of a nation depend on these two boys convincing the royal court of their true identities. Underscored with the brilliant themes of Erich Wolfgang Korngold, and directed with spirit by William Keighley, this is the definitive film version of Twain's great tale!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen this film in many years but my recollection is the Errol Flynn part is very much a supporting role to the Mauch twins. Is this correct?

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I haven't seen this film in many years but my recollection is the Errol Flynn part is very much a supporting role to the Mauch twins. Is this correct?
My recollection is that it is a substantial role, although the story is about the prince and the pauper. As a Flynn fan, I enjoyed it. Oliver Reed played the same role (I think) in Crossed Swords.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
My recollection is that it is a substantial role, although the story is about the prince and the pauper. As a Flynn fan, I enjoyed it. Oliver Reed played the same role (I think) in Crossed Swords.
And Guy Williams (Zorro) played the Flynn part in the Disney telling, that still is MIA...thanks Disney
Mask Zorro GIF

Last edited:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
This movie is now showing on max. Looks good! It's my first time watching this big production.
On Amazon Prime it shows as available with Max on Prime Video when you don't have a Max subscription. However, on another account where we do, it shows as currently unavailable?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
This is an entertaining adaptation of the Mark Twain novel. Claude Rains is excellent, as usual. All the other players are really good as well. Rousing score by Erich Wolfgang Korngold. Nicely done matte paintings, entertaining costumes, sets, etc. Clearly an expensive film for this era. The picture quality makes it like opening night in 1937. I'm planning to get the blu-ray for this movie. Below the poster is a painting of the real King Edward VI from c. 1550 by the artist William Scrots.

p and p poster.jpeg
Circle_of_William_Scrots_Edward_VI_of_England.jpeg

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There is a rumor that this was Flynn’s first foray into Technicolor, but someone in the ‘70s was cleaning the vaults, saw three negatives and tossed two.

This may be the remaining M record. Had they kept the Y, it would have been extremely problematic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks