What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Prince and the Pauper -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For about fifteen years, from his first major studio role in the 1935 Captain Blood, until 1950, Errol Flynn was one of the major stars at Warner Brothers, and Michael Curtiz was the director who helped him achieve that status.

He first worked with Curtiz on Captain Blood, followed by The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936), The Perfect Specimen (1937), The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938, with Keighley), Four's a Crowd (1938), Dodge City (1939), The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939), Virginia City (1940), The Sea Hawk (1940), Santa Fe Trail (1940), and Dive Bomber (1941).

After 1941, Curtiz went on to direct numerous fan favorites without Flynn, including a couple in 1942 that many will find in their libraries.

His place was taken over by Raoul Walsh.

William Keighley, who directed Prince and the Pauper was originally the director of Robin Hood, but was replaced by Curtiz. Keighley worked with Flynn again in 1950 on Rocky Mountain.

Prince and the Pauper was a good film, but not a great one, but Warner Archive's new Blu-ray shows off the studio's budget for this Mark Twain classic. It has that smooth WB look for the era as shot by Sol Polito, who shot (among other films) Robin Hood.

While not prime Flynn, it's one more from the WB library of over 30 Flynn productions. I continue to wait patiently for some of my favorites - Captain Blood, The Charge of the Light Brigade, The Dawn Patrol, Dive Bomber, and They Died with Their Boots on.

Image – 9

Audio – 9

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 7

Slipcover rating - n/a

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Prince-Paupe...sprefix=the+prince+and+the+paup,aps,75&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Any Flynn is watchable to me so i will definitely get this blu. There are so many Flynn films not yet on Blu. All of the films you stated are on my want list. But i also want his WW2 films that have yet to be released and his late 40s westerns. At least we have received two new Flynn films in the past few months. Here's hoping for more. And Captain Blood is # 1 on my want list.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I remember this being a favorite of mine when I was a child but when revisited as an adult was a bit of a letdown. I wonder if it still work for children?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Some of Korngold's operas are favorites among opera afficionados and a few of his arias are classics.

I loved this film as a boy but from both reviews on this site I might find it a bit of a disappointment today. Not the great film classic I remembered it being.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Saw this for the first time yesterday.

Not a bad movie but the Mauch kids could. not. act. They just play cute and goggle-eyed the whole time, and it undercuts the movie.

Seemed weird everyone else had British accents but they sounded American as could be, too.

I assume they didn't try British voices due to the whole "could. not. act." thing. :laugh:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Saw this for the first time yesterday.

Not a bad movie but the Mauch kids could. not. act. They just play cute and goggle-eyed the whole time, and it undercuts the movie.

Seemed weird everyone else had British accents but they sounded American as could be, too.

I assume they didn't try British voices due to the whole "could. not. act." thing. :laugh:
But
Lady Mary
had already invented
ADR
;) ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks