What's new

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
No! He's one of my favorite all-time actors, but his shortcomings are well known and have been discussed often on this forum. If you don't want to talk about them then that's your perogative. He wasn't even 39 years old when he filmed Don Juan, but he looked 10-15 years older.
Sad, but you see examples of persons taking the roles of super stars too seriously, in movies and music as well. Sometimes success can kill you, and often times did, and does. It's just that back then the movie and record industries had agreements with the press to not brodcast or put into print the lifstyles of the rich and famous. Just the opposite of today.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Earl Conrad helped write MY WICKED, WICKED WAYS, spending three months with Errol in Jamaica. Conrad's book describing that rowdy experience, ERROL FLYNN: A MEMOIR, was published in 1978.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I don't see what any of this has to do with THE ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN, or the artistry of Erroll Flynn, for that matter. And he was an extraordinary artist, in my opinion. Whatever he had to do to achieve such indelible performances, I'm more interested in the evidence on the screen, not his life outside of it. And I can't wait for the Blu. And whether he looked his age or not, the emotions and authenticity he invoked made that irrelevant within seconds. He took you to a different world, beyond age or logic or fashion, a place of pure grace.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't see what any of this has to do with THE ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN, or the artistry of Erroll Flynn, for that matter.
When the Blu-ray comes out on July 19th, then I'll be talking about the movie and the Blu-ray's presentation. Right now, we're in a wait and see period because only reviewers have access to this Blu-ray.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I don't see what any of this has to do with THE ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN, or the artistry of Erroll Flynn, for that matter. And he was an extraordinary artist, in my opinion. Whatever he had to do to achieve such indelible performances, I'm more interested in the evidence on the screen, not his life outside of it. And I can't wait for the Blu. And whether he looked his age or not, the emotions and authenticity he invoked made that irrelevant within seconds. He took you to a different world, beyond age or logic or fashion, a place of pure grace.
Yes Yes and Yes --- he was and is one of Warners most famous stars - glad though he wrote HIS story and that is what we should honor his story! For Bette Davis to come around and admit he had IT star quality NUFF Said - I do love though everyones opinion - the stars of yesteryear were and are stars not the spoiled lot we have today. They were trained by the studio mostly given successful roles except some turkeys they were given positive press and the masses looked up to them --- funny Hollywood crumbled when the contract system collapsed, when stars started picking their own films and TV came around and look at the likes of Debbie Reynolds, Ann Miller Mickey Rooney they all praised the studio system

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, I probably agree as well. I last saw Don Juan many decades ago & can't remember a single scene, but...3-strip Technicolor swashbuckler given the WAC treatment, most definitely count me in! I don't think The Three Musketeers or The Private Lives Of Elizabeth & Essex are great swashbuckling films, but they belong in my little swashbuckler collection.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Yup, I probably agree as well. I last saw Don Juan many decades ago & can't remember a single scene, but...3-strip Technicolor swashbuckler given the WAC treatment, most definitely count me in! I don't think The Three Musketeers or The Private Lives Of Elizabeth & Essex are great swashbuckling films, but they belong in my little swashbuckler collection.
Any Flynn where he swashbuckles is Flynn time!

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
And Errol Flynn was an accomplished writer too. His BEAM ENDS (1937) is a fine semi-biographical novel---
And here's a map of the voyage.

His novel SHOWDOWN was published in 1946. I would say that Errol’s compares favorably (with some similarities in plot and theme) to Joseph Conrad’s 1920 novel, THE RESCUE— which was made into a movie in 1929, starring Ronald Colman and a certain Lili Damita (Flynn's first wife).

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Is it a good read?
The Flynn autobiography is a very interesting one, though one takes the details with a grain of salt and in the context of when it was written. This and Mary Astor’s My Story were the first two star autobiographies I read as a teenager. Both were seen as unusually frank and somewhat scandalous, and I found them fascinating. Both paperback copies are long gone; I’ve kept the first edition hardcover books accumulated since by everyone from Ray Milland to Edward G. Robinson to Bette Davis’s multiple memoirs.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The Flynn autobiography is a very interesting one, though one takes the details with a grain of salt and in the context of when it was written. This and Mary Astor’s My Story were the first two star autobiographies I read as a teenager. Both were seen as unusually frank and somewhat scandalous, and I found them fascinating. Both paperback copies are long gone; I’ve kept the first edition hardcover books accumulated since by everyone from Ray Milland to Edward G. Robinson to Bette Davis’s multiple memoirs.
Great info --- is Flynn's still in print?

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Just released last February, Check it out with Amazon's 'Look Inside' feature---

Screenshot 2022-07-01 113610.png

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I remember being a teen and reading a TV guide saying this movie was going to be on and I was like great a swashbuckler. Imagine my disappointment when the movie started and it was starring an old man. I am now far from being a teen so maybe Flynn won't seem so old.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I remember being a teen and reading a TV guide saying this movie was going to be on and I was like great a swashbuckler. Imagine my disappointment when the movie started and it was starring an old man. I am now far from being a teen so maybe Flynn won't seem so old.
A lot of the swashbucklers did not age well - Tyrone Power near the end too they lived fast and hard Power's father died at a young age and maybe Power feared that BUT Flynn and Power were stars and even their later efforts were legendary - Flynn knew he was long in the tooth BUT Adv Of Don Juan is a terrific tip of the hat to his earlier efforts the production the costumes the cast the color the score SAYS Hollywood in its prime and the box office and fan reaction welcomed the old Flynn too Mr F said what a huge success it was!

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
That was quite something to say. I look forward to it for the production values and color alone.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
That was quite something to say. I look forward to it for the production values and color alone.
You are spot on ---- but when watching as even Mr F said in the podcast the film was made with tongue firmly in cheek - by this time Flynn had been in court cases with some serious charges so the fact that he was playing Don Juan was with all involved in making the film with a great inside joke - Alan Hale shines in this as does Viveca Lindfors the always great Fortunio Bonanova too just a fun film and the duel between Robert Douglas and Flynn is another well staged clastic -- just enjoy the entire film!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I'm 55 and thought EF looked old when I watched the BD 4 days ago!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
A lot of the swashbucklers did not age well - Tyrone Power near the end too they lived fast and hard Power's father died at a young age and maybe Power feared that BUT Flynn and Power were stars and even their later efforts were legendary - Flynn knew he was long in the tooth BUT Adv Of Don Juan is a terrific tip of the hat to his earlier efforts the production the costumes the cast the color the score SAYS Hollywood in its prime and the box office and fan reaction welcomed the old Flynn too Mr F said what a huge success it was!
The lifestyles of both Flynn and Power were a factor, infact Power died from a heart attack while on the set of his last movie, with George Sanders in 1959 Solomon & Sheba (Yul Brenner replaced Powers). This does not deminish the fabulous careers of either of these amazing men!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks