What's new

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
My first um exposure to the film in question was from a WB DVD set with some other movie/films (some of which have been released on blu-ray).
1690306048974.png

1690305748641.png

I thought Ms. Ball was miscast in this one - but I did find the Du Barry to be entertaining - but most of the other movie/films in the set were far better. I do plan ti get the blu-ray of Du Barry eventually. ...

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
You've hit it. THAT'S the point I was trying (however in-elegantly) to make! You have to like the characters in this type of farce and Merman could always bring charm and a sense of likability to any role she played. Hell, she's so likable that she even made us not realize that Mama Rose is a certified psychopath.

Lucy's May is neither charming nor likable and that's the issue. Lucy came to MGM in 1942 and, not knowing what to do with her, they parked her with the Freed Unit for a few years (a woman who couldn't sing, mind you) to decorate their Technicolor musicals. I've always thought she fared much better with Best Foot Forward, her sophomore outing.
As I haven't seen this, I don't know whether I'm accurate in terms of this specific picture, but in general, I find both Red Skelton and Virginia O'Brien inherently unlikable. Of course, both had long careers, especially Skelton, so it may be just me. Now I generally adore Lucy, but it sounds like this isn't the best way to appreciate her talents. As I recall, she had unkind things to say about the film, and couldn't understand why Crowther thought she was so good. So it appears I'm getting this for Gene Kelly's dance and the Technicolor. Hopefully, it will be one of those films about which Pauline Kael wrote, "it would be a good film to read by, if there were light enough in the theater."

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
In all seriousness, my aim wasn't to denigrate the charms of Miss Merman (honest!) but to point out that, if there is an obvious flaw in Lucy's portrayal, it's not based on a lack of sex appeal. I personally find that Lucy, ironically enough, just isn't all that much fun as May. Maybe it's because she's nervous making her MGM debut, but when she isn't mugging for the camera ("Crepes Suzette?" UGH!), she plays her too "straight" and it doesn't work.

In fact, I will go so far as to say that virtually nothing works in this movie. Arthur Freed was handed a smash Broadway hit that was, frankly, too dirty to adapt in 1942 without a major overhaul. It's shorn of almost all of its Porter score and, without the people pleasing chemistry of Lahr, Merman, and Grable (who finally became an overnight star on Broadway after thanklessly toiling for nearly 10 years in the movies) the show takes on a vulgar "everything but the kitchen sink" mentality with a parade of specialty numbers that destroy the charm and any cohesion the Broadway show must have had. It's a cynical adaptation and I've always found it big, boisterous, and generally awful.

That being said, I wouldn't miss having a beautiful blu-ray of it in my collection. How's that for a mixed message?
No need for me to even write a review. It's all right there in Will's post!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
You've hit it. THAT'S the point I was trying (however in-elegantly) to make! You have to like the characters in this type of farce and Merman could always bring charm and a sense of likability to any role she played. Hell, she's so likable that she even made us not realize that Mama Rose is a certified psychopath.

Lucy's May is neither charming nor likable and that's the issue. Lucy came to MGM in 1942 and, not knowing what to do with her, they parked her with the Freed Unit for a few years (a woman who couldn't sing, mind you) to decorate their Technicolor musicals. I've always thought she fared much better with Best Foot Forward, her sophomore outing.

I do like that the movie gives May a scene in which she openly tells Louis she's just using him for money.

While that sounds horrid on the surface, it shows she has a heart. She gives him every chance to back out and makes sure he understands their "marriage" will just be a business relationship.

Apparently Louis is too dumb to realize that means "yer never gettin' into my bloomers, son" but she warns him.

This doesn't make Lucy's portrayal likable, of course, but at least the film tries to paint her as someone with a conscience of sorts.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
To me this sums up 75% of MGM musicals and is exactly what I like about them.

And that's cool, but I need something with actual story and characters.

Musicals that're just vehicles for song/dance numbers and silliness don't work for me - though "Du Barry" is surprisingly funny at times.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
My God but this looks gorgeous! It's still a lousy movie as a whole but being able to appreciate the delicious production design in the most exquisite Technicolor sure makes it go down more easily than I've ever known it to before.

On a side note, I have a weird question regarding WAC releases as a whole and I'm not sure the best place to ask it. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed something going on with the new releases? This is the third experience I've had (the first two were the last WAC releases I bought, The Damned Don't Cry and Dangerous When Wet.) I opened the shrink wrap when I got home and set the disc down. Within about an hour, the paper cover started to ripple and slightly pucker as if I had gotten it wet. When it happened on the first two discs last month, I thought it was a fluke but now I'm not so sure.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm not sure if it's the heat wave we've had or if there's something in the plastic that's making the paper ripple when it's exposed to the air? The cover didn't look like this when I first opened it, it took about an hour. (I tried to snap a picture that shows the rippling...)

363976705_10230732980086512_6053742521868458795_n.jpg

Anyone??? Again, it's the third WAC release in a row and it's the damndest thing,

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I opened the shrink wrap when I got home and set the disc down. Within about an hour, the paper cover started to ripple and slightly pucker as if I had gotten it wet. When it happened on the first two discs last month, I thought it was a fluke but now I'm not so sure.
If you remove it, can you flatten it via your preferred flattening method? If so, does it wrinkle again when put back in? Sounds like humidity to me. FWIW, my two latest are Strawberry Blonde and Safe In Hell, and the inserts are flatter 'n pancakes.

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
FWIW, my two latest are Strawberry Blonde and Safe In Hell, and the inserts are flatter 'n pancakes.
I appreciate the response, thank you. I first seemed to notice it on the June WAC releases. The ones you mention are from April. I'd be curious to see if anyone else has any issues with the June or July discs.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
My God but this looks gorgeous! It's still a lousy movie as a whole but being able to appreciate the delicious production design in the most exquisite Technicolor sure makes it go down more easily than I've ever known it to before.

On a side note, I have a weird question regarding WAC releases as a whole and I'm not sure the best place to ask it. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed something going on with the new releases? This is the third experience I've had (the first two were the last WAC releases I bought, The Damned Don't Cry and Dangerous When Wet.) I opened the shrink wrap when I got home and set the disc down. Within about an hour, the paper cover started to ripple and slightly pucker as if I had gotten it wet. When it happened on the first two discs last month, I thought it was a fluke but now I'm not so sure.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm not sure if it's the heat wave we've had or if there's something in the plastic that's making the paper ripple when it's exposed to the air? The cover didn't look like this when I first opened it, it took about an hour. (I tried to snap a picture that shows the rippling...)

View attachment 192081

Anyone??? Again, it's the third WAC release in a row and it's the damndest thing,
Is the paper insert slightly oversized?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Has anyone else had this issue?

I don’t have these specific discs but in general I don’t think WAC uses the best quality printing for its inserts; the fine print in the credits can sometimes be difficult to read and not as clear/sharp as it should be, the paper seems a little thin, and sometimes the sizing can be a little off, and I’ve had that kind of warpage as seen in your photo. The summer heat during transportation probably isn’t doing it any favors but the problem I think is with the underlying materials and the heat is just exacerbating that.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin

View attachment 192081

That’s a ‘yes’ from me, Will.

Your post prompted me to have a close look through my recent, and fairly recent WAC arrivals.

Many are still in their shrink wrap - none of these are warped or rippled, including The Damned Don’t Cry.

However, of the ones that I have opened, Dangerous When Wet is rippled similarly to your Du Barry photo. So is the Courtship of Eddie’s Father (slightly less).

Hey There It’s Yogi Bear and The Boy with Green Hair have also rippled, but less noticeably.

Clash by Night has also been unwrapped (great film and sparkling transfer) but the cover has not rippled like the others.

I guess it could be the heat as it’s winter here and we have a fireplace in the room.

The restorations of all the recent WAC films that I’ve watched or sampled have been immaculate, and so I’m not overly concerned about the warped covers.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Is the paper insert slightly oversized?

That's what it looks like but, again, it wasn't like that when I first opened it. It sort of took an hour to ... grow (?) (like Topsy!)

The summer heat during transportation probably isn’t doing it any favors but the problem I think is with the underlying materials and the heat is just exacerbating that.

I'd agree with you except that it was sitting right next to some other (non-WAC) discs and the WACs are the only ones that seem to be affected

That’s a ‘yes’ from me, Will.

Your post prompted me to have a close look through my recent, and fairly recent WAC arrivals.

Many are still in their shrink wrap - none of these are warped or rippled, including The Damned Don’t Cry.

However, of the ones that I have opened, Dangerous When Wet is rippled similarly to your Du Barry photo. So is the Courtship of Eddie’s Father (slightly less).

Thanks Ramin! At least I know I'm not completely crazy (I hadn't thought to look at COURTSHIP, I will when I get home)

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I don't mean to derail the thread but I thought it was worth mentioning. Thanks!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross

View attachment 192081

The same thing happened to my copy of Dangerous When Wet--and that was long before the summer heat. I checked and the insert isn't oversized but very thin. It fits properly but when you take it out, it's a mass of ripples. This is the only Warner Archive that I've noticed issues with so far.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Will, as you know, I'm on the fence about this, but you may have nudged me over it.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Will-sorry about your slipcover wrinkling up. Fortunately I did not have that problem.

YES - it is gorgeous. I read that the film cost around 1.4 million to make but was a fairly big hit, grossing over 3 million it has its faults but do enjoy it. Even more so now with the wonderful pleasing technicolor.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I think RAH has the answer. The inserts are oversized and the tight shrink wrap holds them flat, but once removed the inserts start to buckle from the pressure of the undersized case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks