What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Announcement: Du Barry Was A Lady (1943) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
dnw2lA2.jpg

New 2023 1080p HD master from 4K scan of Nitrate Technicolor negatives!. Coming to Blu-ray July 31st!
DuBARRY WAS A LADY (1943)
Run Time: 101 Minutes
Subtitles: ENGLISH SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-MA 2.0 Mono
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.37:1 with side mattes
Product color: Color
DIsc Configuration-BD 50

Special Features: MGM Short SEEING HANDS, Barney Bear Cartoon BAH, WILDERNESS and the Original Theatrical Trailer.
Cast: Lucille Ball, Red Skelton, Gene Kelly, Virginia O' Brien

Hapless nightclub hatcheck boy Red Skelton loves glamorous chanteuse Lucille Ball. Handsome hoofer Gene Kelly loves her too. And Lucy? Lucy loves money. Then Red mistakenly gulps down a Mickey Finn and dreams he’s in 18th-century France. Before you can powder your wig, a throng of suitors – Red, Gene, King Louis XV, a dashing rebel, a sinister duke and just about everybody – loves Lucy! This glittery, tune-filled bonbon features a supporting cast of wags and wits (including the inimitable Zero Mostel) and three Cole Porter songs from the original Broadway smash: “Friendship,” “Katie Went to Haiti” and “Do I Love You?” Cherchez la Lucy for comedy, music and star power from Hollywood’s golden era.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think Warner FB announcement has the wrong release date. July 31st is a Monday. I believe August 1st will be the correct date.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
View attachment 186679

New 2023 1080p HD master from 4K scan of Nitrate Technicolor negatives!. Coming to Blu-ray July 31st!
DuBARRY WAS A LADY (1943)
Run Time: 101 Minutes
Subtitles: ENGLISH SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-MA 2.0 Mono
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.37:1 with side mattes
Product color: Color
DIsc Configuration-BD 50

Special Features: MGM Short SEEING HANDS, Barney Bear Cartoon BAH, WILDERNESS and the Original Theatrical Trailer.
Cast: Lucille Ball, Red Skelton, Gene Kelly, Virginia O' Brien

Hapless nightclub hatcheck boy Red Skelton loves glamorous chanteuse Lucille Ball. Handsome hoofer Gene Kelly loves her too. And Lucy? Lucy loves money. Then Red mistakenly gulps down a Mickey Finn and dreams he’s in 18th-century France. Before you can powder your wig, a throng of suitors – Red, Gene, King Louis XV, a dashing rebel, a sinister duke and just about everybody – loves Lucy! This glittery, tune-filled bonbon features a supporting cast of wags and wits (including the inimitable Zero Mostel) and three Cole Porter songs from the original Broadway smash: “Friendship,” “Katie Went to Haiti” and “Do I Love You?” Cherchez la Lucy for comedy, music and star power from Hollywood’s golden era.
I'm looking forward to this one! The old DVD looked okay but the fresh transfer should really make the three strip Technicolor pop! Fun movie, even the Skelton haters should enjoy this one.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My DVD of it went bad, so I rebought it several years ago. Now, that can be given away for what's sure to be a beauty on Blu-ray.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm looking forward to this one! The old DVD looked okay but the fresh transfer should really make the three strip Technicolor pop! Fun movie, even the Skelton haters should enjoy this one.

I probably qualify as a "Skelton hater" but I'm definitely buying this disc. Gene Kelly, Virginia O'Brien and Cole Porter!
Only for the Technicolor and for Ball. There's practically no Porter left.
Three good songs survive the transition from Broadway. Do I Love You has been a favorite song of mine ever since buying Ella Fitzgerald's two Cole Porter Song Book albums several decades ago

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Really looking forward to this one. With the WBMPI touch it should look spectacular!

I read in a Porter biography that MGM wanted Porter to rewrite the more ribald lyrics to some of the songs that were excised, but he requested that his income be deferred from 1942 (production took place in 1942) to 1943 for tax purposes. MGM refused, so what could have been a full Porter score didn't happen, unfortunately. Some of those songs were used as underscoring, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks