What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Witness for the Prosecution (re-dux) -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yet another Kino "re-issue" title that gives us an upgrade of 50%+ in data throughput, along with a requisite viewable difference in quality at close quarters.

A great film from Billy Wilder, that sports a terrific cast:

Tyrone Power, Marlene Dietrich and Charles Laughton, along with support from a number of actors you'll undoubtedly recognize.

Elsa Lanchester, John Williams, Henry Daniell, Ian Wolfe, Torin Thatcher, and Una O'Connor.

For those who care, this Very British drama was shot at M-G-M in Culver City.

A beautiful disc.

Image – 9

Audio – 9 (DTS-HD MA 2.0 Monaural)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 1

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely

Highly Recommended

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Witness-for-...82-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited by a moderator:

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
This title sounds familiar - another one I should watch before I die.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Mine's waiting for me at home as we speak. I'm so glad I resisted the urge to buy this when Kino first put it out. It saved me a double dip!

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
I love this as a Charles Laughton character piece, and it's worth having just for his amazingly sly performance, but I can't say the plot holds up. I've shown it to someone who'd never seen it before, and they immediately saw through a key plot element that's supposed to be a surprise. Not much suspense there. (I also find Tyrone Power surprisingly stiff as the beleaguered defendent; was he forced on Wilder by the studio or something?)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I love this as a Charles Laughton character piece, and it's worth having just for his amazingly sly performance, but I can't say the plot holds up. I've shown it to someone who'd never seen it before, and they immediately saw through a key plot element that's supposed to be a surprise. Not much suspense there. (I also find Tyrone Power surprisingly stiff as the beleaguered defendent; was he forced on Wilder by the studio or something?)

If you're talking about what I THINK you're talking about, I honestly believe that we're always supposed to see through it and feel ourselves clever for having done so. I mean, the surprise to the audience isn't the "what" but the "why" after all. I've always treated it as a red herring.

Of course, If you're talking about something else, then I apologize (but never mind :))

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
In the play version,
I don't think the audience is meant to see through the disguise (the character is given a bogus credit in the playbill), but in the movie, the actress is possessed with a slight speech impediment which makes her disguise easy to penetrate,
something Billy Wilder had to have known would happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks