What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Tap Roots – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Let's begin with numbers:

1948 saw the release of 51 3-strip productions. Four from Universal.

The most important for the format in that year - The Adventures of Don Juan, Blanche Fury (a UK production shot by Guy Green and Geoffrey Unsworth), Easter Parade. Joan of Arc, The Paleface, The Pirate, The Red Shoes, Rope, So Dear to My Heart, A Song is Born, Three Godfathers, Three Musketeers, Words and Music...

and Tap Roots - a film that I'd never previously seen in color outside of a 16mm Kodachrome reduction.

To be honest, I was expecting it to appear much like the rest of the 3-strips from Universal, a quality recombine to an Eastman dupe, reasonably representative of the format.

This was far more.

The image harvest is either highly maneuvered, or of recent heritage.

Stability, color, shadow detail, black levels, all in their proper places. My only small complaint is that I felt it appeared a point or two heavy at times, but generally beautifully attained that 3-strip look.

One could try to go with the basics, and call it a lower-budgeted GWTW wanna-be, but this is a very decent film. Not great. But very decent.

The overall image resolution made it obvious that Boris Karloff as a Mississippi Choctaw, wasn't doing his own riding.

Susan Hayward is magnificent in 3-strip, as is her older sister played by Julie London.

Ward Bond, Van Heflin, Richard Long and the newly minted Whitfield Connor round out the main cast. Look for Elmo Lincoln in a bit as a Confederate sergeant, and Hank Worden in a bit.

Not one of the greats, but with an interesting history, and in this case a rarity as a film that actually digitally mimics Technicolor

Image – 4.5

Audio – 4.5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Recommended

RAH

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I somehow have never seen this film. Van Heflin has become one of my favorite actors (top 5), over the years, so this is a definite buy for me.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I purchased this awhile back, and I’m surprised that so few people have talked about this release.
It looks gorgeous, and I thought more people would respond to that.
The movie is rather good. Karloff is in it a lot, and Susan Hayward is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks