What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Let's Dance -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One might hope that a film starring Betty Hutton (first billing) and Fred Astaire would be something special and terrific.

Let's Dance, directed by Norman Z. McLeod, a long-time Paramount contract filmmaker, responsible for the likes of Monkey Business( 1931), Topper and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, and The Paleface might be better.

It isn't.

The release is probably best for Astaire and Hutton devotees.

Filmed in 3-strip Technicolor, Kino's new Blu-ray, via Paramount is a faded-looking, very un-Technicolorish affair. The basics are there. The general tonalities are in place, but it lacks any vibrancy. First clue is the main title sequence. No clean-up, but little is probably necessary. I'm presuming this is base upon an older IP re-combine that's serviceable, but nothing special.

Image – 5.5

Audio – 8

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 2

Slipcover rating - n/a

Upgrade from DVD - No reason not to

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Lets-Dance-B...=1706954163&sprefix=let's+dance,aps,79&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Can't wait to get this! I have never seen it and I love Betty Hutton. It's a shame more of her movies aren't available on Home video.

Well, an even half of her films (10 out of 20) are available on home video. And that's just counting BD, DVD, and LD; not VHS or Beta. The sad part is that only three of those ten (and one of her short films) are in HD.

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Well, an even half of her films (10 out of 20) are available on home video. And that's just counting BD, DVD, and LD; not VHS or Beta. The sad part is that only three of those ten (and one of her short films) are in HD.
Ya very true and a few of them like Stork Club & The Perils of Pauline are public domain so the quality is not great. I did come across The Spanish DVD release of Red, Hot and Blue on ebay today. Does anyone know how the quality is and if it's region free?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 27

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
I'm a fan of both Astaire & Hutton. I've seen Let's Dance once and I won't be buying it.
@filmnoirguy, I'm a huge fan of both actors as well. Can you tell why you don't like this particular film? The consensus seems to be that it's mediocre, and I'm just wondering how it falls flat. I've never seen it, but I was going to make a blind buy based just on my admiration for those involved in making it.

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
@filmnoirguy, I'm a huge fan of both actors as well. Can you tell why you don't like this particular film? The consensus seems to be that it's mediocre, and I'm just wondering how it falls flat. I've never seen it, but I was going to make a blind buy based just on my admiration for those involved in making it.
There are 3 reasons I didn't like Let's Dance: The plot is Dull. The performances are Dull. Even the music is Dull. Somewhere in the past I read that Hutton and Astaire didn't get along while making the film. And their lack of rapport comes through loud and clear. If you haven't already gotten it, I highly recommend Betty Hutton's best musical, the Blu-ray version of Annie Get Your Gun. I originally had it on DVD and was disappointed in the print quality. But the Blu-ray restoration is spectacular, as is the musical!

Last edited:

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
There are 3 reasons I didn't like Let's Dance: The plot is Dull. The performances are Dull. Even the music is Dull. Somewhere in the past I read that Hutton and Astaire didn't get along while making the film. And their lack of rapport comes through loud and clear. If you haven't already gotten it, I highly recommend Betty Hutton's best musical, the Blu-ray version of Annie Get Your Gun. I originally had it on DVD and was disappointed in the print quality. But the Blu-ray restoration is spectacular, as is the musical!
I haven't watched Let's Dance in it's entirety yet but most of the dance scenes are uploaded on youtube. I honestly don't find the dances dull. Ya this film is obviously not up there with The Band Wagon or Easter Parade but The music numbers are enjoyable in my opinion. I think most people who are buying this blu-ray are buying it for it's stars Fred & Betty and also the fact that it's a piece of Musical film history.

Last edited:

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
Thanks, @filmnoirguy. As to Annie Get Your Gun, absolutely I have the WAC Blu-ray and love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks