What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ In the Heights -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Let's put entertainment value aside for a moment, and talk strictly technical.

4k.

Film.

Data.

There are differences, beginning with image capture.

But at the pinnacle of each are formats that yield the most superb imagery possible, even when enlarged, ie projected on a huge screen.

As far as film is concerned, it's 65mm origination, regardless of shape - Super and Ultra-Panavision (Camera 65) and IMAX.

For data, it's 8k capture, which in terms of our home theater possibilities is a rara avis.

7,680 by 4,320 pixels.

That four times the resolution of 4k UHD.

What's out there?

James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2, shot with a Red Dragon Weapon. A lot of bandwidth for data capture during production.

Examples for Red: Parts of Stranger Things, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Hunters, The Aeronauts, Dragged Across Concrete.

The Highwayman and Midsommar were captured with Panavision Millenniums.

But what do we actually have a 4k releases?

From what I'm seeing, Dragged Across Concrete, and the two Panavision productions - Midsummer and now In the Heights.

And they look amazing.

Well beyond reference quality for 4k releases.

Great. Done with tech.

I reported early on In the Heights, which I saw on a 37 foot screen in 4k and with Dolby Atmos, and was blown away by it. Glorious production values, superb acting, a bit of music and dancing. Just a superb entertainment.

Warner Bros. is doing right by it in releasing in 4k UHD, a downrez from the original files, and the way that the film was presented theatrically.

For those who have little to no appreciation of the technical and are fearful of musical entertainment and a terrific storyline. Best to steer clear.

All others, grab a copy.

If I were on the fence about upgrading to 4k - between this and Midsummer - I'd no longer be hesitating.

For those on the fence, In the Heights comes with a standard issue Blu-ray disc, absolutely free, with each set. Can't be too prepared for when that lottery ticket comes in.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5+

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
SOLD! Loved it on the stage, loved it on the screen. Will love it forever more in 4K UHD!

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I was wracking my brain trying to figure out what the hell Mr. Harris meant by "Dragged Across Concrete." Could not imagine what hilarious jocular reference this referred to.

But low and behold -- it's an actual film. Ignorant me. Son of a gun. Break over. Back on my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks