What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Announcement: Westward the Women (1951) (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1692133845419.png

Coming to Blu-ray September 26th!

NEW 2023 1080p HD Master from 4K Scan of Preservation Elements!

WESTWARD THE WOMEN (1951)

Run Time: 116 Minutes
Subtitles: ENGLISH SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-MA 2.0 Mono
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.37:1 with side mattes
Product color: B&W
Disc Configuration-BD 50

Special Features: Audio Commentary by Author/Film Historian Scott Eyman; Vintage M-G-M featurette “Challenge of the Wilderness”, Lux Radio Theater Broadcast 12/29/52 with Robert Taylor and Denise Darcel (audio only), M-G-M Tom & Jerry Cartoons: “Texas Tom” (HD) and “The Duck Doctor” (HD); Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)
Cast: Robert Taylor, Denise Darcel, Hope Emerson, John McIntire, Julie Bishop.

They are rugged pioneers and brave trailblazers who tame the wild west. These are the women of the great frontier – that’s right – the women! Based on historical records, this wagon-train saga details a 2,000-mile journey from Chicago to California. The men seek gold; the women seek matrimony. Both strike pay dirt! Buck Wyatt (Robert Taylor) is a tough, experienced scout who leads a wagon train comprised of two ex-showgirls (Denise Darcel and Julie Bishop), a hearty widow (Beverly Dennis) and fifteen men who function as guides. When one of the men disobeys Buck’s orders not to fraternize with the ladies, Buck shoots him, causing the others to desert. Instead of turning back, the determined women insist on going on, learning to ride, shoot, and drive mules. Although treacherous terrain and a deadly ambush lay ahead, these tough ladies are filled with the American frontier spirit, and nothing will stop them! Based on an original story by Frank Capra, and directed by signature gusto by the masterful William Wellman, Westward the Women is a cinematic masterpiece!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
IT WAS. This film was purposely shot to look like it’s black and white, but it is in fact, in color.
It's in B&W. I think you're confusing it with another Wellman film, Track Of The Cat (1954) which is in CinemaScope and color but Wellman gives it a monochromatic palette to give it a B&W look with rare bursts of color (like Robert Mitchum's red jacket).

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
It's in B&W. I think you're confusing it with another Wellman film, Track Of The Cat (1954) which is in CinemaScope and color but Wellman gives it a monochromatic palette to give it a B&W look with rare bursts of color (like Robert Mitchum's red jacket).
Yes. You’re exactly right. I got those two mixed up before. Thank you for reminding me.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Westward the Women is a spectacular and beautiful western classic! One of my favorite all-time westerns, a saga with a compelling story that really gets to my sentimental self. Even better to watch with your own special woman, who often have never seen it before and to whom it becomes an instant favorite too!

I have the old WAC DVD (a box-office hit in 1951, I have the original insert, one-sheet and lobby cards too), glad that they're finally getting this out on a new Blu!

Last edited:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It's been decades since I saw this film, back when it used to regularly turn up on the CBS Late Movie. I don't think I ever caught it on TCM. I liked it, but don't remember it as being quite as compelling as everybody here thinks it is. I will pre-order this and take a deeper look at it. Sounds like I have been under-rating it all these years.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I like Robert Taylor, I love Westerns and I enjoy and admire the work of William Wellman. This is an automatic purchase for me.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Looking forward to watching this movie for the first time.
I have some listen to the LUX broadcast and I am glad it's included.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hanging my head, I must shamefacedly admit that I've never seen this movie before. Thankfully, after all this praise, I'm looking forward to it now.
Frank Capra wrote the original story this film was based on but couldn't get the movie made so he passed it on to his good friend William Wellman. Also, George Feltenstein said on the "The Extras" podcast that "Westward the Women" was one of Warner Archive's top ten selling DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks