What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Announcement: Dangerous When Wet (1953) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
resize.jpeg

Coming to Blu-ray from Warner Archive June 27th
NEW 2023 1080p HD master from 4K scan of Original Technicolor® Camera Negatives!

DANGEROUS WHEN WET (1953)
Run Time 96:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.37:1 with side mattes
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50

Special Features: "C'est La Guerre "-Unused musical outtake with Darcel and Lamas; Classic Tom & Jerry cartoon "THE CAT AND THE MERMOUSE" (HD); Classic Pete Smith Specialty short "THIS IS A LIVING?"; Audio-only demo recordings by Lyricist Johnny Mercer; Audio-only interview with Esther Williams and Dick Simmons; Original Theatrical Trailer
Cast: Esther Williams, Fernando Lamas, Jack Carson, Charlotte Greenwood, Denise Darcel.
Esther Williams and Fernando Lamas star in this musical, romantic aquacade -- Williams as a girl from Arkansas who has vowed to swim the English Channel to raise the money to save her family farm; and Lamas as the rich man who wins her heart and almost blocks her from reaching her goal . . . but who comes to realize that the woman of his dreams is Dangerous When Wet. Featuring a delightful original music score written by Johnny Mercer and Arthur Schwartz, the film is best remembered for Esther's famous swim with M-G-M's beloved animated characters Tom & Jerry.

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Technicolor should make this a must see with the way Warner Archive has been zeroing in on perfection in its presentation on these films.

I'm super excited for this one because it's always looked "meh" on home video before now. Here's hoping for a miraculous restoration, which I'm sure it will be else we wouldn't be getting it!

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
This is the film that features the catchy morning song "I Got Out of Bed on the Right Side", sung by the cast of family members at the opening of the film. The late critic Gene Siskel once said that this is the song that got him through boot camp when he was in the army. He sang the song to himself and it motivated him to get out of bed. It's that kind of bright song.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Still waiting for Easy to Love with the greatest of all the Esther/Busby Berkeley numbers. Still the most spectacular to this day. I know I'm so ungrateful. But why not have the best?

Daniel_BB

Agent
Real Name
Daniel BARBIEUX
Still waiting for Easy to Love with the greatest of all the Esther/Busby Berkeley numbers. Still the most spectacular to this day. I know I'm so ungrateful. But why not have the best?
"Easy to Love " is not considered as the best Miss Williams's movie but I agree it is really entertaining. According to what I read on the web, the most spectacular is "Million Dollar Mermaid" also including segments directed by Busby Berkeley.

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
That waterskiing finale is the best thing they ever did together. So exhilarating.
Those swings coming out of the smoke in MDM is pretty amazing as well. It looks terrifying to have done.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
"Easy to Love " is not considered as the best Miss Williams's movie but I agree it is really entertaining. According to what I read on the web, the most spectacular is "Million Dollar Mermaid" also including segments directed by Busby Berkeley.
I liked Dangerous When Wet when I won a old contest in the NY Daily News and that was the prize - just for the heck of it which of her films are considered THE BEST? This one though will be stunning in restored quality!

Last edited:

Daniel_BB

Agent
Real Name
Daniel BARBIEUX
I liked Dangerous When Wet when I won a old contest in the NY Daily News and that was the prize - just for the heck of it which of her films are considered THE BEST? This one though will be stunning in restored quality!
I confess I like them all but Million Dollar Mermaid is my favourite one, thanks to Miss Williams and Busby Berkeley. I have one question, do you know the reason why the Warner Archive Blu-rays are not available in Europe? Copyright issues?

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
No love for Bathing Beauty - her first aquacade, and still the most enjoyable of her aquatic screen spectacles! So much to love there - Xavier Cugat, Harry James, Basil Rathbone, Carlos Ramirez, Janise Paige, Ethel Smith, and, of course, Red Skelton in a tutu. MGM really took the high-high-high road on this one, with lavishly appointed production values.

Madame Zarka (addressing Skelton): Oh Mr. Elliott. Walking is not down there (pointing to his pigeon-toed feet), It's up here! (smacking him silly on the forehead).

Elliott: I've been using the wrong end for years!

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Wasn't that the one to star Red Skelton yet they changed the title and sold it on Williams yet they remained friends?

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
I'd say "Million Dollar Mermaid" has the most jaw-dropping aqua sequences - the ones they chose for the purpose of astounding new audiences in "That's Entertainment!". And "Neptune's Daughter" has the Oscar-winning song "Baby, It's Cold Outside". I'd say every Esther Williams musical benefits from her glowing presence. And although I'm especially partial to "Thrill of a Romance"(1945), "Skirts Ahoy!"(1952) and "Jupiter's Darling"(1955), "Dangerous When Wet" is definitely the best movie she ever made. Great script, lovely songs, fine cast working under a sympathetic director (Charles Walters) who knew his way around musicals. About 50 years ago I wrote a fan letter to Ms Williams. She sent back a nice hand-written reply in which she stated that - among the films she'd made - "Dangerous When Wet" was her own favorite.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
It's funny in That's Entertainment ll Gene Kelly glowingly introduces the Williams' segment. Then read what she has to say about him in her auto bio. Scorching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks