What's new

VistaVision--film by film chat and vote (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Keith Cobby said:
I have just looked through amazon.co.uk's list of future blu-ray releases. Vertigo (region free) is scheduled for 23 September as a stand-alone release.
With or without the original mono soundtrack?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
ROclockCK said:
One title that hasn't been scheduled yet, but might be worth a go on Blu-ray, is George Cukor's Heller in Pink Tights (1960). Judging by the overall quality of Paramount's 2005 DVD, whether the home studio or Warners ran with it, they would at least have something in pretty decent condition to work from. Actually, I was a little startled by how well Heller's SD transfer upscaled to 1080p. Ditto for Li'l Abner.

I still think Paramount/Warners are missing a niche opportunity here by not releasing a specifically branded VistaVision series on Blu-ray.
I agree completely.

Another Sophia Loren Vista Vision movie is It Started In Naples with gorgeous photography by Robert Surtees. (What was he doing away from MGM at that stage?) The DVD also suggests the elements are free of dirt and scratches. I'd love a BRD of the same quality as To Catch A Thief.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
There are loads of VistaVision titles that could be released based on the decent DVDs I have. A VV branded series is a great idea, something Twilight Time would do well with a limited run. If Warners aren't interested perhaps they should give another distributor the opportunity.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Since I doubt anybody else is going to mention them, how about the slough of Japanese VistaVision productions from the 1970s and 80s? (Vengeance is Mine, In the Realm of the Senses, Venus Wars, etc. ?)

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
I'd also love HELLER IN PINK TIGHTS on BD. Also would like a blu-ray of another Loren Paramount film from the same year, Michael Curtiz's A BREATH OF SCANDAL - beautiful production with a great cast. Along with "NAPLES" this would make a terrific Loren/Paramount set -- Abbondanza!!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Well, as 2014 draws to a close, where do we stand in terms of VistaVision titles on blu-ray? And what are your personal top three titles that aren't on blu that you'd like to see?

Here are three VistaVision titles where an HD restoration already seems to have been done, because you can stream them in HD at Amazon:

Artists and Models, a very funny 1955 comedy staring Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis, and Shirley MacLaine

We're No Angels, which is also a funny offbeat comedy starring Humphrey Bogart in one of his last roles

The Court Jester, which is perhaps Danny Kaye's finest film and looks fantastic in HD.

I would like to see all of these on blu-ray. Would Warner Archives be possible? Or maybe just a regular WB release?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
King Vidor's War and Peace, starring Henry Fonda, Audrey Hepburn, and Mel Ferrer, with a score by Nino Rota and cinematography by Jack Cardiff, is coming from Warner Bros. in a few months. It's a flawed film with many good elements imho. Warner is releasing this VistaVision title from 1956 in a few months with a list price of only $15.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
My top 3 VistaVision titles are:

High Society

Artists & Models

The Court Jester

So far this year we have only had Gunfight at the OK Corral (Warners). Richard III was released by Network although the Criterion was released in 2013.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
benbess said:
The Court Jester, which is perhaps Danny Kaye's finest film and looks fantastic in HD.
Which now is in the hands of Warner.
Who has not only--NOT ONLY, mind you--banished it to the Archive, but stuck it on a bulk double-feature disk with "The Five Pennies".

Here's one of those cases where Olive should come to the rescue.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ejanss said:
Which now is in the hands of Warner.Who has not only--NOT ONLY, mind you--banished it to the Archive, but stuck it on a bulk double-feature disk with "The Five Pennies".Here's one of those cases where Olive should come to the rescue.
Unfortunately Olive can't.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Ejanss said:
Which now is in the hands of Warner.
Who has not only--NOT ONLY, mind you--banished it to the Archive, but stuck it on a bulk double-feature disk with "The Five Pennies".

Here's one of those cases where Olive should come to the rescue.
You're kidding. And DVD only? Now that Warner has an agreement with Criterion would a blu from them be possible? Seems like it would be one of their most commercial titles from this era....

The Five Pennies, as you know, is also a very good film. It's much more drama than comedy, but I thought it was quite effective. It also looks great in HD and if you have amzn Prime you can stream it in HD for "free."

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
benbess said:
You're kidding. And DVD only? Now that Warner has an agreement with Criterion would a blu from them be possible? Seems like it would be one of their most commercial titles from this era....The Five Pennies, as you know, is also a very good film. It's much more drama than comedy, but I though it was quite effective. It also looks great in HD and if you have amzn Prime you can stream it in HD for "free."
Warner has an agreement with Paramount. It more than likely prevents them from licensing it out to another party. We need to give them a chance, they have been working on bringing out Blu's from Paramount but it depends on the elements.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've said these before, but they're still my top three:

The Leather Saint
The Desperate Hours
Li'l Abner

and, of course, One-Eyed Jacks, but I'm not sure that's available.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Matt Hough said:
I've said these before, but they're still my top three:

The Leather Saint
The Desperate Hours
Li'l Abner

and, of course, One-Eyed Jacks, but I'm not sure that's available.
I don't know about now, but in 1994, it was available on Laserdisc, and what's more, Paramount was well aware of what they had, as the blurb on the back of the jacket proves. By the standards of twenty years ago, this Laserdisc was a revelation.

IMG_1376.JPG

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
davidmatychuk said:
I don't know about now, but in 1994, it was available on Laserdisc, and what's more, Paramount was well aware of what they had, as the blurb on the back of the jacket proves. By the standards of twenty years ago, this Laserdisc was a revelation.

attachicon.gif
IMG_1376.JPG
Oh, sure, I just meant available in the sense of legal rights. Seems like the rights are tied up in some way or the remaining elements are damaged, or some problem that prevents its availability in the same way that my three other choices are available if Paramount/Warners wanted to do them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks