What's new

VistaVision--film by film chat and vote (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
karipu said:
My most wanted:

Joker Is Wild

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416811143.664390.jpg
Mine too. Look at that poster and then imagine Mitzi Gaynor's legs in high definition!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
davidmatychuk said:
I don't know about now, but in 1994, it was available on Laserdisc, and what's more, Paramount was well aware of what they had, as the blurb on the back of the jacket proves. By the standards of twenty years ago, this Laserdisc was a revelation.

attachicon.gif
IMG_1376.JPG
I seem to remember a response from a Paramount Executive on this forum a couple of years ago stating that "One Eyed Jacks" would not be considered because the market was already flooded with PD copies.

This is one title that deserves to be rescued from PD Hell.

Doug.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Keith Cobby said:
The market is flooded with terrible PD copies. I am sure there is enough demand/curiosity for a quality blu-ray release. I suspect the real reason is that it is not a favourite title of a Paramount executive.
Criterion has no problem whatever salvaging PD copies (no rights), as long as the prints CAN be salvaged, and most people prefer to accept them as the "true" edition from a professional studio.
Paramount is just too cheap to spend the plastic.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
It would be interesting to know what shape the elements are in. I was hopeful that under the Warners deal with Paramount more of their VistaVision titles would be released. I don't know whether Paramount titles have been released through their Archive programme or whether the Archive releases have just been for titles Warners own. Warners blu-ray releases through the Archive are presumably for titles where little work (expense) is required and this probably means that many of the titles we want will never be released.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Now that WB is working with Criterion, doesn't that mean that Paramount's library is up for grabs too? My guess is that Paramount has probably done a pretty good job at preserving most of its VV titles....

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Keith Cobby said:
It would be interesting to know what shape the elements are in.
A couple Archive titles I've bought had to be "banished" to the WA because the only remaining hi-def sources were from HD cable broadcast, like TCM and MGMHD, couldn't be upgraded to Blu, and had to stay on DVD.
(Usually when they have the "Mastered from the best sources available" disclaimer, you know what unavailable sources they're referring to.)

Given that Paramount's already had some nice film-mastered prints of Court Jester in the last few years, I suspect that not to be the case here, although that was just for DVD.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I think the only new VistaVision title released this year is Gunfight at the OK Corral and that was announced last year. Top of my VV list is High Society which is an MGM title and it is reported that this shows up very well on HD television, so we may assume that this is in good shape for a blu-ray release. Odd that this hasn't been announced when lesser title have been. The VV titles in the Martin & Lewis DVD set (vol 2) also look good enough to me for a blu-ray release.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
benbess said:
Now that WB is working with Criterion, doesn't that mean that Paramount's library is up for grabs too? My guess is that Paramount has probably done a pretty good job at preserving most of its VV titles....
I doubt that Warner can license any Paramount titles to Criterion. There is usually a clause preventing any sub-licensing. However Paramount has worked with Criterion many times over the past. So it would appear that there is not an interest from Criterion on those titles.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
ahollis said:
I doubt that Warner can license any Paramount titles to Criterion. There is usually a clause preventing any sub-licensing.However Paramount has worked with Criterion many times over the past. So it would appear that there is not an interest from Criterion on those titles.
Why wouldn't Criterion be interested in:

The Desperate Hours, directed by Wyler and starring Bogart and March

The Court Jester, a spectacular comedy starring Danny Kaye

The Tin Star, a tense Western directed by Mann and starring Fonda and Perkins

or probably 3-4 nearly equally worthy titles. Is Criterion that snooty?

Perhaps so...Sigh.

But then surely Twilight Time would be interested.....?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
benbess said:
Why wouldn't Criterion be interested in:The Desperate Hours, directed by Wyler and starring Bogart and MarchThe Court Jester, a spectacular comedy starring Danny KayeThe Tin Star, a tense Western directed by Mann and starring Fonda and Perkinsor probably 3-4 nearly equally worthy titles. Is Criterion that snooty? Perhaps so...Sigh.But then surely Twilight Time would be interested.....?
Well Criterion hasn't released them and they have had a relationship with Paramount for many years and Twilight Time does not have an agreement with Paramount.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgLqb6G1Ihw&feature=player_detailpage[/media]

There must have been trouble in the booth. :lol:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dammit. I was watching a disc tonight...and am taping it on my DVR.

Oh well.

I guess that's what the "delete" button is for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks