What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Veronica Mars season 1 (ongoing thread) (3 Viewers)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
Well then I am missing something because I read the post above with the link about the DVD release and it specifically says that it will be in 16:9 widescreen . . .

I know there was some discussion on the DVD thread about whether it would be fullscreen or widescreen, but I thought the "official" announcement with the release date cleared that up. And I watch the show on regular UPN in 4:3 and I will be buying the DVD regardless, so it doesn't matter to me. But this is not the DVD thread so I guess this is O/T.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Oops, my bad. It was in the DVD thread that one of posters got an email from Rob Thomas that said it would be 4:3.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, now I feel better. :)

I did see that on the DVD thread, but I guess I thought that RT sent the e-mail before the "official" announcement was made about the DVD being released on October 11.

To get back on topic . . . Veronica Mars airs tonight (Wed) on UPN (9pm ET) and it's a great episode for anyone who's been thinking of catching this show on repeats.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Some interesting casting news for the next season. :)

It also appears the DVDs ARE going to be 16:9.

CHARISMA CARPENTER AND STEVE GUTTENBERG JOIN THE CAST OF UPN’S "VERONICA MARS"

Charisma Carpenter ("Angel") and Steve Guttenberg ("The Poseidon Adventure") have joined the cast of UPN’s VERONICA MARS, beginning with the critically acclaimed drama’s second season premiere.

Character Descriptions Below:

Carpenter will play Kendall Casablancas, a sexy trophy wife and stepmother to brothers Dick (Ryan Hansen) and Cassidy "Beaver" (Kyle Gallner) Casablancas, two of Veronica’s (Kristen Bell) rival, affluent schoolmates. She will appear in at least six episodes.

Meanwhile, Guttenberg will star as Woody Goodman, a charismatic major league baseball team owner and leading candidate in the local race for mayor of Neptune, Calif. To show his support for the community, his daughter will be transferring from her private school to Neptune High. He will appear in at least seven episodes.

VERONICA MARS stars Kristen Bell ("Reefer Madness") as a smart, fearless 18-year-old apprentice private investigator dedicated to solving the toughest mysteries of her wealthy seaside community, Neptune, Calif., where the rich and powerful make the rules, own the town and the high school, and desperately try to keep their dirty little secrets just that...secret.

http://www.whedon.info/article.php3?id_article=10374

Interesting bit of news. I can't say I'm disappointed. Charisma seems appropriate for the role.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
That's cool. I'm curious how many other Buffy alum will traipse through Neptune...I do hope Carpenter's character is not too one-note. I get a little weary of her playing variations of early Cordelia.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
They sound like a couple of appropriate additions to the cast. I really find Charisma Carpenter entertaining to watch. I've never seen her on Buffy or Angel (just a few episodes of Charmed) so however she plays her role is okay by me.

The more I read that the season 1 DVD set will be 16:9, the more I look forward to buying it in October!

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
Here is an update on the episodes airing on CBS over the next three Friday nights at 8pm ET:

July 29: Pilot and An Echolls Family Christmas (eps 1, 10)
August 5: Clash of the Tritons (ep 12)
August 12: Ruskie Business (ep 15)

And the remaining schedule of repeats airing on UPN on Wednesdays at 9pm ET:

July 27: Ruskie Business (15)
August 3: Betty and Veronica (16)
August 10: Kane's and Abel's (17)
August 17: Weapons of Class Destruction (18)
August 24: Hot Dogs (19)
August 31: M.A.D. (20)
September 7: A Trip to the Dentist (21)
September 14: Leave it to Beaver (22 - season finale)

September 28: Season Two premiere
(edited to change premiere date)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm assuming those on CBS will be in HD? I get my UPN station off my satellite in standard def, so I haven't seen the show in HD yet!

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
According to my local listings, CBS will be airing Veronica Mars in HD.

I think I read somewhere that VM has the lowest budget of any hour-long network drama, which doesn't surprise me, considering the network and the ratings. But I think they do a great job with the look of the show, given their low budget, although I've read reviews that criticize the "cheap" look of the production.

I guess I care a lot more about the quality of the writing and the acting, and given that VM is miles ahead of most network fare on those counts, I don't notice much else. Although I like the cool camera work and all the filters on the various types of flashbacks, so whatever they do works for me.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I agree. I can see it has a low budget, but it definitely doesn't show. It sort of reminds me of what Angel/Buffy did. BECAUSE the shows had low budgets they were forced to make creative decisions about how to hide this... which ended up making both shows have a very interesting visual style.

Compared to the boring look of most of the other series' on the air... VM outshines them all.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
NBC Takes Friday; 'Mars' OK for CBS
(Saturday, July 30 08:38 AM)

NBC won the ratings race Friday, but the more interesting battle was between cult favorites "Veronica Mars" and "Arrested Development," with the former's run on CBS winning out.

"Dateline," 4.5/10, won the 8 p.m. hour for NBC. Reruns of "8 Simple Rules," 2.7/6, and "Hope & Faith," 2.8/6, put ABC in second. A showing of "Veronica Mars" on CBS (a Viacom sibling of the show's usual home, UPN) averaged 2.5/5, good enough for third. UPN came in fourth with the movie "Gang of Roses." Two episodes of "Arrested Development" averaged 1.5/3 for FOX. The WB trailed with "What I Like About You" and "Blue Collar TV."

Things stayed pretty much the same at 9 p.m., with "Dateline" improving slightly to 4.7/9 to hold its lead. ABC averaged 2.8/5 with a second "Hope & Faith" and "Less Than Perfect." Another hour of "Veronica Mars" on CBS came in at 2.3/5, tying for third with UPN's movie. A second hour of "Arrested Development" on FOX tied for fifth with The WB's "Reba" and "Living with Fran."

If I'm not mistaken, the pilot aired on CBS scored higher than any episode of VM to date. That's some good exposure. Hopefully next season the ratings will have improved a bit.

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
yeah I watched the show for the first time last night, and was impressed. I will be trying to catch some more episodes or picking it up on dvd.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
NBC's newsmagazine "Dateline" won the 8 p.m. hour with a 4.6/9. ABC took second with reruns of "8 Simple Rules," 2.6/6, and "Hope & Faith," 2.7/6. "Veronica Mars" continued its tryout on CBS and came in third with a 2.5/5. UPN finished fourth with the movie "American Outlaws." FOX got a 1.9/4 from two episodes of "Arrested Development," which beat The WB's "What I Like About You" and "Blue Collar TV."

"Dateline" improved to 5.5/11, the night's best rating, at 9 p.m. ABC stayed in second, averaging 2.8/6 with "Hope & Faith" and "Less Than Perfect." "The Cut," 2.3/4, kept CBS in third, just ahead of UPN's movie, which finished with a 2.2/4. "Reba" and "Living with Fran" put The WB in a tie for fifth with FOX, which aired another hour of "Arrested Development."

ABC took over the lead at 10 p.m. with "20/20," 4.7/9. "Crossing Jordan" averaged 4.0/7 for NBC, and CBS' "Numb3rs" repeat came in at 3.1/6.

www.zap2it.com

:) Mars reruns continue to score well for CBS. Not bad at all.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
According to The Futon Critic, the season two premiere for Veronica Mars has been pushed back a week to September 28. I guess this is so it won't have to compete against the season premiere of Lost.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Well, now it's competing with the season premieres of every other show in that timeslot. But I guess since none of them have built an audience yet...

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
According to the Futon Critic (again), the season premiere of Veronica Mars on September 28 will not be competing with the season premiere for any other show. The new series Criminal Minds will be premiering in that time slot, but the actual season premiere of CM is on Sep 22.

Plus, I don't think there will be much overlap in the audience for those two shows. CM looks like a standard CSI-type procedural show set in the FBI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks