What's new

Supergirl - season 3 (The CW) (1 Viewer)

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I'm finally up to date on Supergirl. I'm thinking a shorter season might help this show. It's become rudderless. Meandering from character to character and not advancing an episode story, let alone a season arc. Last week's show felt like it had nothing to do with the prior episode. Recaps aside of course. They keep losing the momentum with the Reign story line. Shorter season might equal less BS.

Does anyone else think they should quit mentioning Superman in the opening of the show? It's so obvious that he should be involved in finding out more about Reign and the other world killers. In the first year they would a least acknowledge the elephant in the room and have him busy or texting Kara. It's hard to like lead characters when they don't appear very smart.

At some point, this show will realize that romantic entanglements whether neither character is the title character don't work.
This is a major problem in this series. Too many sub characters with nothing to do, so contrived relationships abound. Why keep introducing new characters if you aren't serving the established ones yet? And when they have the good sense to get rid of them, they bring them back. Like a bad soap opera. They spend less time at work, Catco or the DEO, than Homer Simpson. Having Alex operating MRI equipment and taking blood tests? Stretching credibility a bit. All busy work to keep her in the show.

The supporting characters are more interesting than Supergirl this year. That's not good for the show. Lena Luther is much more confident than Kara, and makes her appear emotionally weaker. Reign and her dual life is interesting. The struggle between home, work and secret life is so much better than Supergirl's. I was hoping she would go darker and darker each time she became Reign. But, knowing that Reign has a daughter it means she will somehow be redeemed this year. Asking for help with the memory loss is a step in that direction already.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I guess I'm first on the show this week. First thought. Alex is acting like a professional again for the first time since....I can't remember. And then, the tears. :(So close. It's OK to be strong Alex. You were the responsible one once. You protect the world from bad guys. Act like a leader again. please.

Second. I guess the head of the DEO is the last on the phone tree when a super villain escapes. Just having some bro time on the "B" story. Nothing too important going on at work.:lol:

Something else I'm starting to notice in the show. Everyone is having their big pose moment when they enter the screen to fight the bad guy now. Just like their DC big boy cousins in the movies. Stop it! It's silly. It's a fight. Don't be cute, attack.

I like this show better than last week. Back on point with the season long arc. Still a place holder episode though. Once again the main plot could have been the first act in a tighter story. I know it's supposed to be a show about relationships as much as action, but the mix is wrong. Especially when the characters go through the same cycle over and over again. Lena Luther is the most together character on the show. And right now, my favorite.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Fairly strong midseason premiere. Jeremy Jordan is one of the show's secret weapons, so it was nice to get a Winn-centric episode. And nabbing Academy Award nominee Laurie Metcalf as his long-absent mom was a pretty big get for the show.

Any episode of anything that has Carl Lumbly as an alien from Mars singing Elvis songs can’t be too bad.

There was that brief lecture on race in America that again felt shoehorned in, but otherwise the proceedings were admirably character driven. The stuff with M'rynn's dementia was heartbreaking.

The Toyman's apprentice was a very "Flash"-esque villain, patently ludicrous but also suitably lethal.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The one thing about the episode that bugged me is the question of how much it must have cost to make all those deadly toys and traps. Did Toyman have all that money saved somewhere? I know you aren't supposed to be thinking about that, but there was a small fortune worth of gadgets and such there.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Boring. Another spin the wheels episode that tells no story other than these people all have terrible personal lives. I want 90 percent cool stuff with 10 percent soap opera. This show has the numbers reversed.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's episode was a nice reminder that this can be a really good show when it gets out of its own way and sticks to telling a Supergirl story.

I loved the gag at the beginning when Supergirl is urgently needed but Kara carefully unbuttons her shirt rather than ripping it open because it's one of her her favorites.

Wouldn't it have been crazy if J'onn's "imaginary" friend was actually Mister Mxyzptlk?

The storyline with M'rynn's dementia continues to be incredibly effective because it utilizes science fiction to explore something that touches all too many of our lives, and does it in a way that is entirely character-driven. It helps having Carl Lumbly knocking it out of the park each and every week.

Lena is well utilized in her current storyline. Locking Sam up in her basement is a classic Luthor move, but you understand her motivation every step of the way. And Odette Annable was terrific as she came to terms with the fact that she was sharing a body with Reign.

The melodrama with Kara and Mon-El continues to be a drag on the series, but I liked her summary of all of the problems that plagued their relationship last season. And then later, she apologized for how brutally she stated things but not for stating them. And it was cool to see a version of the comics Mon-El suit, adapted to the "Supergirl" suit aesthetic. They got one joyous moment flying off to save the day together before birds started falling out of the sky.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This was a good episode, although the problem with this kind of long-form storytelling is that the audience can often see where it is going long before the characters do. That's frustrating.

Is it possible that J'onn's father is Pestilence?

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
John's friend "ZOOK" is from the comics.
He was the Martian Manhunter's pet/companion in early 60's stories, 1st appearance DETECTIVE COMICS #311.
And he just had an one panel appearance in ACTION COMICS #1000.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The big question after this episode is what did Lena Luthor learn after keeping Sam in her lab all this time.

There are 23 episodes this season. We just saw episode 16. It is hard to believe there are so many left. The ending of this week's episode made me think there were only a couple left.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Melissa Benoist will make her Broadway debut beginning June 7 till August 4 as Carole King in "Beautiful" . This seems like this means there will be a late start to filming Supergirl next season which usually starts at the beginning of July. Perhaps season will start later than October. Maybe hold until January. Though with the crossover usually airring at the end of November that seems unlikely.
http://www.playbill.com/article/supergirl-star-melissa-benoist-to-make-broadway-debut-in-beautiful

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised with last night's episode. I did not expect so much to happen with so many episodes left in the season. There is still a lot of danger left with Reign, but I did not expect them to assault the dark fortress.

Meanwhile, the magical eclipse and its effects were just cringe inducing. I guess you can wave it away as just magic, especially since it went away with the fortress, but still .... And Supergirl's powers shouldn't go away with the eclipse - we've seen her use her powers at night. I guess it is just magic.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Who didn't love the homage to the original Christopher Reeve Superman this evening? Great!!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Crazy that there's still five more episodes left this season.

The show again teased the idea of Ruby having superpowers, with her about to pick up the Gatling Gun that's much too heavy for a normal 12-year-old, only for her to see her mom's face and back away.

Nice to see Cynthia Stevenson (George's mom on "Dead Like Me") pop up as the caretaker of Lex's mansion, who is very creeped out by the place, and very talkative.

Who didn't love the homage to the original Christopher Reeve Superman this evening? Great!!
That was great.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Because she plays a battle-hardened middle-aged woman from a horrific future, it's easy to forget on "Travelers" just how young Nesta Cooper is. It was a bit startling here to see her playing -- very convincingly -- someone roughly her own age in real life.

The stuff with James grappling with the complexities of being a black man and a masked superhero was mostly interesting. The anecdote about being handcuffed by police in a hotel as a small child was pretty searing stuff. I wish the writers trusted the audience more to let that anecdote, and the showing they'd done earlier in the episode, speak for itself.

Alex trying to bribe Ruby with sweets and motorcycle rides was ridiculous. She'd just been through a horribly traumatic ordeal, so Alex should have exercised a little emotional intelligence. I did like the little moment of bonding between Ruby and MM'yrnn at the Foosball table. Sometimes, when the problems are insurmountable, it helps to have a little distraction.

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
It was courteous of Mon-El to wait until after Olivia got super-charged from that mumbo-jumbo formula before trying to actually stop her.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I actually liked tonight's episode a lot. It was an interesting take on Argo City. A pretty big deal that the woman behind the worldkillers isn't a simulated hologram but an actual survivor of the destruction of Krypton. I still don't get what she gets out of unleashing the worldkillers upon the world. Presumably if she was okay with letting the piece of rock go, that means it's not going to work against Reign.

I liked the contrast between the simulated hologram of Alura in the early seasons and the flesh-and-blood version here.

It was smart to pair Winn and Ruby together, since Winn is the other person on the show whose parent was a supervillain.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Jeez J'onn, how long does it take you to fly to the rooftop Alex is on?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
This week's bit with the guns was a bit heavy handed. Have we seen the DEO actually use those particular guns in the past?

I was thinking this might be the season finale, but we actually have 2 more episodes left.

Why did they leave the keys in the spaceship? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks