What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

VCI- Serials on DVD (1 Viewer)

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
As a big Flash Gordon and classic comic strip hero fan in general I was considering some of the dvds from VCI but I read on amazon that the Mandrake serial has their logo in the lower right corner of the picture, is this true for "ALL" of their dvds? That would really bug me!

Can anyone recommend some of the best serials/dvds to start me off? I read that universal and vci have the best dvds.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
For Flash Gordon, you want the Image DVDs. Another good one is Roan Group's Undersea Kingdom. Not sure if you can find that now, but their less-than-helpful website does list it in their 2006 catalog. Sony's 1943 Batman serial is of pretty good quality, though the serial isn't quite up to Republic standards. Watchable, however. I have a couple VCI serials, and they didn't have the logo in the corner. I don't know if that's a new policy or what. They probably feel it's necessary because a lot of these serials are in the public domain. They do all the work, and someone else steals their transfer. Hence, the bug. It sucks, but I can't really blame them. The ones I have that don't have it are Buck Rogers and Jungle Girl. I may have their Secret Agent X-9, but I haven't watched it yet if I do. I think I've just planned to get it. By the way, Buck Rogers isn't a *great* serial, but it's interesting to see how a lot of The Phantom Menace came from it. The video screen is there, "Coruscant" is there, the planetary blockade is there. It's a drop from Flash Gordon, but Buster Crabbe is always cool.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I have the Image box set that has all 3 DVDs (40 episodes) and from various reviews they believe these are the exact transfers that are owned by the Hearst Entertainment group which are the best available.

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
Not all of VCI's serials have their logo in the lower right that comes and goes but at least a few others do: Riders of Death Valley and Captain Video. Most VCI serials (mainly those released before these two) do not have the logos...the Jungle Girl one doesn't, for instance. The second Batman serial, "Batman and Robin" has a great-looking print and is fun to watch. The Adventures of Captain Marvel is one of the best but I'm not sure how good the current DVD of it is.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
Thanks for the help guys! I do want the Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers serials for sure, but also maybe the Phantom serial from vci. Does anyone know if it has the logo?

And, what about Revenge of the Sith? The clone commander was called "Commander Cody" from Radar Men From The Moon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandallFlagg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale