What's new

Mexican Aztec Mummy Trilogy Box set in Blu ray...from VCI - Coming soon!! (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Growing up as a kid in Los Angeles I would watch these fun and often times goofy Mexican Horror and Sci-Fi movies translated into english by K. Gordon Murray. Shown late at night on local channels like KHJ, KTTV and many UHF stations...if you can remember those? I have a soft spot for all of these and it seems one company is taking th lead with many Mexican classics, not just the horror sci-fi genres.
VCI has been releasing some amazing remastered editions to such titles as "Batwoman" and "Panther Woman" both in 4K restoration from OCN. This highly overlooked genre may be nich, but well loved by many, both english and spanish speaking audiences. I was an exchange student in the late 60s and remember going to Mexico City to watch El Santo with Blue Demon, fight thier way to glory!! VCI has also released a fun box set of some of Santos best brawles, fighting against Vampiers, Monsters and the like. I was sad that one of my favorite Santo films, Santo vs the Martians, was not in the box set, but I have heard that there might be a seperate release of this title soon!!
all that said, I just caught wind of this new box set to help replace the DVD set that BCI did back in 2006. The fun and wierd world that is all things Aztec Mummy!!!

This HD box set is scheduled to drop July 19th, ans according to sources close to the project that this release will be "2K & 4K scans of the 35mm negs, bonus video essay by Dr. David Wilt, Film Historian and Mexican Film Expert" ( David was also used in many of the other new releases to add even more interesting info nuggets about the films).
I hope you are as happy as I am, and can dive into the crazy world of Lucha Libre Madness!!

Attachments

• 81gBh0hCLqL._SL1500_.jpg
    81gBh0hCLqL._SL1500_.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 60

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Growing up as a kid in Los Angeles I would watch these fun and often times goofy Mexican Horror and Sci-Fi movies translated into english by K. Gordon Murray. Shown late at night on local channels like KHJ, KTTV and many UHF stations...if you can remember those? I have a soft spot for all of these and it seems one company is taking th lead with many Mexican classics, not just the horror sci-fi genres.
VCI has been releasing some amazing remastered editions to such titles as "Batwoman" and "Panther Woman" both in 4K restoration from OCN. This highly overlooked genre may be nich, but well loved by many, both english and spanish speaking audiences. I was an exchange student in the late 60s and remember going to Mexico City to watch El Santo with Blue Demon, fight thier way to glory!! VCI has also released a fun box set of some of Santos best brawles, fighting against Vampiers, Monsters and the like. I was sad that one of my favorite Santo films, Santo vs the Martians, was not in the box set, but I have heard that there might be a seperate release of this title soon!!
all that said, I just caught wind of this new box set to help replace the DVD set that BCI did back in 2006. The fun and wierd world that is all things Aztec Mummy!!!

This HD box set is scheduled to drop July 19th, ans according to sources close to the project that this release will be "2K & 4K scans of the 35mm negs, bonus video essay by Dr. David Wilt, Film Historian and Mexican Film Expert" ( David was also used in many of the other new releases to add even more interesting info nuggets about the films).
I hope you are as happy as I am, and can dive into the crazy world of Lucha Libre Madness!!

Great stuff! I enjoyed those Mexican horror titles. Some were really creepy with the vampires and other monsters. The English dubbing never bothered me. It would be nice to see more of these out on blu. I have the several ones from Casa Negra and they're all pretty good, although The Witch's Mirror has a audio problem with part of the sound going to Spanish on the English part of the track. It was never fixed. Some others I have come from 16mm prints from collectors.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Great stuff! I enjoyed those Mexican horror titles. Some were really creepy with the vampires and other monsters. The English dubbing never bothered me. It would be nice to see more of these out on blu. I have the several ones from Casa Negra and they're all pretty good, although The Witch's Mirror has a audio problem with part of the sound going to Spanish on the English part of the track. It was never fixed. Some others I have come from 16mm prints from collectors.
Really the mis-aligned lip synching, for me, was part of it's charm. Much like many of the early Japanese Toho releases.
It seems VCI is really running with this genre, my hats off to them!!
I had to buy a Santo title that had no english subtitles, known as "Santo vs the Blob"but I had to have it in my collection. Hopefully VCI can massage it and at least drop in english subtiles. Much like the Japanese Kaju monsters these guys use and reuse the same or slightly augmented monsters for all of there movies!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Some other Titles from VCI - currently on Bluray. Some fun stuff!! Vampires with Walrus fangs always made me laugh!! And who can't outrun a 1000 year old mummy, really, LOL!!

Attachments

• 089859907227-A.png
    089859907227-A.png
    110.5 KB · Views: 56
  • night-of-the-bloddy-apes.png
    night-of-the-bloddy-apes.png
    347.1 KB · Views: 65
  • treasure-of-dracula-BD.png
    treasure-of-dracula-BD.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 65
  • santo-el-enmascarado-de-plata.jpg
    santo-el-enmascarado-de-plata.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 49

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The Sci-fi offerings were much less during the golden age for these films 1950s-70s. One that I would love to see given some digital enhancements is the classic 1960 "Ship of Monsters"...Spaceships, Babes , Monsters, Robots and Mariachi...what cound possibly go wrong, LOL!!

Attachments

• MV5BZTQxZDkwYTItNTYyNS00N2QyLTljNDUtYjQyMWYwNjAzM2Y2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjc1NDA2OA@@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BZTQxZDkwYTItNTYyNS00N2QyLTljNDUtYjQyMWYwNjAzM2Y2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjc1NDA2OA@@._V1_.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 1*OKa7NPRjlKobLnoNW4OIww.jpeg
    1*OKa7NPRjlKobLnoNW4OIww.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 65
  • group-e1512248303727.jpg
    group-e1512248303727.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Part of me is very happy that these movies are seeing the light of day, period. I picked up their Batwoman and Santo and the Treasure of Dracula discs and thought they looked great. Watching them with what to my untrained ear sounds like newly produced, poor English dubs without including the original Spanish language tracks is nigh-unforgivable to me, though. It seems like such a strange decision.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Part of me is very happy that these movies are seeing the light of day, period. I picked up their Batwoman and Santo and the Treasure of Dracula discs and thought they looked great. Watching them with what to my untrained ear sounds like newly produced, poor English dubs without including the original Spanish language tracks is nigh-unforgivable to me, though. It seems like such a strange decision.
it might be because they may have been accessed from the K. Gordon Murray vaults, but I get you. I appreciate having the Toho titles with options like viewing in the original japanese with english subtitles.

Last edited:

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
it might be becaues they mat have been accessed from the K Gordon Murray vaults, but I get you. I appreciate having the Toho titles with options like viewing in the original japanese with english subtitles.
I mean, it's just a combination of a) not including the original soundtrack/language track, b) not including the original dubbing (if it exists), and c) the new dubbing being super lackluster. But at least they're pretty! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Batwoman in the new season of MST3K. If they're using the same transfer, it'll be one of the best looking films they've used in the HD era.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I mean, it's just a combination of a) not including the original soundtrack/language track, b) not including the original dubbing (if it exists), and c) the new dubbing being super lackluster. But at least they're pretty! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Batwoman in the new season of MST3K. If they're using the same transfer, it'll be one of the best looking films they've used in the HD era.
The sad thing about these under the radar films is aquiring the "Best Materials Available"in order to do thier restorations from...you brought up a good point, adding "if it exsists".
Not knowing the full story on what materials were available, can make all the difference in the world when evaluating a new release.

I compaired the video and audio from both the new Doctor of Doom BD and the original dvd that was in my collection. The trasformation to BD was striking - cleaner and crisper images better overall contrast, when compaired to the dvd counterpart. The audio was about what I was expecting, campy but too the point. Not absolutly accurate to the dialog, but they never did before anyway, why start now!!

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
This could open up a veritable Pandora's box of Mexican wonderment!! Curse of the Puppet People, Santo vs the Blob, etc.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
The sad thing about these under the radar films is aquiring the "Best Materials Available"in order to do thier restorations from...you brought up a good point, adding "if it exsists".
Not knowing the full story on what materials were available, can make all the difference in the world when evaluating a new release.

I compaired the video and audio from both the new Doctor of Doom BD and the original dvd that was in my collection. The trasformation to BD was striking - cleaner and crisper images better overall contrast, when compaired to the dvd counterpart. Tha audio was about what I was expecting, campy but too the point. Not absolutly accurate to the dialog, but they never did before anyway, why start now!!
I'm just sure that some of these movies, especially the less popular ones, didn't get English dubs in the first place. That's why I said that. K. Gordon Murray only picked up so many of them for American distribution.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I'm just sure that some of these movies, especially the less popular ones, didn't get English dubs in the first place. That's why I said that. K. Gordon Murray only picked up so many of them for American distribution.
Between the 50s thur the 70s these were super popular in Mexico and other latin speaking countries. Many of these films were just not run in the US, unless you went to the Spanish Theaters, in LA because of the large Latin community there were many theaters running nothing but these and other genres like romance and detective films as well as these Santo and Neutron masked wrestlers filcks!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
It's amazing to see the influences that the Aztec Mummy had, not only in Mexico...but around the world, as these videos are showing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks