What's new

Mexican Aztec Mummy Trilogy Box set in Blu ray...from VCI - Coming soon!! (1 Viewer)

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Really the mis-aligned lip synching, for me, was part of it's charm. Much like many of the early Japanese Toho releases.
It seems VCI is really running with this genre, my hats off to them!!
I had to buy a Santo title that had no english subtitles, known as "Santo vs the Blob"but I had to have it in my collection. Hopefully VCI can massage it and at least drop in english subtiles. Much like the Japanese Kaju monsters these guys use and reuse the same or slightly augmented monsters for all of there movies!!
I guess for me seeing these on the Fright Night Late Show back in the 60s on WKBW Channel 7 in Buffalo, NY, I am used to seeing the K. Gordon Murray versions with the American International Television logo at the beginning and seeing the American version being produced at Sound Lab in Coral Gables, Florida. It is good though to have the options to play the other language tracks.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
The sad thing about these under the radar films is aquiring the "Best Materials Available"in order to do thier restorations from...you brought up a good point, adding "if it exsists".
Not knowing the full story on what materials were available, can make all the difference in the world when evaluating a new release.

I compaired the video and audio from both the new Doctor of Doom BD and the original dvd that was in my collection. The trasformation to BD was striking - cleaner and crisper images better overall contrast, when compaired to the dvd counterpart. The audio was about what I was expecting, campy but too the point. Not absolutly accurate to the dialog, but they never did before anyway, why start now!!
I didn't know Doctor Of Doom was on BD.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
It's a shame you don't (I assume) live near Lawrence, Kansas. They frequently do Cinema a Go-Go events. When they do Mexican monster and luchadore films, they call it Cinema con Queso.

Thanks it’s close but not close enough, I live is southwestern Colorado…sounds like a blast!!!! Good on ya!!!!

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
If these are indeed from the K. Gordon Murray library, they can't be the OCNs - those, I'm sure, are still in Mexico. He would have received a dupe negative, I think.
I think it varies by title, they have been expanding beyond the horror genre into the dramas and novelas, my guess is VCI does have access to the if not OCN, as close as possible to them. The BD double release of Doctor of Doom and the later remake Night of the Bloody Apes are testament to the quality upgrades from the dvd foramts that I had in my collection.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I guess for me seeing these on the Fright Night Late Show back in the 60s on WKBW Channel 7 in Buffalo, NY, I am used to seeing the K. Gordon Murray versions with the American International Television logo at the beginning and seeing the American version being produced at Sound Lab in Coral Gables, Florida. It is good though to have the options to play the other language tracks.
it's amazing how many movies were voiced there @ Sound Lab. Alot of sword and sandel stuff, same voice actors doing different films. That must have been a blast, doing these Mexican films for Murray, and the Soviet films like Planet Bur for Corman or all the Samson and Machiste and the ever present run of the different Sons of Hercules...

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Attachments

• night-of-the-bloddy-apes.png
    night-of-the-bloddy-apes.png
    347.1 KB · Views: 54

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Some of this out stuff looks really fun. I will keep a good eye out for it.
And see if the price is worth it? And see if it has. CC////SDH in English on it.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
And see if the price is worth it? And see if it has. CC////SDH in English on it.
That's the whole point of these outragously fun and wierd movies...so bad they're good!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Yeah, VCI paired the original Dr of Doom with the even weirder and more bloody remake Night of the Bloody apes...the original is super clean PQ!!! I picked it up just for that title!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Great stuff! I enjoyed those Mexican horror titles. Some were really creepy with the vampires and other monsters. The English dubbing never bothered me. It would be nice to see more of these out on blu. I have the several ones from Casa Negra and they're all pretty good, although The Witch's Mirror has a audio problem with part of the sound going to Spanish on the English part of the track. It was never fixed. Some others I have come from 16mm prints from collectors.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
VCI does not care.
Here is the thing. If any of the movies have been on TV in the last 15 years. By law, they must have CC-Closed Caption on them. That means that about 98% of all movies that are put out by these companies already have the CC on them. They just don't want to pay for the rights to keep them on it. To cheap. There loss.
But down the road, they will get with it. Shout was a holdout. But no longer. VCI will hear the bell down the road. Just when?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks