What's new

Press Release Lionsgate Press Release: John Wick: Chapter 4 (4k UHD Amazon Exclusive) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well, yeah, but then you miss part of the movie.

Sure - and I don't like to miss parts of movies.

But it's not usually a big deal.

If you attend with someone, ask them what happened while you were gone.

If you attend alone, just yell "WHAT'D I MISS??? HAD TO PEE!!!!" when you return. :D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
"Speed" and "Matrix" are miles ahead of any of the Wick movies.
Nope. Not even close.

And I really like both of those movies. But they don’t have anywhere near the energy and explosive beautifully choreographed action that the Wick films have imo.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Nope. Not even close.

And I really like both of those movies. But they don’t have anywhere near the energy and explosive beautifully choreographed action that the Wick films have imo.

I find the Wicks monotonous. The action is interesting in theory but rarely exciting.

The movies are a stunt coordinator's fantasy but that doesn't translate to interesting/thrilling material.

They become repetitive and dull. There's so little real plot/character information to make the stories engaging, so they're just endless reels of shoot shoot shoot stab stab stab kill kill kill.

And they're absurd. Wick takes out 100s of opponents with ease... while none of them can shoot to literally save their lives.

The Wick opponents are worse shots than Imperial Stormtroopers! :laugh:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I find the Wicks monotonous. The action is interesting in theory but rarely exciting.

The movies are a stunt coordinator's fantasy but that doesn't translate to interesting/thrilling material.

They become repetitive and dull. There's so little real plot/character information to make the stories engaging, so they're just endless reels of shoot shoot shoot stab stab stab kill kill kill.

And they're absurd. Wick takes out 100s of opponents with ease... while none of them can shoot to literally save their lives.

Colin,

You know I have much respect for you and your opinion. I don't mind that ours differ regarding John Wick.

I just wanted to say that while you are correct about the absurdity of John Wick surviving hundreds of assassins, the same theory applies to every action movie ever made where the hero survives multiple attempts of bullet fire.

I just watched a movie called SISU (Lionsgate) that was phenomenally good, but whose character survives so many completely unbelievable catastrophes that you have to suspend all beliefs to enjoy the film...

...and that's pretty much how every action movie works.

I'm not telling you anything you don't know already. Me, I enjoy the carefully choreographed stunt work of these John Wick films. I have come to accept that as long as there are sequels to be made, this is a character that is going to survive everything thrown at him.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Film appreciation varies among us because what I might find entertaining, doesn't do a damn thing for you. I guess the best thing we can do is acknowledged then respect the differences between us.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Wick takes out 100s of opponents with ease... while none of them can shoot to literally save their lives
These are not realistic films nor were they ever meant to be. I don’t think any of us fans thought that.

And btw, Wick gets shot Plenty of times by his enemies. His high tech bulletproof suits help him survive.

The films don’t work for you. A few others share your minority opinion and that’s fine. What’s important is that they work for me. And that’s great! :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I'm not a huge fan of many action movies from the last thirty years but I have a ton of fun with the John Wick movies and find them to be exciting.

That's part of the fun. :laugh:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
These are not realistic films nor were they ever meant to be. I don’t think any of us fans thought that.

I remember back in the day, in another forum, someone dismissing Ferris Bueller's Day Off because they didn't think anyone could get away with everything that Ferris does in the film. My counterargument was that one had to look at the film as a complete fantasy, and the dream that many high school students have of being able to skip school for a day, do all sorts of crazy shit, and never get caught. Sure, it would be more realistic if Ferris ended up in detention, but that would've made for a bummer of a movie. In its own way, it was as much a fantasy film as The 7th Voyage of Sinbad. Or any given Marvel movie.

I think that most (if not all) action movies are the same. They are basically superhero movies. Suspending your disbelief at the proceedings is what you have to ante up to join the game.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
In response to the idea that action movies are fantasies: many are, some aren't.

But yes, I get that the Wicks don't really intend to exist in the real world.

Still - for me, at least - there's a limit to how much "lack of reality" that can be swallowed, and I think the Wicks exceed it.

Anyway, even if I didn't have an issue with that, I really just find them fairly boring because they're all style, no substance - well, 3 and 4, at least. The first is pretty good, and the 2nd works okay.

I just thought the last 2 lost their way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks