What's new

The Phantom Creeps Serial from VCI in 2K now and maybe 4K soon?? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
One of my favorite Bela Logosi serials is The Phantom Creeps, the Robot is Great!! the storyline is this; Dr. Alex Zorka (Bela Lugosi), an eccentric scientist, carries on mysterious experiments in his secret laboratory with the aid of Monk (Jack C. Smith), an ex-convict. Zorka has invented many strange and powerful weapons of warfare, including a devisualizer belt which allows him to operate without being seen, and a terrifying mechanical robot eight feet tall. He also possesses a deadly meteorite fragment from which he extracts a strange element which can induce suspended animation in an entire army. 12 Chapters.
It seems VCi, as many outfits can, ran into some issues midway through this project. this is what VCI is saying -
We have had many inquiries from our fans, about when the heck will our 4K restoration of THE PHANTOM CREEPS finally be released on DVD & Blu-ray? Here is the scoop on why it has been delayed so long.
When we started working on the restoration early last year, we discovered that 6 of the 12 chapters, of the original film elements we received from Universal Pictures, had many issues. Some reels were missing, and some were on nitrate film and had deteriorated terribly. Fortunately, we found more complete original film elements stored at the Library of Congress. We have requested access to those film elements, however we were informed that film was actually owned by Sony Pictures (FYI, Sony actually is the owner of Columbia Pictures, who had a license in the 1950’s to distribute several Universal serials via their TV syndication division, Screen Gems, and that’s how they came to have these film elements). Since we discovered this, we have been negotiating with Sony’s legal department to give us permission to access and scan this film, which would allow us to finish our restoration. This process with Sony began last July, and so far, they have been cooperating, but still haven’t given us their permission. We feel confident that Sony will give us permission, but we just can’t say when. This is a very high priority project to VCI, but unfortunately it is not as important to Sony, so we remain on hold.
https://www.vcientertainment.com/the-phantom-creeps-4k-restoration-project/
I hope they are able to supply the demand...several sites are saying "Out of Stock" on the 2K editions...hope for the best!!

Attachments

• 81QgzTHeNXL._SL1500_.jpg
    81QgzTHeNXL._SL1500_.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 76

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
One of my favorite Bela Logosi serials is The Phantom Creeps, the Robot is Great!! the storyline is this; Dr. Alex Zorka (Bela Lugosi), an eccentric scientist, carries on mysterious experiments in his secret laboratory with the aid of Monk (Jack C. Smith), an ex-convict. Zorka has invented many strange and powerful weapons of warfare, including a devisualizer belt which allows him to operate without being seen, and a terrifying mechanical robot eight feet tall. He also possesses a deadly meteorite fragment from which he extracts a strange element which can induce suspended animation in an entire army. 12 Chapters.
It seems VCi, as many outfits can, ran into some issues midway through this project. this is what VCI is saying -
We have had many inquiries from our fans, about when the heck will our 4K restoration of THE PHANTOM CREEPS finally be released on DVD & Blu-ray? Here is the scoop on why it has been delayed so long.
When we started working on the restoration early last year, we discovered that 6 of the 12 chapters, of the original film elements we received from Universal Pictures, had many issues. Some reels were missing, and some were on nitrate film and had deteriorated terribly. Fortunately, we found more complete original film elements stored at the Library of Congress. We have requested access to those film elements, however we were informed that film was actually owned by Sony Pictures (FYI, Sony actually is the owner of Columbia Pictures, who had a license in the 1950’s to distribute several Universal serials via their TV syndication division, Screen Gems, and that’s how they came to have these film elements). Since we discovered this, we have been negotiating with Sony’s legal department to give us permission to access and scan this film, which would allow us to finish our restoration. This process with Sony began last July, and so far, they have been cooperating, but still haven’t given us their permission. We feel confident that Sony will give us permission, but we just can’t say when. This is a very high priority project to VCI, but unfortunately it is not as important to Sony, so we remain on hold.
https://www.vcientertainment.com/the-phantom-creeps-4k-restoration-project/
I hope they are able to supply the demand...several sites are saying "Out of Stock" on the 2K editions...hope for the best!!
Never saw it but if VCI does as great a job on this as "Gang Busters" I am in!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
This post is confusing. Nowhere do they say they're releasing a 4K UHD. And when did they release a "2K Blu-ray" of The Phantom Creeps? They aren't selling it on their own site.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Thanks for posting this. I'm a huge fan of Universal horror movies and I was wondering what happened to VCI's release of this. Hopefully, it can happen next year!
As far as I know it’s set up for a December release for the 2K addition, with a 4K version coming out in 22 sometime.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This post is confusing. Nowhere do they say they're releasing a 4K UHD. And when did they release a "2K Blu-ray" of The Phantom Creeps? They aren't selling it on their own site.
VCI first announced the Blu-ray (and maybe the DVD- I can't remember) a couple of years ago now and it was delayed and then cancelled apparently for the reasons cited above.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I’m a little confused on it myself, as far as I can tell it’s a 2K Blu-ray remastered edition of the series TPC but their keeps being a mention of a 4K format.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That informational post from VCI is over a year old. Supposedly the release is *finally* coming this December but they still don't have it on their site so I'm not holding my breath...

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The 12-31 date is a placeholder (it's a Friday, so that's the giveaway). Also, they do not state anywhere in that blog post that they are releasing a 4K disc.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
it's in the title @VCI -

THE PHANTOM CREEPS – 4K Restoration Project​

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
They did have a placeholder release date, which has been removed. I’m guessing their streaming version is not great quality.
Agreed, they had a pre-sale or pre-order button and date, and then it was removed and you see out of stock image on it.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Agreed, they had a pre-sale or pre-order button and date, and then it was removed and you see out of stock image on it.
I am trying to get an update today - my impression is a lot of stuff was put in hold due to the pandemic example their delay on RAIN. But I think The Phantom Creeps delay is more to do with SONY and VCI trying to get the better materials from SONY could be wrong though on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks