What's new

Press Release Film Masters Press Release: Beast From Haunted Cave (1959) and Ski Troop Attack (1960) (Blu-ray Double Feature) (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
339688_front.jpg

Roger Corman’s 1959 Cult Favorite, Beast From Haunted Cave, to be

Released in Special Blu-ray/DVD Collector’s Edition, Oct. 24th

Just in Time for Halloween … A Newly Restored, 4K Scan From 35mm

Archival Materials, With All-New Special Features

Bonus Feature: Ski Troop Attack (1960)

ROCKPORT, Mass. — Oct. 1, 2023 — For Immediate Release — Roger Corman
’s suspenseful, cult classic, Beast From Haunted Cave—newly restored from a 4K scan of 35mm archival materials—will be released as a special collector’s edition on Blu-ray and DVD, Oct. 24 from Film Masters.

Acclaimed as the king of low-budget cult movies, Corman produced dozens of films that were both hilarious and thrilling. Among the best of his early output was 1959’s Beast From Haunted Cave, which was directed by legendary director Monte Hellman (Two-Lane Blacktop, Cockfighter), launching a 15-year collaboration between the duo. The film stars Michael Forest, Sheila Noonan and Frank Wolff.

In Beast From Haunted Cave … Cut-throat gangsters hatch a plan to rob a bank in Deadwood, South Dakota, but when one of the henchmen sets off an explosion in a nearby gold mine to act as a diversion for the heist, he awakens a blood-sucking, spider-like creature that isn’t happy about the intrusion. When a violent snowstorm delays the gang’s escape, things rapidly progress from bad to blood-curdling worse.

BONUS FEATURE: Ski Troop Attack (1960) — Upon wrapping Beast From Haunted Cave, Corman directed this World War II drama using the same location and much of the same cast and crew. For Corman, economy was key!

Beast From Haunted Cave
is presented in its original theatrical 1.85:1, 65-minute format and extended, 72-minute 4x3 TV version. Ski Troop Attack is presented as a newly restored HD print in 4x3 aspect ratio.

SPECIAL FEATURES:
Hollywood Intruders: The Filmgroup Story: Part One, a Ballyhoo Motion Pictures documentary; full-color booklet with essays by authors C. Courtney Joyner and Tom Weaver with the man behind the beast, Chris Robinson; commentary for Beast From Haunted Cave by author and film historian Tom Weaver and filmmaker Larry Blamire; ; commentary for Ski Troop Attack by author C. Courtney Joyner and filmmaker Howard S. Berger; gallery of rare stills from camera negatives taken during the filming of Beast From Haunted Cave, courtesy of Tom Weaver; original, 35mm-restored theatrical trailer for Beast From Haunted Cave and new, recut trailers from restored both films using restored film elements. Easter egg alert! Hidden on the disc is a special interview with the original beast.

About Film Masters:

Film Masters is a consortium of historians and enthusiasts who seek to celebrate the preservation and restoration of films. We are archivists, committed to storing film elements for future generations and reviving films that have been sitting dormant for decades. By scanning in 2K and 4K, we give these lesser-known films the red-carpet treatment they deserve. Leveraging modern means of distribution to release forgotten films back into the world, we also produce original bonus materials, including feature-length documentaries, which aid audiences in contextualizing and celebrating these works of art as they were meant to be. Visit us online at: www.FilmMasters.com

Beast From Haunted Cave

Film Masters

Genre:
Horror/Cult

Original Release: 1959/1960 (B+W)

Not Rated

Format:
Blu-ray & DVD (2 Discs)

Region Code: 0

Running Time: Approx. 65 Minutes

Suggested Retail Price: $29.95 (Blu-ray) / $19.95 (DVD)

Pre-Order Date: Sept. 19, 2023

Street Date: Oct. 24, 2023

Catalog #: FMB002 (Blu-ray) / FMD002 (DVD)

UPC Code: #760137133605 (Blu-ray) / #760137133612 (DVD)

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm really excited with the releases from this new distributor. While their releases so far are "B" movie schlock - they're also among the movies that made many of us fans of SF/Horror movies. Those "guilty pleasure" type films most movie goers dismiss outright and films most of us never expected to see released in at least good condition. And they're apparently putting each film on its own disc to boot! I have high hopes for these and can hardly wait for their first release to land to see if the anticipation is worth it.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Is it just me, or is this pairing just off a bit? You'd think they'd go with a double dose of Horror/Sci-Fi titles but Nooooooooooo, 1 Horror + 1 War movie? Granted they're both Corman productions, but play to different markets!!
Their second upcoming release seems like a better fit with "The Giant Gilla Monster" and "Attack of rthe Killer Shrews". At least here, when slicing the cheese it's apples to apples.

It seems smarter to have gone with a title like "Creature from the Haunted Sea" or any Corman other than Ski Troop Attack!!!

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Is it just me, or is this pairing just off a bit? You'd think they'd go with a double dose of Horror/Sci-Fi titles but Nooooooooooo, 1 Horror + 1 War movie? Granted they're both Corman productions, but play to different markets!!
Their second upcoming release seems like a better fit with "The Giant Gilla Monster" and "Attack of rthe Killer Shrews". At least here, when slicing the cheese it's apples to apples.

It seems smarter to have gone with a title like "Creature from the Haunted Sea" or any Corman other than Ski Troop Attack!!!
That's what I thought until I saw the explanation; they were filmed back-to-back in the same location, which does interest me and makes me want to compare them.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
That's what I thought until I saw the explanation; they were filmed back-to-back in the same location, which does interest me and makes me want to compare them.
is that an explanation or an excuse, LOL!!! :dance:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
When Coman was working along of Paul Blaisdall it was the weird high Art of Sci Fi /Horror. I love the Big Crab Monsters or She Creature suits!! They had a style all their own!!!

Attachments

• Covera-DS-188.jpg
    Covera-DS-188.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 34
  • paul 1.jpg
    paul 1.jpg
    799.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks