What's new

The Phantom Creeps Serial from VCI in 2K now and maybe 4K soon?? (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Just putting a film on Blu-ray doesn't make it HD. I just had a quick look at Undersea Kingdom & for that print, VHS would do. Jungle Girl looks better (sourced from a print in the British Archive collection), but it's still a long way from Blu-ray quality. Are there any HD worthy film elements for any of these serials?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just putting a film on Blu-ray doesn't make it HD. I just had a quick look at Undersea Kingdom & for that print, VHS would do. Jungle Girl looks better (sourced from a print in the British Archive collection), but it's still a long way from Blu-ray quality. Are there any HD worthy film elements for any of these serials?
Which serials?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Which serials?
Well I was thinking any of them. Favorites that I remember were: Zoro's Fighting Legion, Flash Gordon, King Of The Rocket Men & Phantom Empire, but I'd buy a good looking Blu-ray of any decent serial. I remember when I was around 9 years old looking at them in wide-eyed wonder, but a 9 year old today would just be amused at the campness of them. I used to think all week about how they'd get out of the latest cliffhanger ending, but seeing them at home, one episode after another, I can see that the makers cheated like hell on the endings. It's a scandal!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Well I was thinking any of them. Favorites that I remember were: Zoro's Fighting Legion, Flash Gordon, King Of The Rocket Men & Phantom Empire, but I'd buy a good looking Blu-ray of any decent serial. I remember when I was around 9 years old looking at them in wide-eyed wonder, but a 9 year old today would just be amused at the campness of them. I used to think all week about how they'd get out of the latest cliffhanger ending, but seeing them at home, one episode after another, I can see that the makers cheated like hell on the endings. It's a scandal!
VCI trying to get legit Flash Gordons from best material talking with Lionsgate! VCI's Gang Buster blu ray is great

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Appreciate you interceding, but Mr. Blair and I have known one another for decades. Putting these serials out would not be an inexpensive project.

If we were to try it, I might even invoke Kickstarter.
Hey it might work -----Bob Blair is expanding and releasing great product just wish he would get Scrooge 1951 back but its with Disney now so guess it stays locked up. Yes I know you and he are friends for years thoise serials woud do great! Just got to make it happen! The one with Karloff is given a nice review by Jerry Blake in fact all three look good would be nice to make a set of MaScot Serials

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
U right!! Amazing ommisions from any of the cilffhangers...they assumed a week had gone by and the kids could be fooled, and were many times!! Before tape and disc it was almost fool proof!!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
These Serials are low on the film priority list of the studios. This is why it falls upon the smaller more energetic ones to step up. Serial Squadron has the right idea, just the wrong approch. Specializing in serials, once established would be a way to gain leverage and be able to restore these as best thay could, aquire the best film elements in order to create a decent HD product for all those hoping and collecting these wonderfully fun and weird Saturday Matinée classics!! And most of all, take them out of the hands of companies like Alpha or Serial Squadron that just don't care about anything but $$$$!!!!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
These Serials are low on the film priority list of the studios. This is why it falls upon the smaller more energetic ones to step up. Serial Squadron has the right idea, just the wrong approch. Specializing in serials, once established would be a way to gain leverage and be able to restore these as best thay could, aquire the best film elements in order to create a decent HD product for all those hoping and collecting these wonderfully fun and weird Saturday Matinée classics!! And most of all, take them out of the hands of companies like Alpha or Serial Squadron that just don't care about anything but $$$$!!!!
Problem is only one company really released great product on serials and that was when republic was releasing them on VHS sadly Paramount will not lease them out it seems Olive tried but gave up after what two or three releases --- wish KINO would release some!

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Problem is only one company really released great product on serials and that was when republic was releasing them on VHS sadly Paramount will not lease them out it seems Olive tried but gave up after what two or three releases --- wish KINO would release some!
Kino released ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL and DAREDEVILS OF THE RED CIRCLE on Blu-ray and DVD. They look fantastic but did not sell well according to the Insider.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Kino released ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL and DAREDEVILS OF THE RED CIRCLE on Blu-ray and DVD. They look fantastic but did not sell well according to the Insider.
Ooooops I got them I thought Olive released them --- sad they should have tried more though to build interest try to create a line of serials at great prices -- VCI does well with them

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I had hoped SPY SMASHER would get the Blu-ray treatment.
What KINO should do is put a list of potential titles they would try and make us vote to see which would be worthwhile I would buy Spy Smasher -- and others

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
When I was 9-10 years old, I don't remember seeing any serial at the theater and I went almost every Saturday to the kiddie matinees. You did see them on Saturday morning TV programing, mostly Commando Cody and maybe sometimes Flash but the others...no.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Kino has grown into other areas...newer films, international fair and not as focused on the lower priority genres like the serials. We moght talk with BB @VCI? They have done many serials with success. Maybe be an area of seconardy interest, like thier Mexican film series. They have the experience with these genres and it might be a nice fit?!!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
When I was 9-10 years old, I don't remember seeing any serial at the theater and I went almost every Saturday to the kiddie matinees. You did see them on Saturday morning TV programing, mostly Commando Cody and maybe sometimes Flash but the others...no.
- thankfully TCM has been showing the serials - looks like they stopped!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Well, these are a niche genres, the ones that love them can be pretty hard core, but again it is a smaller populus, like the Kung Fu, 50s-60s Golden Era Sci-Fi, Mexican Horror & Sci-Fi. Fun fair but far from main stream.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
What KINO should do is put a list of potential titles they would try and make us vote to see which would be worthwhile I would buy Spy Smasher -- and others
Kino is past these and the KI had mentioned that the return was less than expected. So, chances are they won't do it again, but VCI or Flicker Alley would be great!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks