What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Upgrading Advice! (1 Viewer)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Hi all!

So last december, I bought my brother's D70s. Love it. Great unit, and I've been having a blast with it. My wife has been using it a ton too.

We've come into a little unexpected cash... and we're both having so much fun learning photography, we've decided to get another body... or maybe even a kit.

Of course, we're going to want to stick with Nikon.. so our glass is interchangable.

I'm looking at the D90. (Ironic, since my brother sold me the D70s so *he* could upgrade to the D90.) Would that be overkill for an amateur? Should I be looking at the 60, 40 or the newer models? (D5000, I think?)

So.. thoughts?? D90 is about as expensive as I want to go. I may even get the kit just to get the better VR lens. (My jittery hands would love that!)

Side note: We both enjoy macro photography... considering a Nikkor 2.8 60mm Micro lens. Really liked it in store. If anyone has any thoughts on macro lenses that remain under 900 bucks.. that'd be great. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
D90 is next due to be replaced I'd bet. Video modes etc. The D5000 is a nice little kit tho, but not sure how much of an upgrade it is over your D70s. BUT, If macro is your bag and you don't already have a dedicated Macro lens the 60 is a nice lightweight little guy! I'd go with that!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'd say wait for the D90 replacement to come out and then see if you can get it at a better price at that point. Don't settle for the lower end models in this case unless you want something lower end than the D70s (for what actually matters). The D90 should be a nice-and-worthwhile upgrade over the D70s and is designed for advancing amateurs/prosumers -- not too much camera at all, if you intend to get more into the hobby.

Actually, if you really want to get into macro photography in a more serious way, you might even consider hunting down a D200 for less than the D90 price. I forget whether the D90 can handle manual AIS lenses, but for serious macros, you're gonna need to focus manually and use a tripod much/most of the time, so you might do better w/ limited cash to hunt down some used, manual AIS macro lenses for that (and also get the D200 for less). Instead of the 60mm f/2.8 micro, you can then go for something like the old, manual AIS 55mm f/2.8 micro for less than 1/2 the price -- I think I paid

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Thanks guys!

I'm guessing that the D90 still has about 6-10 months before it's eventual replacement comes out... just based on the length of time it took for the 90 to replace the 80. Don't wanna wait quite THAT long. I was thinking more like... next week. :D

(Part of the reason I'm doing this is the D70s has been kidnapped! By my wife. She *was* afraid of DSLRs. Not anymore..and she's got a terrific eye! But I want a body for myself now! I *could* get her a D40/60, and keep the 70s for me... but... well... *grin*.)

After reviewing all the specs, it's pretty obvious that the 40 and 60 are NOT what I want... the 5000 still is interesting... but I think I'll stick with the D90.

Man, thanks for the info about macro shooting. I'm not THAT serious about it... but I do want a dedicated lens for it. I'll certainly consider the 6T option! Sounds like a great idea!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Tony,

Glad to be of help.

BTW, the D300 may be out of your price range, but the D200 is not, if you can find one.

_Man_

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
I have the D80 and I think it's a pretty sweet camera. I highly recommend the D90 for something really good before getting into the serious (a.k.a.) expensive stuff.

Funny. As I type this the HTF ad on the upper right is for D90's on sale. Finally some related advertising.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks