What's new

Advice on New 2.8 Telephoto Lens (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sam Posten said:
Trust me, when I roll up on 40+ photographers each with $8k+ lenses my gear acquisition syndrome (GAS) goes into overdrive....
I get that same feeling when I visit Yellowstone N.P., Sam. My 100-400L seems so small next to all those 500mm and 600mm primes. If we lived closer to that park, I'd have to figure out a way to fund one of those puppies.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Sam - out of curiosity, what were the guys in the photograph taking pictures of? Are they what we in the UK call 'twitchers' - i.e. bird watchers?
Honestly and truly, I have seen guys using lenses that size, handheld, trying to photograph birds 200+ yards away. The first time I saw the phenomenon, I thought it was a one off but I've seen it several times since. I wonder if these guys ever put two and two together that some of their distance shots are a bit blurry?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/325617/advice-on-new-2-8-telephoto-lens#post_4012720
Trust me, when I roll up on 40+ photographers each with $8k+ lenses my gear acquisition syndrome (GAS) goes into overdrive....

Heh-heh. Sam goes to take photos...and gets gas.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
andrew markworthy said:
Sam - out of curiosity, what were the guys in the photograph taking pictures of? Are they what we in the UK call 'twitchers' - i.e. bird watchers?
Honestly and truly, I have seen guys using lenses that size, handheld, trying to photograph birds 200+ yards away. The first time I saw the phenomenon, I thought it was a one off but I've seen it several times since. I wonder if these guys ever put two and two together that some of their distance shots are a bit blurry?
Bald Eagles.
For reference, this is about as good as I can get with a D300 and a 70-300:

10-ConowingoBaldEagles-8723 by Kadath, on Flickr
This is what the guys with 400s and up can get:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Conowingo-Bald-Eagles/266756446716728?ref=stream

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
andrew markworthy said:
Nice photo - if that is without tripod then that is really really impressive.
Yes, all handheld, cropped to taste.
But I know there is a lot of muddled detail on there lost by using a consumer grade lens and not an exotic tele... Looking at what the pro lenses are able to resolve on the conowingo FB page and Flickr is very revealing...

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Is this big enough for you, Andrew?
Not really - looks like a rather drabber version of the British starling:
;)
[Apologies for the picture quality - I have a much better composed version in higher res but couldn't find it].

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks