What's new

Universal--How about releasing a TODD-AO special 50th anniversary edition of AIRPORT (1 Viewer)

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
There are very few films that were shot in TODD-AO and it would be nice to see all of them on bluray from original elements. I saw AIRPORT in TODD-AO at Radio City Music Hall and was a sight to be seen. The 50th anniversay is not that far away. So how about it Universal?

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It just ain't "Airport", until its finally released as "AO-port".;)

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I, too, would Double-Dip on "Airport", if Universal rolled out a Red-Carpet Todd-AO BD transfer.

It is proven that 70mm to BD makes for the most superior of all displays
And its even better when that 70mm format is also a Todd-AO offering.
Its not just about the picture quality. It's also about the Sound Design.
With both factored in, the Todd-AO/70mm format creates a Two-Fold experience in sight and sound when brought to the BD marketplace.

Some may say that "Airport" is a dated film;
but that "WOW" factor from 1970 can be fully resurrected, if all of its technical aspects were reinstated onto BD.
As it it, the current disc is highly apparent within its still untapped potentials.
Of course, Universal knows full well of its catalogue; but, then again, their catalogue is voluminous and certain reminders to The-Powers-That-Be may be well worth citing as "Airport" has many attributes worthy of Universal's output.

"Airport" is ranked as the 42nd highest grossing film of all time, according to Wikipedia.
"Airport" grosses for 1970 were $100,489,151; adjusted for inflation this was equivalent to $558 million in 2010; according to Wikipedia.
"Airport received 10 Academy Awards nominations; including Best Picture; in the year of "Patton" and "M*A*S*H.
"Airport" led Helen Hayes to winning her 2nd career Oscar for acting.
"Airport" also led Maureen Stapleton to winning a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress

Once again, it is important to note that the emphasis here is for "Airport" to receive a Todd-AO release onto BD.
With that in mind, Universal should be reminded that three of the 10 Oscar nominations for "Airport" included:
  • Best Cinematography - Ernest Laszlo
  • Best Sound Mixing - Ronald Pierce and David H. Moriarty
  • Best Original Score - Alfred Newman
Visually and audibly, all three of these nominations played a crucial role in the theatrical Todd-AO experience of "Airport"; and these very same aspects will, most assuredly, factor into the BD Home Theater experience on many levels, yet to be released. As it is, the current BD of "Airport" is akin to flying Coach; whereas a Todd-AO BD transfer of "Airport" would be like an upgrade to flying First-Class.

Bring "Airport" in for a proper landing, Universal. There's many people out here who want to get on board.:popcorn:

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
It is proven that 70mm to BD makes for the most superior of all displays
And its even better when that 70mm format is also a Todd-AO offering.

The promoted film formats Todd-AO, Super Panavision 70, Panavision 70, Super Panavision and Panavision Super 70 AFAIK were all the same.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The promoted film formats Todd-AO, Super Panavision 70, Panavision 70, Super Panavision and Panavision Super 70 AFAIK were all the same.
But you do concur that these same-named formats are superior and look stunning when properly transferred onto BD, right?;)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
BOTTOM LINE: If Universal gave us a Todd-AO transfer of "Airport" on BD, would you buy it?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
As long as they used the original 6-track sound for 5.1 on the Blu-ray. I don't know if this film had it, but I just enjoy all the films that have directional dialog.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I agree with RolandL
All out or nothing.
Both in Sound (6-Track) and Picture (Todd-AO).
That's where Double-Dipping would hold its only value.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I forget the reviews for the blu-ray. Is it a question of the wrong aspect ratio?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The blu-ray looks good, but it's derived from a 35mm source.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This thread was for Universal to see not you. so knock off the stupid comments.
I concur, obviously.

Mr. Doe (Aki) is just kicking a hornet's nest. How much has he contributed to this forum? Beyond his participation in the Wade Williams debate, not much yet (a member for four years, with 250 posts). He seems to think that all I offer here, after 17 years and over 5,000 posts, are requests for specific titles, and while I do post those sometimes (as most members do), I also contribute, if not inside information, then at least points of interest that I hope will benefit some of the people who frequent this site. I shouldn't get defensive about it, no doubt, as this is really not about the end of the world, but I do feel my track record here speaks for itself, dumb and erroneous posts (of which there are more than a few) notwithstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks