What's new

Total Newbie (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Fluance has been around for many, many years. It's been one of the value oriented brands that's been recommended along with The AJ Pioneers and Polk Monitors. There's an almost endless supply of good speakers brands out there. Here's another one. And They're pretty nice looking too!

EMP Tek

http://emptek.com/impseries.php

I also see that you're looking for a 7.1 speaker set? Fpr those on a tighter budget there's also the Onkyo 993THX speaker/subwoofer package. They're not quite up to the quality of some of the other speakers mentioned but you can usually find them for around $700 shipped. Not bad for seven speakers and a 12" powered subwoofer. They are fairly in-efficient but your Onkyo receiver shouldn't have any problem powering them.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXO79L0/ref=dra_a_rv_mr_hn_it_P1400_1000?tag=dradisplay-20&ascsubtag=0a918054429470a6d830e3499ef715b0_S

But more money can definently get you better performance.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
3 pairs of EMP R5Bi and an R5Ci center speaker would be $870 shipped. Add a BIC F12 or Dayton 12" sub for a pretty nice setup. Too many options to choose from!

Krissy111

Auditioning
Real Name
Krissy
Hi guys,

Just wanted to bring everyone up to date on what I'm testing at the moment. I ordered and recieved this set and am setting them up today.

(2) Fluance XLBP High Performance Bipolar Surround Sound
Satellite Speakers

http://fluance.com/product/Fluance_XLBP_Wide_Dispersion_Bipolar_Surround_Sound_Speakers.eng-111.html

(1) Fluance XL7C High Performance Two-way
Center Channel Speaker

http://fluance.com/product/XL7C_High_Performance_Two_way_Center_Channel_Speaker.eng-103.html

(2) Fluance™ DB-150 10 Inch 150 Watt Low Frequency
Powered Subwoofer -
Mahogany Version

http://fluance.com/product/DB150_10_inch_150_Watt_Low_Frequency_Powered_Subwoofer_Mahogany.eng-126.html

(2) Fluance XL7F High Performance Three-way
Floorstanding Main
Speakers

http://fluance.com/product/XL7F_High_Performance_Three_way_Floorstanding_Loudspeakers.eng-7.html

I know that you guys probably have much better speakers then this but I did have a budget and just like about anything else whether is Rx's or other things Canada has much better deals since the whole country isn't controlled by a few corporations and billionaires.

I'll let you guys know once I set them up how they sound. I only wish I had one of you guys around because I'm probably not qualified to really understand how good or how bad they are, I'm just simply not a audiophile like you guys. However that being said I have unpacked them and they look great, lets just hope they sound as good as they look.

Later,

Krissy

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Just follow basic setup instructions, play some favorite music or movies, and you're fine. You don't need to know stuff you don't know in order to appreciate and enjoy your hi-fi. ;)

Krissy111

Auditioning
Real Name
Krissy
ChromeJob said:
Just follow basic setup instructions, play some favorite music or movies, and you're fine. You don't need to know stuff you don't know in order to appreciate and enjoy your hi-fi. ;)
Thank you David!! I guess you picked up on how inadequate I feel on this particular subject. It's hard trying to put something together that is so technological when it isn't your area of expertise. Talk to me about PC's or Smartphones and I know my business but with this stuff I'm really at a loss, so thank you for what you just posted as it allows me to have some peace with what I'm doing. It' actually funny because when I'm on a forum that has to do with PC's or Smartphones and I see a newbie on there asking the most rudimentary questions, like I've asked here, I always think to myself, "geez they shouldn't even be attempting this procedure". I still help them as the wonderful people on this forum have helped me, but I still wonder why they are attempting something they really don't understand. I love what this is doing for my hubby and I but I also have that feeling that I've missed something, done something wrong etc............ It's sort of like being the "new kid in school" you know everyone around you know all the in's and out's of being in the new school and you don't know squat. However, that being said, I'm just fortunate that I found this forum, I have yet to run into anyone that wasn't respectful, kind and considerate and that is saying allot these days. So I am grateful to everyone who has had input in this. The Flluance speakers are on a 30 day trial so if I don't like them or if you or anyone else has idea's I should be considering I have the option after 30 days to send them back for a full refund. There were other companies that had 60 day trial periods but they also had prices that should be on trial for gouging,.LOL.

So every thing considered I really am grateful to you David and the other guys, no way could I have made this decision without your input. I'll let you know how it all works out and in the meantime if anyone has any other idea's please feel free to share them with me.

Thanks

Krissy

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Since you're in Canda (I think), if you decide to keep auditioning speakers try Axiom, specifically the M22s.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Krissy111 said:
Thank you David!! ...
Thanks
Krissy
You're most welcome. I know what you mean about other tech issues. I've had to lash myself or hold my tongue when hearing:

. "How can I remove Google from my Android phone? What files do I delete? I don't want a 'heartbeat' going back to Google every minute of the day.... And [sic] I don't want to root my phone either..."

. "I unlocked and rooted my phone as per the tutorial, but now the OTA updates won't install. What can I do?"

. "I factory reset my phone but didn't figure out how to do a backup first. Any way I can get my data back?"

. [Numerous young know-it-alls who recommend "factory reset" as the second troubleshooting step after a first, simple one. Even after being told "Do not tell me the wipe/reset it, I know the WMD of fixes will make the problem go away."]

. "My Nexus 4 slides off the [2012] Nexus charger, particularly after a few days when the sticky rubber has gathered some dust on it. Verdict: lousy charger, I hate it."

(hand palm)

Probably the most useful thing you can do while you test hte speakers is to use the AVR to tell you what kind of signal you're playing (e.g. 2.0 stereo, 5.1, TrueHD/DTS-MA), and explore some of the AVR's modes, but always returning to "base" which is the Straight, no tone adjustment, no EQ/PEQ/DSP. Try several of your favorite, known content (music, movies). Trust your ears, not your logical financial sense ("I got these at a bargain, so i guess this doesnt sound so bad," "these cost a fortune, so I guess this is what expensive speakers are supposed to sound like"). For me a definitive moment is when I feel, "wow, it feels like I'm hearing this for the first time, again" or "holy cats, I don't think I heard that [instrument, or sound effect] before." Those are two subjective experiences that I interpret as "something has improved here." ;)

Krissy111

Auditioning
Real Name
Krissy
ChromeJob said:
You're most welcome. I know what you mean about other tech issues. I've had to lash myself or hold my tongue when hearing:

. "How can I remove Google from my Android phone? What files do I delete? I don't want a 'heartbeat' going back to Google every minute of the day.... And [sic] I don't want to root my phone either..."

. "I unlocked and rooted my phone as per the tutorial, but now the OTA updates won't install. What can I do?"

. "I factory reset my phone but didn't figure out how to do a backup first. Any way I can get my data back?"

. [Numerous young know-it-alls who recommend "factory reset" as the second troubleshooting step after a first, simple one. Even after being told "Do not tell me the wipe/reset it, I know the WMD of fixes will make the problem go away."]

. "My Nexus 4 slides off the [2012] Nexus charger, particularly after a few days when the sticky rubber has gathered some dust on it. Verdict: lousy charger, I hate it."

(hand palm)

Probably the most useful thing you can do while you test hte speakers is to use the AVR to tell you what kind of signal you're playing (e.g. 2.0 stereo, 5.1, TrueHD/DTS-MA), and explore some of the AVR's modes, but always returning to "base" which is the Straight, no tone adjustment, no EQ/PEQ/DSP. Try several of your favorite, known content (music, movies). Trust your ears, not your logical financial sense ("I got these at a bargain, so i guess this doesnt sound so bad," "these cost a fortune, so I guess this is what expensive speakers are supposed to sound like"). For me a definitive moment is when I feel, "wow, it feels like I'm hearing this for the first time, again" or "holy cats, I don't think I heard that [instrument, or sound effect] before." Those are two subjective experiences that I interpret as "something has improved here." ;)
You must be on XDA also because I see those comments also. What's even worse then that is the folks who come on XDA and DEMAND that devs do updates for their rom or their device. There are some who actually come on XDA and because I'm a Senior member think I work for Google or Samsung or HTC etc........and want to get into it with me about things they don't like about "MY" product. Those are also the same people who never donate to the Devs who work their tails off developing roms, kernels, flash-able firmware upgrades etc.... So I get totally what your saying.

Friday hubby will be gone part of the day and that's when I'll get to really crank up the Fluance speakers and see what there made of. He and I are two different kinds of people in that he likes to listen to music, but not too loud, I on the other hand, want to feel the bass pounding and I want to hear every high note, and if possible I want the windows to vibrate so I like my music kind of the same volume as a concert and I'm up front. Friday morning while he is gone I"m gonna crank those babies up and see what they'll do. Your also right about the financial stuff to, I can buy more expensive speakers, but the point for me is the sound. So if I can get what I want at a better price, then why wouldn't I go there??? So Friday afternoon Ill let you know if they are good, great, or the greatest speakers of all time. I will say this much I've learned about the Fluance speakers, we watched "Mad Max Fury Road" the other night and wow was that great. I don't know if I told you or not but I bought two powered sub-woofers and the Towers have down firing subls in them so I felt like I was in the movie not just watching it as the bass was pounding away yet the high's were beautiful. I also got a bit brave with the setup of the Towers in that I tried them straight wired and then bi-amped them and I know that bi-amping is a controversial subject as some swear by it and other audiophiles say is a waste of speaker cable. That being said I could tell a bit of a difference but not enough that if I hadn't run 4 conductor that I'd take the time to run two other pairs over to each speaker. I think what I like about bi-amping my speakers is that the high are a bit more crystal clear. Outside of that however I'm on the fence when it comes to biamped speakers, if you run four conductor speaker cable then why not, if your not running 4 conductor cable I don't know that I'd spend allot of time running more cable just to bi-amp.

Anyway like I said I'll know much more about these speakers come Friday afternoon.

Have a great one David,

Krissy

Krissy111

Auditioning
Real Name
Krissy
Al.Anderson said:
Since you're in Canda (I think), if you decide to keep auditioning speakers try Axiom, specifically the M22s.
Thanks Al, but I'm sure where you got the idea I'm in Canada, I'm actually in Atlanta GA. However I'm going to look at those speakers since you suggested them, who knows what I'll lend up with.

Thanks

Krissy

Krissy111

Auditioning
Real Name
Krissy
gene c said:
3 pairs of EMP R5Bi and an R5Ci center speaker would be $870 shipped. Add a BIC F12 or Dayton 12" sub for a pretty nice setup. Too many options to choose from!
That's the truth, I could spend months looking at speakers and never hear a note there are so many options.

Thanks for your input though Gene, I'll check those out.

Krissy

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
There are literally dozens and dozens (possibly hundreds?) of very good speakers out there, in all price ranges. My current favorites are Mordaunt-Short 902's from around 2003 or so. Small bookshelves that retailed for about $249/pr so you don't need to spend a lot to get a lot :) . Hope you enjoy your Fluance speakers :rock: !

Krissy111

Auditioning
Real Name
Krissy
Mike Frezon said:
Krissy:

Welcome to the forum! So glad to see these guys have been helping you out so much!

Keep letting us know how things are going! :welcome:
Thanks Mike, I certainly will, this is one heck of a forum, really great people here, I'm grateful you guys let me join.

Krissy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks