What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Titanic SE See Post #541 for Update (1 Viewer)

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Just in case Paramount is watching this thread....count me in for a 16x9 enhanced, SE of Titanic.

/Jeff

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I would hope that a Titanic SE would be a bit more user-friendly than the Terminator II SE. I would much rather have all my documentary footage in big chunks rather than ninety-seven-thousand little snippets. That was incredibly annoying.

For now, my Titanic Laserdisc does the job nicely, but I would jump on an anamorphic SE very quickly.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Count me in as one who will buy an SE. I sold off my DVD a while back because I have the DTS laserdisc. I would have no qualms buying a special edition DVD.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
I'd love to replace my non-anamorphic version with an SE. DTS would be good as well...but I still want the whole movie on one disc.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
The Titanic SE DVD will definately end up in my collection for sure! Just so long as it's 16x9. Oh, and DTS would be sweet too but not necessary.
peace -

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I think we all have one dvd we play first after any upgrade, one we've watched enough times to easily guage the results of that upgrade.
For me, Titanic was that dvd. I'd always pop it in first after any tweak or equipment upgrade, and invariably ended up watching the entire 3+ hours as I do love this film. Every re-watching was like visiting an old friend.
Then last October I got my first 16/9 set. Titanic is not anamorphic, and though my JVC Prog. scan player can be tricked into scaling it (Titanic is not flagged properly for this to work automatically), it's just not nearly up to the standard it was before on my old 4/3 analog set.
I actually mourn for my old friend, have yet to settle on a new reference disc.
For this reason alone an anamorphic Titanic SE is a must. If it can be done with the wealth of extras on Abyss and the other Van Ling SEs that would be icing on the cake.
If only mr. Ling can be persuaded to abandon his elitist devotion to those @#$$%%%$# Easter Eggs.

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Before this turns into another Godfather 2-disc issue, it will be nearly impossible for Titanic - SE to be contained on one disc for the movie.

Just the fact that the original DVD (which was not anamorphic nor a high DD5.1 bit-rate (I believe), was crammed to the hilt when that version was made, a new SE would not permit this.

The anamorphic process in itself will extend the bitrate to the point that the entire move cannot possibly be placed on one dual layered disc. And if Cameron adds more of the deleted scenes (Carpathia and Molly Brown scenes), this will truly extend the running time even more.

Adding any other extra commentaries will also negate the idea of a single disc.

Titanic - SE will have to be broken into two discs for the movie (possibly like the VHS tape was). The VHS tape picked up right after the iceberg hit and Jack was being searched for the necklace.

Of course, this would also have to be addressed even further if an additional DTS track is added.

So I wouldn't get my hopes on for a single disc for the film!

Martin W

Agent
Hi all,

As I'm sure many of you have already heard of, rumor goes around that a Titanic SE is in the works. A believable rumor indeed, since a lot of people were dissapointed by the content and quality of the 1999 DVD release. The original release features an excellent but non-anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer and low bit-rate Dolby Digital 5.1 sound.

As Paramount is not known for putting out the best DVDs out there, I think it's a good idea to give them a hint what the consumers really want, before the disc even goes into production. The point is to eventually put out a petition to Paramount on how many people that would buy a new release of Titanic if the disc is presented with quality content. This will give them an idea on what is actually important to this release.

What I would like this release to include:

- 16x9 enhanced 2.35:1 transfer with NO edge enhancement (likely to be THX approved)

- 754 or 1508 kbps DTS 5.1 or prefferably DTS-ES sound track

- 448 kbps Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Digital EX sound track (likely to be THX approved)

- 4+ disc set where two of the discs are pure movie (like Buena Vista's "Pearl Harbor")

- Movie disc space used efficently like the "superbit" DVDs

- Loads, loads, and again loads of special features as in documentaries, interviews, making-of's and prefferably a good documentary on the real Titanic (again, like Buena Vista's "Pearl Harbor" Gift Set). I imagine there to be a lot of material shot that would fit the DVD, and it would be a shame not to use it. Also of course the standard features such as theatrical trailers, commentary tracks and Celine Dion music video.

Please add what YOU would want to see and not see on a Titanic SE DVD! What would make you buy the disc, even if you already have the original release? What is a deal breaker even if you are not that big fan of the movie?

Let the crusade begin...

Kevin P

Screenwriter
All I would need to buy the disc is a good anamorphic transfer, this movie SCREAMS for anamorphic! I have a 16:9 HDTV and of all my non-anamorphic titles Titanic suffers the most for it (excess jaggies in ship railings, etc.). Excess compression and edge enhancement doesn't help matters either. If it is necessary to split the movie onto two discs, that is fine with me, it's over 3 hours long anyway.
Other things I would like:
  • Feature length commentary(ies) by James Cameron and perhaps others involved
  • Deleted scenes, with commentary
  • Historical footage that was left out of the film--I know there is a lot of this since some of it was on the James Cameron's Titanic Explorer CD-ROM set.
  • Fox's "Titanic: Breaking New Ground" special
  • Behind the scenes/making of documentaries
  • Celine Dion video
  • High quality DD 5.1 soundtrack. DTS or EX would be great to have but aren't show stoppers.
If DVD-ROM features are included, perhaps the entire contents of James Cameron's Titanic Explorer (3 CD ROMs) could be included on one of the DVDs.
But it HAS to be anamorphic.
KJP

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Martin, welcome to the forum!
I am one of this films biggest supporters you'll meet here, and have posted in every 'Titanic SE' thread that springs up.
I agree with every suggestion here so far, and will add my usual wish, Paramount, you MUST include at least three commentary tracks, one with James Cameron (yeah right) and Russel Carpenter, another with Kate, Leo, Frances Fisher, and Billy Zane, and finally, my fondest wish, a track with historians and technical advisers Ken Marshcall, Don Lynch, and Bob Ballard!
My heart is absolutly set on that last one, I will be EXTREMLY disappointed if it's not included!
And, as I have mentioned in the past, I have the perfect name for this set, TITANIC The First Class Edition DVD.
Paramount, this is the most successful film in worldwide box office history were talking about here, not your average release, I will except nothing less than an edition that sets a new standard for dvd, pure and simple.
Thanks.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
When the SE of Titanic is released, and I am confident there will be one of course, I hope ALL the above mentioned features are included...and then some.:)
Now let's just hope that no one comes in and farts in this thread. A Titanic SE thread seems to always be a Gas Magnet!:D

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
I realy hope Paramount does this movie on dvd right very soon.
This movie deserves a very nice dvd release with everything on it.
I like Martin's view on a new special edition so here's hoping it will happen.
Paramount , are you ready to go back to TITANIC ;)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I agree on everything said above. John W. and Tino...my old Titanic mates...sniff, sniff. This might be better served in Studio feedback, but hey, whatever:D
I agree on the historic track...I have one on A Night to Remember (It has Don Lynch). As for features, they are well-covered above by fellow posters.
I must again ask for dts...my laserdisc is incredible. I'd hate for it to remain the benchmark. 2 discs for the movie, and at least a DVD-9 (or two, please) for the extras.
Thanks for listening,
Chuck
Tino is right...maybe my manhood will get questioned again;)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I agree with all the above. And, of course, I agree that it DOES need DTS. It's a Special Edition DVD that's begging for the high bitrate DTS treatment. :)

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
While people wait for a SE DVD, I do recommend Cameron's CD-ROM "Titanic Explorer" which provides a full historical perspective on the tragedy and also features a good deal of the cut footage from the movie depicting real events that didn't end up in the final cut.

Paul Chi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I totally agree that Titanic needs a special edition. I have been holding off in buying this disc hoping for a special edition. The current disc sucks! And it is way over priced. So Paramount please release a Special edition and I would buy it in a heart beat. Thanks.

Richard Ruffner

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, if they split the movie across two discs where do you split? There's no intermission. Maybe, (tongue in cheek) you could split right before they hit the iceberg, and have a cliffhanger.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryH12
Recent bookmarks