What's new

Titanic SE See Post #541 for Update (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
It seems like we are seeing more and more re-releases of DVDs, enhanced with better transfers, extras, etc... Is there any news on a new, anamorphic release of Titanic?
-Dave
------------------
DVD List

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
There is no announcement of such, but I would think it's a given that Titanic will be re-issued. As to when is really up to Cameron and he has stated his desire NOT to revisit this title anytime soon.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I don't understand this at all, here is the #1 movie IN THE WORLD and Cameron and Paramount are just blissfully ignoring it!
confused.gif

What's the hold up, get this Titanic: First Class Edition dvd done!
------------------
"How can I heal, when I can't feel time?"
Leonard from Memento

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I don't understand this at all, here is the #1 movie IN THE WORLD and Cameron and Paramount are just blissfully ignoring it!
I'm sure Paramount (and Fox too; it was a co-production) would be delighted to release a new version of Titanic that would sell a zillion copies. But if the filmmaker wants to take a breather from the subject -- and after the marathon that Cameron ran to get that film done, who can blame him? -- there's little the studios can do.
M.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Heck, do it Superbit style - optimal picture & sound, no extras. Cameron doesn't even need to be involved. :)
-Dave
------------------
DVD List

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Can a movie that long benefit from a superbit treatment? I doubt it.
As for the lack of a special edition, clearly to me this is the result of Cameron's utter lack of love for DVD. He has yet to record a commentary for any of his movies released on DVD (I think he DID record a few in the LD days, can someone clarify this?). Also, look at fan-favorite The Abyss, while there are TONS of extra features, the transfer is not anamorphic (which sucks since I have a WS TV), as per Cameron's wishes.
Couple that with his desire to stay away (at least for now) from the movie itself and chances are we wont see a Titanic special edition any time soon...
------------------
Frank
frank.jpg

DVD Collection | Website

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have read that cameron doesn't like doing commentary tracks. I know he did some limited commetary on the deleted scenes for the new terminator 1:SE.
Cameron has pretty much said all he is going to say about the abyss. if you watch the interview on the documentary.. Its pretty interesting.
I do remember Cameron hosting the abyss on the scifi channel.. he said that he was his favorite movie.. that was before he made titanic.
JACOB
------------------
The #1 Unoffcial Site Of Sarah Douglas
www.angelfire.com/ca4/sarahdouglas
Please vote for the uncut version of Conan The Destroyer on dvd
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/002724.html

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
It is surprising that this has not been done yet. I agree that it is just a matter of time until an anamorphic edition is released, but there are no signs of this happening anytime soon, which is unfortunate.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Also, look at fan-favorite The Abyss, while there are TONS of extra features, the transfer is not anamorphic (which sucks since I have a WS TV), as per Cameron's wishes.
I don't remember the exact reason that The Abyss wasn't anamorphic, but if Cameron, for whatever reason, didn't want his movies to be presented anamorphically, then he's not doing a very good job at enforcing that. Aliens is anamorphic, along with Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition, and MGM's new Terminator: Special Edition.
True Lies and Titanic weren't anamorphic, if I remember correctly, because Fox and Paramount weren't into releasing their titles in anamorphic at that time, for whatever reason. Don't think Cameron had anything to do with those decisions. I'm sure that once they're re-released (which they will be), they'll both be anamorphic.
The Abyss not being enhanced is really the only one I have no idea on. Fox had already released several anamorphic titles (Alien saga, Patton, The Thin Red Line) by the time The Abyss was released last year. Maybe you're right--maybe, for some reason, Cameron didn't want an enhanced transfer--or maybe Fox already had the transfer done and decided it wouldn't be worth it to remaster just for the anamorphic enhancement, much like what happened with Planet of the Apes.
Anyone know for sure?
-mwb-
------------------
Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
May 22, 2002

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
quote: clearly to me this is the result of Cameron's utter lack of love for DVD.[/quote] Frank, I hope you're kidding. The majority of Cameron's films have been given special-edition treatment:
The Terminator (forthcoming from MGM)
Aliens
The Abyss
Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition
A list like that doesn't indicate a "lack of love" for DVD. All that remains is True Lies and Titanic, both of which will be revisited at some point in the future.
quote: (I think he DID record a few in the LD days, can someone clarify this?)[/quote] Cameron never supplied a feature-length commentary on LD or DVD, but he's supplied tons of interviews, extra materials and additional writings for various special editions. Whether or not someone likes doing commentaries says nothing about their attitude toward DVD.
quote: The Abyss, while there are TONS of extra features, the transfer is not anamorphic (which sucks since I have a WS TV), as per Cameron's wishes.[/quote] I don't know where you're getting your information, but the lack of anamorphic transfer on The Abyss was purely a financial matter. Fox wouldn't pay for a new Cameron-approved hi-def transfer; the disc came out in March 2000, before Fox had fully committed to anamorphic support anamorphic (the last major non-anamorphic Fox release was Planet of the Apes, five months later). I also have a widescreen TV, and The Abyss is one of the best nonanamorphic transfers I've ever seen.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on September 04, 2001 at 07:38 AM]

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I just got one question for all you Cameron defenders:
Where the heck is Piranha II: The Spawning?!
:)
BTW, I guess the current edition is the Steerage Edition?
[Edited last by Mitty on September 03, 2001 at 08:43 PM]

Paul Chi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I sure hope that Titanic will be revisted for a special edition. Some people may disagree with me, but this is an awesome film!!! So please, I beg you Paramount and James Cameron, please release a special edition in the near future. Thanks!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Titanic is my most rewatched dvd, and I would love to have as much "making of" stuff as is on the Abyss SE. I'm sure there must be a wealth of this laying around.
If Fox could be in charge of the SE instead of Paramount just think of what we'd get: DTS-ES, a 3 disc set like Cleopatra with a 2 hour making of documentary, maybe a diary like the one the kid did for the Gladiator disc (I know, that was Dreamworks), maybe even a 5 hour long "director's cut" including all the footage that was shot involving the Californian.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I liked this movie and definitely think a SE is due. However, for me, repeat viewing is limited for this title. I like good movies whose theatrical releases are usually in the non summer months and turn out to be "gems" that not everyone has seen. I can usually show them to guests, while movies like Titanic are not usually requested.
Elbert

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I don't remember the exact reason that The Abyss wasn't anamorphic, but if Cameron, for whatever reason, didn't want his movies to be presented anamorphically
No, The Abyss had an anamorphic transfer prepared, but Cameron didn't approve it. At that point Fox could not go back and create a new transfer, and so went with the non-anamorphic one.
I heard that in person, from someone who would know.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The "buzz" is that YES, TITANIC will be revisited.
'Nuff said!
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Thanks for that update Ron.
I think Paramount will revisit TITANIC again.
This movie needs a new Anamorphic Widescreen transfer and also DTS.
Not forgetting the extra's this movie could have on dvd.
But untill that time I will have to manage with my TITANIC dts ld.
------------------
There is another world....The DVD WORLD !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks