What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Faithful Readers of the Weekly RoundUp:
I am trying out some new things as I get ready to start my 21st year of compiling the RoundUp. PLEASE, give me feedback.
With the news that Best Buy will be out of the business of software sales as of 1-1-24, I have decided to add some new retailers/etailers on a trial basis. Let me know which ones you like/prefer.
I’d also like FEEDBACK as to whether you believe the RoundUp continues to be a valuable part of the HTF landscape. I don’t know how serious members here are in terms of comparison shopping for titles upon their release. It seems to me that it was a much more sought after tool years ago. Let me know what you think!
And what about DVDs? Do RoundUppers still purchase/shop for DVDs? Currently, I only list DVDs which do NOT have a corresponding HD release. But maybe no one cares.
Let’s hash out all this!
–Mike

Where to find the Best Deals on Movies & TV Shows on 4k/UHD...

Continue reading...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Please see the preface to this “Test” version of the RoundUp. This IS the actual RoundUp with all pertinent releases and prices. But I’ve changed up some things--mostly our featured retailers--and would really appreciate feedback. And I’ve got some questions which I hope we can discuss over the coming weeks.

By the way, this is a HUGE week for releases. I’m going to be checking out Our Town sometime. I’ve never seen the film version and am curious.

Safe shopping, RoundUppers! :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll be picking up American Grafitti and the South Park discs.

Thanks for the prices, Mike! :)

As for feedback, my response is: whatever you want to do is fine by me. You're the man generously spending his time to compile the list each week for us so whatever works for you ultimately works for me. I pretty much only buy from Amazon, Target and Best Buy so expanding beyond them is not something that I'm looking for but I imagine a number of people will appreciate some of the additional retailers. And I don't know if that many people worry about a DVD release but I like seeing them for the small number of titles that don't have a Blu-ray. Again, it's easy for me to say all of this since I'm not spending my time on it so do what you think is best.

Has Best Buy actually given January 1 as the date that they're dropping discs? I knew it was next year but I didn't know they meant the first damn day of next year. :laugh:

Mike; Your Roundup is invaluable to me. It’s the first thing I check every Sunday morning and the work you put into this is much appreciated. Since our local Best Buys have dropped all physical media I have purchased .mainly from Amazon and GRUV. I may have to check out those newly listed retailers now. I normally don’t purchase DVDs unless it’s the only way to get a particular movie or unless the DVD I already have is P & S and it’s being released in the proper aspect ratio only on DVD. Hope this helps and thanks again for all you do for all of us.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
My only complaint has nothing to do with you or the roundup, but I'm frustrated that disc prices keep creeping up. I haven't paid $29.99 for a new UHD in a few months now, it seems like all the new high profile releases have gone up to at least $32.99 and higher. Frustrates me to no end.

Roundup is great! Thanks so much!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Looks good. As Travis says and I think I've said before, you should do what you want to do. If you enjoy compiling the information, keep it up. I do try and view the info weekly, though I don't often buy much on release week these days, usually waiting until the price drops a bit. Plus I've been buying a few more digital versions, especially as blind buys, trying to cut down on disc storage space.

You shouldn't be spending hours every week for us if you have other things you'd rather do. But if it's a hobby you enjoy, I know I still enjoy looking through the listings even if it's just to keep up on what's coming out moreso than checking prices and making actual purchases.

I would vote that perhaps we don't really need DVD listings unless it's maybe something from a smaller label like Kino or Classicflix that's only on DVD and unlikely to be available in a digital format. I'd mentioned recently that I was possibly interested in the series Wolf Pack, but likely not on DVD (which seems to be the only disc format) when it can be purchased digitally in HD. Disappointed to see Joe Pickett S2 on this week's list in DVD only (S1 was available on blu-ray).

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mike - Should you continue? YES! If it's in you to keep doing it. Your generosity of time in compiling the Roundup is so, so appreciated by me. I too check it as soon as you post it every week, and find it to be an invaluable tool for my disc shopping.

The addition of more retailers is AWESOME in my opinion. With Best Buy bowing out, I think that this information will become more and more valuable as time goes on. Please continue! :)

DVDs? I haven't bought a stand-alone DVD release in years, so that data isn't too important to me. However, the format still outsells Blu-ray and 4K UHD combined, so I'm sure there are many people who might appreciate having those releases continue as part of the Roundup.

AND, just let me take this opportunity to thank you once again for all of the hard work you've put into the Roundup over the years! HTF just wouldn't be the same without it as far as I'm concerned.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
We're off to a good start.

I won't lie. Hearing from you folks is good for the soul. It's no secret that each RoundUp these days gets about a thousand views each week. You can see that from a quick glance at past threads in the Bargains & Deals sub-forum.

If I randomly select a view of RoundUps from 2009, say, I see that each week drew about five to six-thousand views. RoundUps in 2005 got anywhere from nine- to twelve-thousand views!

So we have a fairly obvious correlation in loss of interest in physical media (due to the advent of streaming) well-represented in RoundUp trends.

I would suspect most of us who still show up here each week are rather dinosaur-like in our approach to the hobby. Even though I stream some, I am much happier to insert a high-quality disk and still make more disk purchases than I care to admit.

But I have really been wondering about the efficacy and dwindling demand of interest the RoundUp.

Personally, I will also admit that my time commitment is not insignificant and I have questioned whether I should continue to compile them. This introspection becomes heightened when I realize that this upcoming New Year's celebration will be the 20th anniversary of me taking over the reins of the RoundUp from Dave Lambert (damn you, Dave! :D ). :laugh: This is all to say I don't want to be wasting my time and shouting into the wind. I want to note how much I appreciate those responses above which take into consideration my time/effort into this task.

So, the more we discuss the RoundUp--and especially, any changes YOU might like--will be helpful to me. I won't lie that the addition of several new retailers this week added quite a bit of time/work to the task but I wanted to see what the results looked like. I will not commit to so many retailers each week so LMK which ones you think would work best.

Has Best Buy actually given January 1 as the date that they're dropping discs? I knew it was next year but I didn't know they meant the first damn day of next year. :laugh:

🤷‍♂️ Honestly, I thought that's what I read. From Bill Hunt's Digital Bits:

Best Buy is phasing out physical media in the new year, following the 2023 holiday shopping season.

Wonder if they'll have a clearance sale? :D

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The weekly round-up is often the main reason I visit every week; so yes, it's very valuable to me. On the other hand I don't buy nearly as much as I used to, mostly because the streaming companies aren't releasing what I watch.
I think your approach for DVDs is great, as I only get DVD if I can't get Bluray. (And now that DVD.com is gone I'll probably be buying more older DVDs.)
I confess I buy almost everything from Amazon and only go to Deep Discount or Target for those few that aren't available or there's a huge price difference. But seeing more options is preferable, and I'd make use of them in the same way; but not knowing how much effort it takes I can't say if it's worth it.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Best Buy's official statement was "early 2024," so I think things will start to wind down after the holidays, with a complete phase out by February/March. I doubt they will have a clearance sale, though. More likely, anything not sold by the cut-off date will get shipped back to their distributor.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I doubt they will have a clearance sale, though.
Maybe a garage sale?!

Hold On GIF by Justin Bieber

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
American Graffiti for me. This thread is a must for me as it reminds me what is coming out each week without having to live in the Blu-Ray / DVD forum. Is there anyway you could add Barnes & Noble to the table since that seems to be the brick and mortar retailer with the biggest selection.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Is there anyway you could add Barnes & Noble to the table since that seems to be the brick and mortar retailer with the biggest selection.
I haven't been to Barnes and Noble in a long time. But the only Blu-ray discounts I ever get there are when they do a 50% off Criterion sale.

Are there actually other discounts to be had at B&N? Or would adding Barnes & Noble to the grid essentially be listing the retail price?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I haven't been to Barnes and Noble in a long time. But the only Blu-ray discounts I ever get there are when they do a 50% off Criterion sale.

Are there actually other discounts to be had at B&N? Or would adding Barnes & Noble to the grid essentially be listing the retail price?
New releases are often 30% off plus the 10% off if you are a member.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mike,

I don't respond most weeks but I always check each week. I appreciate the time and effort you put in each and every week. I always enjoy checking the prices you provide.

It was nice to see BullMoose, Deep Discount and Gruv. These are places that I check even if they are not listed. I appreciate your desire to change with the changing marketplace.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks