What's new
World Wide Stereo

thinking of getting a SVS need help (1 Viewer)

DaveMcFar

Grip
OK I got my tax return back and I'm thinking of getting a SVS. From what I'm reading it sounds like getting a PCi will get me the most for my money. My room size is 18'x32'x8' with one opening to a hallway leading to a stairway going upstairs and a couple of windows on the right hand wall. I was leaning towards a PCi 20-39, but a guy on this forum has an older PC 16-46 for sale for $350, but I would have to drive between 150-200 to pick it up or pay shipping if he agreed to it. My question is what to do?

I guess I should say I currently have a Onkyo 502 (I believe it's the one that comes with the HT770 system). Will this receiver handle the sub or should I think of upgrading the receiver first.

thanks

Dave

728x90

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Normally I would suggest buying new (warranty, improved driver, new sub smell, etc), But then again, the used sub is $300 cheaper and you'll have to pay for shipping with either sub....

Personally I'd buy the used sub and drive down to get it. That way you can inspect it in person and know it its damaged or not. And you could always buy an upgraded driver later with your savings if you wanted....

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Will this receiver handle the sub or should I think of upgrading the receiver first.
__________________________________________________ ______

Your receiver will handle the sub just fine. I think if it were my decision, I would go with the new 20-39. The 16-46 is definitely a good buy, but in a room your size, I would go with the 20-39 or the 25-31. It will provide you a little more headroom.

I agree with Garrett except to say, that's one rather largish room. Is the PB12-ISD/2 out of the question? You might save $$ in the long run if it's not? Please scold me if I'm being to bold??

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I have a room similar in size to the one you will be using and I started off with one of the early 20-39pc subs. Really loved it but the upgrade bug bit and reading this forum makes the itch much worse! Eventually upgraded the pc to an "i" and then upgraded that to the PB2+..... the overkill is great.
My recommendation is to buy all the sub you can afford. If you do buy the older PC, it is fairly reasonable to upgrade it to "i". You WILL need some head room in that room.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Dave,

You have a very large room (my HT room is 30x16x8 and am using eight SVS 16-46s to which B12-Plus/4 twins will be added eventually--and I already have them), so it looks like getting the 16-46 (is a good price spite the driving distance you'd have to do to pick it up) will be the best route to take currently. However, I would add more in the future if I was you (as economics permits, of course :b ).

My 0.02 cents... :)

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

EdwinK

Agent
Frank, there is a difference between filling a huge room with sound and filling that same room with subs. Just thought to mention this. :D

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Any modern A/V receiver with a 'Sub-Out' RCA jack will work with any powered subwoofer. Yes, your 502 will work with a SVS PC sub.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

Frank, there is a difference between filling a huge room with sound and filling that same room with subs. Just thought to mention this.
__________________________________________________ ___________

Really? Oh, well...what do I know... ;)

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks