What's new

Home Theater Speaker Layout Help (5.2.4) (2 Viewers)

Jeff16

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
Hello!

We will be beginning a basement finishing project next month and one of the things I am most excited about is the home theater area. I am planning to do a 5.2.4 setup, but have a two different layouts I am considering and seeking your help and advice. The two attached png files are the two speaker layouts I'm considering; the jpg files are pictures of the unfinished basement.

Option 1 - For the Atmos speakers, I am considering these: https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-elevation. For the front heights, I was thinking the contractor could build a nook into the ceiling to mirror the angle of this speaker to try to conceal the speaker from visibility below the ceiling line, but not block the sound path. Ideally, the speaker would be positioned to be facing the MLP. For the rear height speakers, I would also use the SVS Prime Elevation, but would have them mounted as high as possible to the two support poles (which will be boxed out with wood or drywall). The rear heights would be directed to the MLP as well, but will probably be about 1 to 1 1/2' lower than the front heights due to the soffit around the ductwork. The left and right surrounds would either be a bookshelf speaker sitting on a shelf built into the wall or something like this: https://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-surround which would be wall mounted and I like a lot given the directional capabilities for multiple seating positions.

My biggest concerns with Option 1 are whether the in-ceiling nook is practical / feasible vs a standard in-ceiling speaker and whether the L/R surrounds are too far away from the MLP. I don't want to mount surrounds on stands.

Option 2 - This option has me moving the MLP closer to the TV (planning between 75-85" TV) and realistically the best I could hope to do with the rear height speakers is to have them situated as in-ceiling flat speakers and directly above or barely behind the MLP (to the left & right). The soffit is again the challenge and I don't want to put any speaker in the ceiling under the ductwork. With this option, I would then use the pole mounting to be for the L/R surrounds.

I know that L/R surrounds are supposed to be even with MLP position, and in option 2 they become more like rear surrounds. Was not planning to go up to 7.2.4 due to increased cost of speakers and needing higher channel AVR.

I am leaning towards Option #1 , but was hoping to get feedback from this community to see if there is another layout option I am not considering. Thank you in advance for any feedback and recommendations!

Attachments

• 5.2.4 Option 1.png
    5.2.4 Option 1.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 989
  • 5.2.4 Option 2.png
    5.2.4 Option 2.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 403
  • Basement 1.jpg
    Basement 1.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 266
  • Basement 2.jpg
    Basement 2.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 229
  • Basement 3.jpg
    Basement 3.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 291

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I would also suggest option #1 but would consider in-ceiling speakers, especially since this is a new build. You might also want to take a look at the Dolby site for speaker placement guidelines as this is an extremely important factor if you want optimal performance.

Jeff16

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks John - I'm not against in-ceiling speakers, its just that the Prime Elevation received good reviews and made sense if I was going to do the pole mount for the rear heights. I am familiar with the Dolby recommended layout for 5.2.4 - the soffit will just prevent me from having in-ceiling rear heights more than 2-3' behind the MLP. Would that still do the job for rear height?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Definitely option 1. At least regarding speaker layout.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks John - I'm not against in-ceiling speakers, its just that the Prime Elevation received good reviews and made sense if I was going to do the pole mount for the rear heights. I am familiar with the Dolby recommended layout for 5.2.4 - the soffit will just prevent me from having in-ceiling rear heights more than 2-3' behind the MLP. Would that still do the job for rear height?

They're great speakers. I had 6 of them in my room until about a year ago. Check out the pics in my sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks