What's new

Things I wish I would have done differently in my project (1 Viewer)

G_Courtney_A_A

Auditioning
We're just weeks away from having the foundation poured in our new house. The basement will be finished by me over the next couple years. This thread will save so many headaches I can't thank all of you enough. I've learned more here in one day than I have in the past couple months of searching the web. Keep it coming and thanks for this excellent forum!

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I live in an apartment so everything is limited, but I wish I had of set up my theater the way I have it now from the beginning as my overall enjoyment now is much higher than the last 2 years.

Justification

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Couple years into the thread so not much to add but here goes.
Biggest problem is lack of access to back of equipment. I would have set my cabinet up where all components are accessable from the back for ease of wiring. The additional advantage would be that the components would be behind the viewer with better ventilation.
More cable, but we were unaware of what was coming down the pipe. Wired for 7.1 plus an additional center rear channel that is still unused, but did not run DVI or HDMI.
ran a flex pipe with the plan that I could pull additional wire, but it is not accessible as it is behind the cabinets, nor is it big enough.
Set up the recessed lights on seperate dimmers for zones, but should have had the front 6 on one with the rear 3 on the other instead of the 3 front (one row) and 6 rear (2 rows) together.
Wooden platform for floor instead of on the cement slab, but low ceilings and the flow of the room would dictate that I would have to dig out to lower the basement in this portion to have the design the same. Due to the way we use the room it's got to be on a level floor with the pool room.

yeshu

Auditioning
Real Name
Yeshwanth
Hi Guys,

I am new buyer of HT. I am buying the system from Dell, is it any good. I will let you know what i am buying tomorrow as i will be getting a quote from Dell tomorrow.

Please reply to me. It's little bit urgent.

Thanks guys

Yesh

Bud Huey

Stunt Coordinator
Now that I am 80%+ finished with my theater, the one thing that I missed during my HT planning was to budget for insulation. I insulated my riser, my stage, the walls, ceiling, and trays. At the end of the project I probably have $800+ in insulation. Insulation is one of those things that are easy to add during construction, but very difficult to add after the fact, so I would not recommend taking shortcuts - just make sure to include it in your budget!

Good Luck,

Bud

Dave1

Grip
Real Name
David
I currently have a room that has the wiring wired into the ceiling for a projector. Now that HDMI is on the scene I wish that i had installed an electrical conduit pipe through the joists in the ceiling to where the projector is to be located back to the room behind this room. That way I could run the HDMI cable in the ceiling with no problem or even run better cables in the future if I had to. I have access to the room behind as it is an unfinished room in the basement.

Dave

JKL1960

Agent
Real Name
Jim
I was lucky enough to have found this thread and read it before I started designing my theater. Many thanks for allowing me to learn from other's mistakes.

I do have one to add.

If buying a projector and it will be fairly normally cieling mounted buy the factory cieling mount if they offer one. I could have ordered a factory cieling mount for $150 when I ordered my projector but I didn't.

I ended up using a universal mount and while it worked quite well I had to modify it slightly which involved several trips to hardwrae store looking for bits and pieces. In the end I didn't save enough probably about $40 which I would have happily spent on the right mount after fussing with the universal model.

GreggP

Auditioning
Real Name
Gregg Price
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm in the design stage of my HT, and this is helping me with pitfalls and ideas.

apulido

Auditioning
Real Name
Adrian
What's the purpose of adding sand to a stage? Dose it increase the bass? I've seen pics but not shure on the purpose. Any links to sites that explain this I would really appreciate.

Rob Grim

Stunt Coordinator
The only thing I wish I had done was run a Cat 5 line for networking so all the gear that uses broadband internet connection to update firmware, online game play with Xbox 360, etc. I wouldn't need to string a network cable across the room and down the short hallway to get to my router.

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
apulido said:
What's the purpose of adding sand to a stage? Dose it increase the bass? I've seen pics but not shure on the purpose. Any links to sites that explain this I would really appreciate.
1) Technically, this is a bit off-topic in this thread; it would have probably been better to start your own thread, if you wish to get some helpful responses.
2) Even so, I will try to respond. Based on my own readings, i believe the two major reasons for sand in a stage are as follows:
Reason one -- if left hollow, that stage would be a large, empty box, made of wood, and as such it would tend to resonate and vibrate just like any musical instrument, especially when certain frequencies were played. Specifically, it would probably resonate when a subwoofer kicked in, if the correct range of frequencies were being amplified, and it would then "re-amplify" with harmonics, even worse. Someone once write that his (with no fill) sounded like "the world's largest bass drum." The result might be audio hell.
Reason two -- many people actually place their speakers (especially a subwoofer) on that stage. The subwoofer caused the top of the stage vibrate, which allowed the sound to travel to the sides, which provided a path to the walls, then to the studs, then to the ceiling joists above, etc. Similar flanking paths used the floor of the theater. Sound travels. In such cases, any attempts at sound isolation (soundproofing) might be almost nullified.
Hope this helps.
=============
Now, back to the real topic.
I wish I had installed a light to blink -- to alert me when someone is at the front door. I have had to wait to join a few of my own parties until the very last guest arrived, as I knew I could not hear the door if I went down to the home theater. It is not too late to add this, but it would have been much easier to do so during the construction of the room.
-Bruce

mulz

Auditioning
Real Name
Mat
Half way through building now.

Do we all think that with two fifteen inch subs and four bass shakers that i still need to build a false wooden floor off my concrete slab.

I would have thought the speakers etc would have been better on a solid foundation and use air movement and shaker movement rather than vibrating the whole floor. Cleaner tighter bass.

Ant thoughts

joe goswami

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Goswami
I'm fortunate enough to have changed homes 3 times in the last 3 years. My first crack at building a home theater/family room in the basement was not bad but could have been better cosmetically. Ceiling was all drywall and popcorn can only hide so much :) Things I would have done differently - hard to say because as we all know - BUDGET is EVERYTHING!!! My second kick at the can was in my Mom's basement (yep - family in tow). We gutted the basement and replaced all the ceiling tiles and carpeting and re-painted. It was a budget reno but effective. I did learn that my system was better suited in a smaller room than the large insulated open space of HT # 1. Mom's basement we called HT # 2. Now we finally have our own place again and I'm just in the process of drywalling & insulating the ceiling and adding the halogen pot lights. HT # 3 is an 11x20 room with full 8' ceilings.All the wiring including wiring for LR & RR surrounds are buried in the walls. The L,C,R, & SW wires will all be hidden behind the wall unit as in HT's 1 & 2. The SW will also be hidden behind the wall unit in the corner of the room. I plan on future proofing should the time come for HDMI cabling or another TV (projection or LCD????--$$$$)Cosmetically, my wife & I are learning as the HT versions increase. We hope this to be our last move.

TAllen01

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas Allen
Read this thread and used it to my advantage. Completed my build in April, 2007. Already behind the times. Everything can be networked now, from the satellite DVR to my AV receiver to my HD-DVD player and my Blu-Ray disc player and my home theater PC. I ran cat-6 wire to my media room, but not five of them! I am using a modem-router-switch method now, but I wish I would have run more wire in the first place. My suggestion: to a media room, run at least six cat-5e or cat-6 wires from your home run room if you have one.

Jubelet

Auditioning
Real Name
Skip
I wish I could start from the beginning again. At this point the room itself is finished - sheetrock and paint, no frills. The planned wiring is all in, but as I can see now, it's just a basic setup. There's no room for future technology.

Someone said upthread, "It's never finished." I can see that is so true! No way can I anticipate what I want tomorrow, so as of today, I will install the TV I bought last night, change what I have to change, and enjoy what I did right.

Why didn't I put electrical outlets in places that made more sense? Why didn't I find out about correct speaker placement before I ran the wiring? Why didn't I think about ventilation of the room, since it has no windows?

When you're building a house there's so much to think about. It can be overwhelming, especially the first time. Every day the builder called me at work to ask "what do you want to do about this, and that?" I did my own wiring setup in the HT, ran the cat5 and cable, and installed the central vacuum myself, each and every step I took was was the first one of it's kind for me. I would do it different today, but at the time it was what I thought was right.

VicB

Agent
Real Name
Victor Bullara
I installed a cooling fan in the back of the credenza my Sony 52 inch LCD sits on. Even though there are no front panels where the receiver, DVR and DVD player sit, the heat builds up. Now I can rest easier knowing these units will not over heat.

Empirefan70

Agent
Real Name
Empire
Torgny Nilsson said:
I hope to have my home theater finished by this weekend, but if I had to do it again I would:
4. Built a wooden subfloor on top of my slab concrete floor to get better bass;
5. Run audio wires for a back center speaker in case I ever wanted one; and
1. Run two sets of speaker wires through the walls for each of my front speakers, center speaker, surround speakers, and rear surround speakers. By running two sets of wires to each speaker, I can place one or more subs in the same positions and not lose any of the other speakers, or I could bi-wire the speakers if I ever felt that made a difference;
2. Install a pull down screen rather than a fixed screen. I can hide the screen away, making the room look like it can be used for something other than pure home theater and I can hang art on the wall, install a bookcase, etc. I can also close up the screen to prevent damage when not in use (but perhaps at the sacrifice of some surface tension);
3. Get a projector that can tolerate some ambient light. I don't like the idea of having to shut the room up like a tomb in order to view a film;
4. Get a 4x3 screen and projector rather than a 16x9. I DON'T lose much size at all when viewing widescreen material, and get a LOT more size when viewing 4x3 material such as old movies, etc., compared to someone with a 16x9 projector and screen;
5. Installed a dedicated electrical circuit to my components;
6. Installed dimmers for all lights; and
7. Installed solid core doors and insulated the room to block sound escaping to the rest of the house.
There are a few items that I would agree with there. I’m thinking of getting a simple affordable video projector DLP type for £199.99 yeah brand new and that is nutty low price. I’m feed up of watching films with clutter in front of me.
I’ll also look into different types of white material for the screen and yes I want the screen fronts matching LCR and subs behind it!
I would more then likely build a THX baffle wall with absorbent high frequency material fitted over it to allow a more, deeper sound as well as focused sound.
Professional 19” racks will be installed in the bedroom along with 98% of the equipment while a few basic items will be kept in the room. The whole system at present for LCR is running with a (loudspeaker management crossover system) Behringer DCX2496.
Surrounds cover the whole length of the well nearly the whole length of sidewalls as well as rear wall for solid performance as possible.
I have plans to block up the main window in the room one is to reduce the outside traffic and aircraft level and also it would be great for video projector because I hate to muck around with curtains to hind the stray light getting in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks