What's new

Things I wish I would have done differently in my project (1 Viewer)

Anthony S.

Agent
This is indeed one of the best threads I have ever stumbled across! As fate would have it, I'm meeting with my builder tomorrow to begin some wiring and conduit work. He agreed to let me run conduit, wire for a phone/intercom system, cable for a security camera at the front door, and extra electrical outlets, including one in the corner of the HT for a powered sub and another on the ceiling for a future front projector.
I put my deposit down on this townhome in March, so I've had a lot of time to think about things and plan. I agree with everyone who says you CANNOT do enough planning. I have
1) drawn diagrams for everything. Can't stress this enough. Has made a huge difference in going forward with plans;
2) allowed builder's contractor to fleece me on the structured wiring, since I had no choice but to use them. Still glad I did it, though, because I have seen what it's like trying to run wiring in an existing home;
3) paid for extra RG6 and CAT5e runs to HT and master bedroom, the two major focal points. When I drew diagrams later, I found an immediate use for many of the "extra" runs;:)
4) estabished a good relationship with everyone associated with my builder, especially the project manager, for obvious reasons;
5) priced out things so that I left money in the budget for new toys for the new house.
Things I didn't do that I might have if I had read this thread earlier:
1) Plan wiring for butt shakers under sofa (still might not be too late);
2) Run even more RG6 and CAT5e (as I noted above, almost all of the "extra runs" are now accounted for);
3) Done a better design of the lighting for the HT. I have recessed lighting that comes standard in the room, and I optioned for 4 sconces. I should be fine with this setup, but since I had time, and the builder's electrician willing to work with me, I should have researched different lighting options more.
All in all, I'm pleased with the plans. Time to implement them has arrived!

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I would have obtained a DVI based DVD player BEFORE I closed up the pre-wire drywall. Also, I would have moved the light dimmer out of the hall and into the actual room so that the universal Harmony remote could actually send a signal to it. Both of these things are going to be corrected. :b

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
I am getting ready to embark on my HT, I have been planning on building one for almost 2 years now so I have had alot of time to plan things out, I am on a tight budget as I have to refurbish 2 bathrooms, a kitchen and paint all rooms in the house as well as replace all the flooring through out the house, its a great house but hard to explain what a basket case it is at this point, lets just say 30 year old carpet, avid tobacco pipe smoker lived in this house, KILLS PAINT IS MY FREIND!!!! Luckily I was a carpenter for 4 years, my father was a carpenter and general contractor for 20 years, my two best freinds are an Electrician and a Drywall finisher, I will be starting this project in a couple of weeks, keep up with it all in the HT construction forum, once I start I will keep it updated with pictures through out my construction
on another note for anyone wanting to paint their screen on a wall as I will be doing, I would recommend using Metal Studs for that wall, the reasoning is that metal studs are always perfectly straight and true and they will never warp

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
I read about "ground loop interference" before I started wiring my home theater, but decided it wouldn't be a problem if the projector and all other equipment was on the same circuit. So I put the lights (with dimmers) on one available circuit, and the equipment on another.

Well, it turns out that ground loop interference is a real problem. When using the projector for television (that is, when the VCR tuner is in use) I get the annoying horizontal line that travels slowly up the screen. It stops if I plug the projector into a different circuit. The problem is that I've long since closed up the walls and running different power to the projector (or VCR) is going to be a major headache.

Moral: if at all possible, check all your equipment in place before you close up the walls.

Edit: Well, this was a problem in my living room, but now that the equipment is actually in the theater it is inexplicably no longer a problem. Fine with me.

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
My living room entertainment center is on wooden legs. I have to lift and move the whole darn thing (containing a TV, audio and video components, and about 400 CDs) in order to get to the back of any of my components. It is a real pain.

For my new HT, I made sure my entertainment center was on wheels so I can easily swing it out to get to the back of my components. It is a breeze!

Since my HT has a FP, I tried to think ahead and had a power outlet installed in the ceiling where I thought I'd end up mounting my FP. While I got the placement right, I did not think about surge protection. I have yet to find a good surge protector that is ceiling mounted. I have had to settle for a small, probably fairly useless, outlet mounted surge protector for my FP. If I was doing it again, I'd run a power line from the FP mount area to the equipment rack area so I could power my FP through the same surge protector/line conditioner I use for all my other audio and video equipment. (I am not sure how that would work though, a long extension cord run through the drywall sounds like a bad idea.)

If I wanted to be even more future proof, I could also have run a power line and speaker wiring under my floor, so it comes out through the floor under my seating area in case I ever want to add Buttkickers.

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Monster makes a small little surge protector you can plug into the wall, I think you can also get outlets with them built in...

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
I posted this in another thread but thought I would post it here too, I ran all my speaker wire in a 1/2 inch plastic flexible waterline called SIL-O-FLEX, that I found at LOWE'S in the plumbing dept, its about 8 dollars for 100 feet and fish tape goes through it wonderful, its so good that you could probably push speaker wire through it without fish tape but I havent tried yet, I ran this for all speaker locations including where I will eventually put Bass Shakers and even ran a line for a future rear Center channel, never know what the future holds :) I used a Half inch hole saw in my cordless drill to make holes in the top of the outlet boxes, although the holes in the back of the outlet boxes will work too, but I found it put the box in a bit of a bind so I just ran them in the top, this wont effect any code as this is just speaker wire, I also bought some 1/2 inch tube brackets to attach these lines to the studs so the line wont back out of the boxes, I wrapped electrical tape around the line where the bracket goes to insure a tight fit, you can see the bracket in the first pic, the brackets were about 45 cents for a pack of 5..... here are some pics
Speaker Run 1
SPEAKER RUN 2
SPEAKER RUN 3

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
The only thing I regret not doing and wishing that I had was run conduit through my riser to make it easier to fish cables. Not that I really need to, but it would have been a nice feature to have for any kind of upgrading later.

Cheers,

Andrew

Darren McGruther

Stunt Coordinator
the drywall went up so fast in mine, I forgot to run the wire for my projector. thank god I haven't purchased one yet, cant wait to get it but I'm dreading the wiring. One other thing, I only ran 5.1 not 7.1(duh)

HowY

Grip
I'll toss in a few... after some 5 years installed...
Did'nt pre-wire for 7 channel.
Did'nt think I'd want multi-zone.
Should have wired in a few extra
input feeds....
Things I did RIGHT:
Output video & audio straight to the TV from the DVD
so the kids can watch DVD's without the whole system
running... and composite to the reciever tv
I'm a transducer believer and glad I installed
the shakers ON THE FURNITURE and now they have
"isolaters" that are rubber feet to isolate the
furniture from the floor HANG ON! Big Fun
Followed the POLK guide to wiring up my subs
(l5's in isobaric chambers built into the
floor joists)
You guys hook your subs into the LFE...?
< Nube and it wont allow linking yet... ED. NOTE: I Added working hyperlink>
*READ THIS ARTICLE*
http://www.polkaudio.com/home/faqad/...cle=bassmanage
Let me (or polk) change your thinking!
-- That is if you all are into music too --
Wire the shakers on the LFE and put the sub's on the
pre-out! Only enable sub when I want the shakers runnin...
Went thru lots of testing to come into complete agreement
with Polk's findings enabling the sub in the DSP kills
the main drivers.....

Gary Sedlack

Agent
I begin construction next week. After reading this thread I think I have most of my bases covered. Here is a list of what is going in. 6 dedicated 20 amp power lines for amps & AV, lots of couduit, pre wite for 7.1 ( already have the speakers), 1" wood sub floor over the slab, stand alone HVAC system, pre wire for a second sub. Not using any shakers so non issue. Interior dimentions of the room ar 13x23, 10' celeing double soffit for lights and a/c.

Gary

andrew lewis

Agent
Only thing I need to do is put some dynamat on my big old picture windows. Watching anything w/ 1 of my dual 10" on gets annoying when the whole house shakes.;)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
This forum helped me avoid many issues (thanks) but I still had a few.

1. Put an outlet in the corner where the sub is going. I have one 3’ away, but you can see the cord.

2. Added a switch to the ceiling outlet for the projector. My 4805 doesn’t power down all the way when using the remote. The fan runs on low all the time and my wife & kids can not reach the projector’s switch.

3. I hadn’t thought of hooking up a computer to the projector during construction, so I didn’t run the DVI to the projector. I will run one when I add the switch to the outlet. I will have a hole in the sheet rock anyway.

4. After I painted the textured ceiling, I saw little white holes the next day. I should have painted it with regular paint first, then the colored textured paint afterwards.

5. When I got another gallon of paint to repaint the ceiling, I wish I double-checked it first. He gave me the satin finish instead of flat that I asked for. Didn’t notice it until the next day after drying.

6. Used some recessed lighting. All my lights are wall mounted. I like the way they look, but they add light on the screen. With recessed lighting, I could have some ambient light without shining on the screen.

7. Gotten someone else to finish the sheet rock. I hate doing it. Spent 2 weeks at it. The finish is not as smooth as I would like it.

8. Ordered the seating sooner. The room is finished but it is another 2 weeks until I get the seating.

9. Aside from these items, I am happy with the results. I saved much money doing it myself. My kids and I had a great time working together building it and they have the satisfaction of knowing that they helped.

Dave

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Alright here is my quickly thought out list!

1 Painted the walls in Flat paint to reduce refections from the screen. Bad idea, should have used a washable satin.

2 I have separate lights for my equipment and software area. All the time I go to walk out of the theater and find a light still on on the other side of the room, so I have to walk back over around the couches to turn them off. Had I installed 3way I could have put a gang box at the door.

3 installed a better IR repeater system. I still can do it but should have been ran in the wall.

4 Should have paid for a pro to do the mud and tape work.

5 Should have ran speaker wires for overhead channels. I ran 26 wires through out the room and none went over head where I now have a overhead Envelope channel!

Wish list:

More money to work with, did all the theater for under $10,000.

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I am still discovering new things I should have done differently:

1. I should have purchased a universal ceiling mount (such as that sold by Chief) for my projector. I just replaced my first projector and had to buy a new mount. If I had purchased a universal mount to begin with, I would have saved $150.

2. I should have run conduit big enough for a DVI cable and all the other cables I could conceive of running along the same conduit (which probably means I should have installed 3-4 inch wide conduit). My old projector did not have DVI, but my new one has it. No way I am ripping up 40 feet of drywall to run a DVI cable. I also would have thought about how expensive such long runs of cable are.

3. I should have installed a good in-wall power conditioner in my ceiling near my projector to provide power protection to my projector.

4. I should have decided on the projector before wiring for it. As it is, my power outlet is on the wrong side of the projector, so I have a couple feet of ugly power cord hanging from my ceiling. Or else I should have arranged it so that the power and cables came out through the ceiling mount.

5. I should have given more thought to how I would hook a computer up to my projector and audio system.

6. I should have installed more in-wall wires for speakers. I only ran in-wall wires for 6.1. I should have run wire for 7.1 (though I did run two sets of speaker wires to each speaker position so I could put my sub anywhere in the room or add another sub anywhere in the room)

7. I should have installed front wall accoustical treatments at the same time as I was drywalling and installing power and speaker outlets.

8. One thing I am still very happy I did: buy an open backed entertainment center on wheels. It has made it very simple to rewire, add or remove components, etc. I no longer groan when having to made any modifications.

ShelbyB

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I am about to purchase my first house. A dedicated HT room will be going into it.

Being the smart guy that I am I knew that to do it best, there would be many things this room should have done to it before its walled up and finished.

Anyways, the point being, I just read this whole thread and its awesome. Really one of the best threads I've ever run across. I hope this doesn't die.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks