Things I wish I would have done differently in my project

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Parker Clack, Jan 22, 2004.

1. vinman

vinman Auditioning

Buy a house that would contain my Home Theater on the main floor of the house without having to segregate the whole thing to the basement or a dedicated theater room where the sitting arrangement often feels like being in a church staring at the screen as if it was an altar.

Integrate my Home theater with my living space to co-exist mutually in design and decor on the main floor of the house and setup an everyday viewing area with a 50 inch TV that will accommodate a dozen people and at the flick of a remote control transform the same area into a projection theater while controlling the light sources.

Conceal all the components while making them (and all the wiring including the power wires)accessible and easily removed or retrofitted while incorporating all current technology : audio, video, satellite, internet ,games etc. and leave room for future technology to come.

Automate the house to be selfsufficient and off the grid when necessary.

2. bert lancaster

bert lancaster Auditioning

definitely soundproofing and sub floor. and acoustic isolation in the bar to keep the glasses from rattling

3. movieman58

movieman58 Auditioning

The Dell home system is just like their computers...GARBAGE. I can tell you from experience.

4. movieman58

movieman58 Auditioning

Great thread, I have a question.

Some have said they wish they would have installed a subfloor because they lose the bass and feel from the subwoofer. If you don't install a subfloor and only have carpet and pad would adding a second subwoofer in the rear of the room compensate for this??

Thanks.

5. JoeCool6972

JoeCool6972 Stunt Coordinator

For starters... be rich so I could afford better equipment and a real theater room! :P

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  6. LeRoy_B

LeRoy_B Auditioning

+1

Solution to the Bass issue is to get more subwoofer...I have a single Yamaha YST-1500 12" 1000Watt sub in my 16 X 29 space, corner loaded and it does the job well. My floor is slab concrete with felt/berber carpeting.

7. Liquidsteam

Liquidsteam Auditioning

I have many things I would do different. 1st is to use sound proofing in my ceiling (HT room is in basement). 2nd is to run speaker wire, RCA, HDMI, and power to a couple of ectra spot for the future. 3rd is pay more attention to lighting, not the placement but the kind of lighting. I used regular pot lights and I should have found something that was less prone to rattling. 4th install wall plates for RCA and speaker lines.

8. najtanszeoc

najtanszeoc Auditioning

ok

9. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    I got a pro to set up my projector and screen and do all the wiring, so I'm lucky. It all works perfect! No regrets.I've got a slab floor with linoleum and the bass is great. It helps to have a good sub. I've got a top of the line Sunfire and I have to pull the volume back or I start earthquakes!

10. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    I have yet to attempt a dedicated setup, but current notes include:
    In smaller rooms where you want a 7.1 setup, go with height channels up front.
    Banana plugs are much easier to deal with in hookups than bare speaker wire ends.
    HDMI can be a wonderful thing.

11. AlphaPie

AlphaPie Agent

I built my TV stand myself as well as the other tables in the living room, because I got the materials free from work and it was fun for both the wife and I. But at the time I did not expect to build a system because we are in a townhouse at the moment. After I read, watched, talked, slept and ate home theater for the past 6 months my wife told me to go out and get started with it, lucky me :D. So now I have a custom made tv stand that has no way to place a center channel speaker actually center with the TV. I have bookshelf speakers and nothing to set them on by the TV. Ill have to find time to make another stand..

12. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    With the introduction of Dolby Atmos for home theater in 2014, my advice would be to not forget to wire for ceiling speakers. Up to 10!

13. ellisr63

ellisr63 Stunt Coordinator

Ron
    I didn't listen when told "Do not install equipment until the HT is completed". 2 months later we still have the HVAC to complete, hallway needs ceiling completed, a ton of acoustic panels need to be made for walls and ceiling, electrical switches and outlets need to be tidied up, stage needs carpet on the front edge, soffits need insulation in them, bottom panels for soffits need to be made, projector is still not mounted permanently, side surround columns have not been made, and trim around the rope LEDs needs to be finished.