What's new

The Star Wars Prop Replica and High-End Collectibles Collecting Thread. (1 Viewer)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Chazz,

I think Mark was referring to the Illusive Concepts Darth Vader Reveals Anakin Skywalker 1:1 statue. There's one on eBay right now if you want to see what they look like. I've always thought about getting one, but I think I'll just wait and see what Sideshow does(if they even do a Vader).

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Thanks Brent yeah checked it out- doesn't look real hot. Little is known about how SS will approach these(will vader's helm be removeable?) but they will be quality I'm sure.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Tim and Brent,

YES! Aren't MR 1:1 sabers excellent!!! Like I said, I was surprized by how much I loved my Vader EP IV saber (numbered 3734 of 7500) when I first got it. No one makes better replicas of screen used props. That's why I got so stoked to hear they were doing Vader's helmet.

Chazz,

yes that was the Illusive Concepts Vader reveal I was thinking of. Man, it is just so underwhelming and I can imagine SideShow doing a MUCH better job. It also explains thier mixed media approach, which seems to have worked well for their Alien busts.

I think they could do standout Vader reveal and a Yoda.

I just hope they stay away from latex and go with silcone or cast resin for the parts that are skin: latex is not archival and will shrink and deteriorate.

Personally, I will just stick to finishing my full size Vader statue and skip the 1:1 busts unless I have money to burn.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Sam,

For some reason, once an item is sold out from MR they don't keep it on their website. Most of their full scale lightsabers sell out once they are released so the only place to get them is on the secondary market. I found my Dooku saber at an authorized MR dealer, but even most dealers don't have this item available anymore and pretty soon the only place to find them will be eBay.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
When MR revamped their website with a new look they dropped the links to all the items they have made in the past, even items that were shipping just as they were rolling out the new site.

I have a Vader and a Luke (graflex) saber but not Luke ROTJ, which I'd like to get for the sake of completing the original trilogy collection. My favorite is the Obi Wan ANH saber. It's so much more visually interesting than the others. I'm not really interested in any of the prequel sabers though.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just received my GG Darth Vader!!!
I have to say I really love it. The mask is much improved over GG's first Vader bust. (It was too boxy.) This one is perfect. The costume looks like Vader as seen in ROTS, but the pose is decidedly ESB as in, "You do not yet realise your importance...".
It is going to be hard for the SS one to top this for me. Guess I'll have to wait 'til it arrives on my doorstep.
:D
Finally, the back of the Vader box mentions that a 1/6 scale Darth Maul is coming soon from GG.
Hmmmmm...maybe a GG Sith Lords series is in the works?

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Mark,

You lucky bastard. I should've ordered my GG Vader from the Star Wars Shop way back when so I'd have it by now. As it stands, I probably won't get mine until next week or the week after(of course, that going to seem like nothing in comparison to waiting for the Sideshow Vader).

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I bought a Force FX Luke TESB saber and loved it. Then I read that the new Anakin FX was better, brighter, louder and more size accurate. I thought that with 1/2 the batteries it couldnt be but I figured, "What the hey?" I sold it but could only find the new VADER Fx which I bought and was a bit underwhelmed. The individual LEDs seem much more noticeable. I thought the Luke was Far superior. So now I'm wondering, is the Anakin really better than the Luke?

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

I haven't seen the Anakin FX, but I do have the Vader Episode V FX and it looks great. I don't see any problems with the one I have and I'm wondering if maybe you got a bad one. You might want to return it and try another one OR you could just go ahead and get the Anakin like you wanted in the first place. I hear it's the brightest and loudest saber in the FX line.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Brent,
Yes, I am feeling lucky today. But, how much more am I paying for my GG Darth Vader than you? See, I knew it would cost me more (I even saw them on eBay for $170.00 not including shipping.), but I knew I'd rather pay the extra $30 to have it sooner.
In less than a month, you'll have the same thing and will have paid less for it...who will be the lucky one then?
:)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Mark,
I pre-ordered mine for $172 shipped so I think I got a pretty good deal. I don't mind waiting a little longer to save a few bucks, but now that I know they're out there I'm chomping at the bit. ;)
By the way, how does this statue compare to other Vader figures/statues you might have? From the pics I've seen and the one I saw on display at C3 the GG looks like the most accurate depiction yet, but the Sideshow and the new Kotobukiya that's due in September look pretty damn good too. Then there's the new figure from Medicom in Japan that's supposed to be out in June or July. That thing looks incredible as well. At this point I really can't decide which one looks the best.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Brent,
I have the first Koto, and I had (I sold it.), the first Gentle Giant bust of Darth Vader. Honestly, I was dreading the thought that the face mask would repeat the errors of the first bust.
I am happy to report they corrected all of that, and it really does look like the slightly narrower face mask of ROTS Vader. I also think the pose is unbeatable. There are nice little touches, like it looks like they inserted little nails to replicate the end of the billet sensors, and the chain on the cape was inserted also.
By now, I have looked at it from every angle and hyper-scrutinized the mask (the reason I sold off the other becaues I just was NOT happy with the proportions), and it is really is spectacular.
I put it next to my first Koto, and both are nearly the same size (GG wins by a nod), but this is where the difference between polystone and vinyl comes in to play: the polystone just looks better. Aside from the ability to get sharper details in the helmet, the GG wins hands down. Also, the Koto's cape, for some reason, is kind of lumpy in its texture. The GG wins for pose, base, and pretty much on every level except the aforementioned sharpnes in the facial features.
Whether people prefer the SS Vader to the GG Vader is probably gone to depend on whether they like ROTS Vader or ANH Vader, the mixed media approach, and the pose. Personally, I prefer the helmet and armor of ROTS Vader. Also, while the SS Vader will beat the GG Vader for scale and techno-gizmos (the lightsaber lights up, right?), the actual cloth is probably going to make people prefer one to the other as well, and the pose of the SS Vader, to me is a bit dull.
Of course I will totally change my mind when it arrives in a few months.
:)
Mark

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Mark, Brent, and others who have the Force F/X sabers:
I posted this a few days ago, but mine all did arrive. Luke's ESB saber, Vader's ESB, & Anakin's ROTS.
Very cool indeed! But, the only thing that I'm kind of ticked about is they all share the same display stand. It just reads, Star Wars . There's not the inscription like it is on the scaled versions.
I was thinking of getting a small plate engraved by a trophy shop or something? What do you all think? Otherwise, they all look pretty similar and no one will know whose they are except for me. :b
They are cool though.

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
I wish I could remember seeing the Kotobukiya Vader at C3. I saw so many things I can't hardly remember which is which. :)
I did order the Kotobukiya Yoda and it looks pretty cool. For the price it definately isn't bad.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Tom,

The Kotobukiya Vader was near the entrance in a big display case with all of their other current statues(Boba Fett, Darth Maul, Jango Fett, etc) and it really stood out because it's larger than all the previous Koto statues. I took a picture of it with my digital camera so if you want to see it just e-mail me and I'll send it to you.

As for the original Koto Vader, I've thought about getting it for my collection, but with the new one coming in just a few months I think I've decided to pass on it. Besides, if the GG is as great as Mark says it is, then there's probably no need to get the old Koto statue anyway.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Tim,
I agree that the stands for the Force FX sabers should at least say the character names on them, but for the price I can't really complain too much(especially since the sabers themselves are so freakin' cool). ;)
By the way, what do you think of the Anakin saber? I only have the Vader Episode V right now, but with all this talk about the Anakin I'm thinking about picking it up as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks