What's new

USHE Press Release: Back To The Future Trilogy (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Lord Of The Rings is my favorite trilogy. I do like the first two Before films (haven’t seen the third one yet, but have it, so I hope to watch it soon). Will have to watch BTTF trilogy from beginning to end.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
And, of course, there's also Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.
That, too, for sure. I didn't think of it at first because Batman has been reinterpreted so many times, but as a complete entity unto itself, Nolan's work definitely counts as a favorite of mine as well.

I do like the first two Before films (haven’t seen the third one yet, but have it, so I hope to watch it soon).
Watch it! It's great. It's very heavy (and not in the fun Back to the Future sense of that word) but it's great. I can't believe it's been ten years since that movie came out.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I was just browsing movie times and noticed that Back to the Future is scheduled to play on September 21 at my local Cinemark. I assume it's probably a Fathom Event deal because the tickets are priced at $12.50, which is standard for all of their catalog movie showings.

Obviously, this is for Future Day. But they chose the wrong movie. I understand that the first film is the most popular of the trilogy, but the whole reason Future Day is a thing is because September 21 is the date Marty and Doc visit in Part II. So if they were only going to show one of them, you'd think Part II would be the choice that makes the most sense.

Of course, Universal showed all three films on Future Day in 2015. That was great, except for my theater screwing up during the scenes that took place in 2015 and not showing the complete movie.

But it seems to me that fans who know what Future Day is who would want to go support a re-release on that day, specifically, would want to see Part II. At least, I would. So choosing to show only the first one seems counterproductive.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got back from the Fathom event for Back To The Future. The presentation was good but not spectacular and the movie has never looked particularly good on disc.

This is one of my favorite movies and one of the most perfect movies in history with an incredibly tight script.

people often point to George and Lorraine not recognizing Marty at the end as a big flaw but I find it unlikely that you would remember exactly what somebody that you knew for one week 30 years ago looks like. You definitely wouldn't suspect that it was your son who traveled back in time.

I personally find it more unbelievable that they had about a half second window for the Delorean to hit the cable when the lightning hit. The lightning could have hit at any point that minute as the clock didn't have a seconds hand and there was a lack of people observing the exact moment the lightning struck.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
But at least BTTF III came out only six months after II, not three years in the case of ESB.

Regardless, it wasn't a cliffhanger -- you might personally feel that way, but AFAIK, that's not the general understanding what a cliffhanger would be.

It's not like they left Luke still hanging and being hunted somewhere inside Cloud City w/ his safety still unknown or the like afterall for instance.

Fellowship of the Ring ended w/ more of an actual cliffhanger than ESB for instance... and I'm not sure anyone necessarily feels (or complains) that was a cliffhanger either -- I've certainly never heard that described as a cliffhanger anyway.

_Man_

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t really see Back To The Future Part II as being a cliffhanger because the film resolves it’s primary plot; it’s more that it’s ending sets up a new adventure for the characters.

The big dilemma in BTTF2 was that Marty was sent to the future to prevent his family from facing ruin, and in changing that, they inadvertently messed up the past which destroyed the present and future. That is resolved before the film’s end. Even if Marty got left behind in 1955 or Doc got stuck in 1885, they’ve already succeeded in restoring the present and future to normal order. Marty (and the audience) get the catharsis of knowing their actions have succeeded and saved the day by virtue of the delivery from the letter carrier.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don’t really see Back To The Future Part II as being a cliffhanger because the film resolves it’s primary plot; it’s more that it’s ending sets up a new adventure for the characters.

The big dilemma in BTTF2 was that Marty was sent to the future to prevent his family from facing ruin, and in changing that, they inadvertently messed up the past which destroyed the present and future. That is resolved before the film’s end. Even if Marty got left behind in 1955 or Doc got stuck in 1885, they’ve already succeeded in restoring the present and future to normal order. Marty (and the audience) get the catharsis of knowing their actions have succeeded and saved the day by virtue of the delivery from the letter carrier.

A cliffhanger can resolve a plot but remain a cliffhanger because it leaves the audience... hanging.

Which happens at the "end" of "BTTF2".

I guess one could argue "BTTF" itself was a cliffhanger but I think we all viewed that ending as a gag and not an actual cliffhanger.

"BTTF2" was different. It left audiences unsatisfied and annoyed that the film concluded on an unresolved note.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
"BTTF2" was different. It left audiences unsatisfied and annoyed that the film concluded on an unresolved note.

Maybe that's how some audiences felt. But I think in general, everyone knew that Part III had already been shot and was coming right around the corner, and fully expected Part II to end that way. Especially given that the original movie ended with a gag setup for a sequel when there hadn't actually even been a plan for one at the time, what else was II supposed to do?

Weren't BTTF II and III the first franchise sequels filmed back-to-back with uninterupted production? At least, they were the first I remember being widely publicized as such. Everybody heard about it. Everybody knew the release plan. I believe there was already a poster for BTTF III in the lobby when I went to see BTTF II in the theater.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Maybe that's how some audiences felt. But I think in general, everyone knew that Part III had already been shot and was coming right around the corner, and fully expected Part II to end that way. Especially given that the original movie ended with a gag setup for a sequel when there hadn't actually even been a plan for one at the time, what else was II supposed to do?

Weren't BTTF II and III the first franchise sequels filmed back-to-back with uninterupted production? At least, they were the first I remember being widely publicized as such. Everybody heard about it. Everybody knew the release plan. I believe there was already a poster for BTTF III in the lobby when I went to see BTTF II in the theater.
Yes, there was plenty in the press at that time about how they were shooting the films back-to-back (it was a big deal) and that Part III would follow quickly in theaters after Part II.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t remember finishing Part II and feeling cheated - I was exhilarated. I enjoyed the science fiction elements of the first one more than the romantic comedy elements so to have a sequel that really leaned into that, and ended with a time travel conundrum was nothing less than thrilling. I only ever saw the first film on home video so it always had the “to be continued” tag at the end, and I was young enough that the only way I could take it was literally.

All a matter of perspective of course but if you’re a kid watching these movies for the first time, they’re not jokes - the time travel stuff can play straight and that wound up being the hook for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks