What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) (3 Viewers)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm not quite with you on #1, since I don't really see how they could have shown Theoden's former greatness in TTT, without some jarring flashback that might have been ineffective anyway.
True, it would have required more Theoden screen time. Something that the pacing of the theatrical cut wouldn't have born out, but could have been done in the E.E.
Or they could have shaved 10 minutes off the over-long Helm's Deep sequence... ;)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
It takes away from Theoden's ability to break the hold by himself (okay, mostly by himself, with some aid from his friends). This is the beginning of the transformation of Theoden back into the powerful king he once was, and will be again. This makes his fall in the upcoming battle all the more tragic.
Agreed. I thought the moral here was what happens when you are basically ensnared by someone that is sneaky and persuasive (thus the nickname Wormtongue). Saruman and Wormtongue did their best to talk Theoden into not moving around, that he was old and couldn't risk his health, etc etc - and less a matter of real ensorcellment (sp?). This seemed to highlight the dangers of being misled, but that you can stand up and make up for your error.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yes Dave, in the books it is not an exorcist-like possession, like they have it in the movie. The "years falling away from the withered king" was no doubt as much metaphor as metaphysical. I think they [the filmmakers] couldn't think of a good way to bring that scene onscreen, or perhaps they wanted to demonize Saruman more, and thus changed that whole scene.
Speaking of changes from the novel I didn't like, I also don't like how Saruman is changed as well. In the books, he isn't trying to become an ally or 2nd in command to Sauron. He wants the ring for himself and is trying to secure that power. Just as Sauron doesn't share power, Saruman is not trying to either. You don't get the sense in the film that Saruman is trying to be anything other than Sauron's V.P. :D

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
You don't get the sense in the film that Saruman is trying to be anything other than Sauron's V.P
I tend to agree with you, but it's not a change that bothered me. The exorcism didn't bug me too much either, but it took the focus away from Theoden and put it on Gandalf the White and Saruman. I'm not sure there was a "better" way to do it, but it just never pleased me.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
It takes away from Theoden's ability to break the hold by himself (okay, mostly by himself, with some aid from his friends). This is the beginning of the transformation of Theoden back into the powerful king he once was, and will be again. This makes his fall in the upcoming battle all the more tragic.
This transformation is moved to the beginning of ROTK so it is still there - just moved to a different spot. The general reaction to how well Theoden is perceived in ROTK bears the decision to move this moment. It is a different approach to the book - I have no preference for one version over the other. The movie version does keep Theoden's refound self confidence more current and creates a nice moment when he declares that, '..and Rohan will answer!'

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Not quite the "thread revival" as it was last October, but still worth a bump.
I'm in the middle of selling some HT gear and wanted to watch something that was visually and sonically a gem. I chose The Fellowship EE . I hadn't seen this since last fall and was due a re-visit.
Just re-reading the updated posts from last fall it's clear that most of us share the same feelings about FOTR. Although comments like ROTK-EE was still unchartered territory for us since it wasn't released yet.
Fellowship remains my favorite of the LOTR Trilogy and still ranks in my top 2-3 films. 2005 has been a stellar year for big films actually delivering, but I think that FOTR raised the bar in 2001 in terms of what would pass for fantasy type films. Revisiting those great moments in FOTR-EE just confirms how well it was done. Granted, it's only 4 years old...but alot of modern films don't hold that magic in terms of storytelling and even visual effects. This one does.
How many times can we say the same things?! :b The entire EE is rich, but right at the moment when Aragorn shows his true character and resists the ring from Frodo, "I would have followed you to the end..." right at that moment-until the end is one of the most cinematic and gripping ending sequences in film history. There are other films that might end with more emotional power (like Titanic) or even a nostalgic emotional moment (like Sith) but there's no denying the pace, intensity, the score, the way the final moments of FOTR take hold of you.
Ok. The love-fest is over for now...until the next viewing. :b

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I am currently rewatching the trilogy in one hour chunks myself. My feelings about the trilogy are well known so suffice it to say I find all three installments of equal value.

I still am of the opinion that FOTR resonates more with many viewers because it is a quest movie whereas the other two are war movies. That tone change is directly related to the source material which TTT and ROTK capture the essence of beautifully.

I still marvel at the amazing images from this trilogy many of which could make beautiful prints to hang on a wall for display.

Fred Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
FOTR is also my favorite of the 3 with ROTK coming in a CLOSE second. The thing that captures me and ultimately wins me over is the magical aspect of it. As the Fellowship break and enter into the world of man, there's less and less to do with the elves so subsequently there's less magic. With ROTK we kinda get some of that back with the world of Mordor and Gondor(even though it's man's ultimate city). Who am I kidding though, they're all great!!

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Very great point Fred. I felt the same way reading the books as well, that change in tone between "Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Two Towers".

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Mike, LOTR takes first place for me and your love of the cartoon is shared by a very small group from what I can discern.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Why am I dragging this thread out of it's well-deserved rest?
Would a November 22nd COMPLETE SCORE release fit the bill?
What does complete score mean?
3 CD's = 180 minutes of music
1 DVD = complete score in 5.1
Extensive Liner Notes
See here!
Thanks to Dan Brecher for bringing this to attention at one of his favorite haunts. Here are some details:
The complete Oscar and Grammy winning score to "The Fellowship of the Ring," from the epic film trilogy "The Lord of the Rings," will be available in a deluxe four-disc edition from Reprise/WMG Soundtracks on November 22nd, 2005.
This historic release contains over 180 minutes of music on three CDs, comprising the full score of the 2001 film, composed by Howard Shore. "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Complete Recordings" marks the first edition of the three complete recording releases of the film trilogy whose score has been honored with three Academy Awards, four Grammy Awards, and two Golden Globe Awards. This deluxe set also includes exclusive new artwork, packaging, and extensive liner notes culled from "The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films," to be published in 2006. Enya's song "May It Be," which received an Oscar nomination for Best Original Song and which she performed at the Academy Awards ceremony, is contained on "The Complete Recordings" within all-new selection titles that reflect the complete score being released in its entirety for the first time.
Says "The Lord of the Rings" director, Peter Jackson, "No matter how many great performances or exciting visuals we put together for the movie, we found that it was all somewhat two dimensional until we added the emotional heart of Howard Shore's music. Then, and only then, did the film come to life."
Added Paul Broucek, Executive Vice President of Music at New Line Cinema, "Listening to the breathtaking music Howard Shore created is like seeing the movie time and time again. You just close your eyes, open your ears and the whole film unfolds before you. Howard's work is incredibly visual, evocative and narrative."
Composed for symphony orchestra and three separate choirs, "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Complete Recordings" highlights two original compositions by the multi-platinum Irish recording artist, Enya, including "Aníron (Theme for Aragorn and Arwen)" and "May It Be." Also featured in the score are solo performances by Elizabeth Fraser, Edward Ross, Mabel Faletolu as well as cast members Ian Holm, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan.
The fourth disc will present "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Complete Recordings" in 5.1 Surround Sound in DVD format. The set will also include exclusive new artwork, packaging, and extensive liner notes: "The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films -- Part I: The Fellowship of the Ring" by author Doug Adams.
Great, great news for LOTR fans and soundtrack fans!
Take care,
Chuck

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Sweet.

Will the music be played exactly as heard in the movie? In other words, are those CDs the equivalent of a music only soundtrack?

--

H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks