What's new

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) (1 Viewer)

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I am the only one who associates LOTR (especially FOTR) with winter, or cold weather in general?
I do to, but that's largely because I can still vividly remember freezing my ass off three Decembers in a row waiting outside the Uptown theater in D.C. to see the film on opening night. Brrrr....

...But worth it.

--Jefferson Morris

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
A few things from Doug Adams on another board:

He "guesses" that it will be around 60 dollars.

There will be no super 10 plus disc releaes of the scores. This stand alone one will be complemented by TTT and ROTK.

The next two should come within a year.

And his book will come out in between these releases.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just listened to your mp3 Robert A. Good stuff. Gave me goose bumps. Yes, that was a GREAT trailer. I love the trailer that they put on the FOTR-EE at the end of disc 2. I believe this is the one they attached to the film in the spring of 2002? Great music. Great trilogy. Great filmmaking.

Checked Amazon and there's no listing yet. Guess I should be a little more patient. :b

Kami

Screenwriter
Whoa...
Back from the dead. Hard to believe this thread has been going for about 4 years.
Out of curiosity I went back to find my first post in this thread and it was on page 2:
I absolutely cannot wait anymore!!!! My showing starts in exactly 4 hours. I am totally stoked!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be sure to post my review later tonight, or shall I say early tomorrow morning.
I really had no idea what I was in for :) I'm still sad that all the waiting is over, that was almost half the fun. I don't think I'll ever feel the same way about a film again.
Anyway back to the soundtrack... that's great news!! I don't find much time anymore to get here but I'm glad I caught this.
Cheers, fellow LOTR fans. :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Since we're reminiscing :D
I had ticket for Tue 18th @ 12:20AM from moviefone. When I arrived at the theater last night I was told that actually meant WEDNESDAY 12:20AM :angry: :angry:
Since I also have tickets for Wed 3PM, I won't bother with the midnight show. So 24Hrs to go for me.
Hard to believe I waited until 3PM on release date to see this thing. WTF was I thinking...
--
H

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
In recollection, the long version at the link certainly indicates the release is the EE m,usic. It mentioned singing by Viggo (the added scene of him singing at the campfire - Lay of Luthein), and Dom/Billy (Green Dragon). So I am certain these are the EE's. I should have remembered that before.

Ron, Into the West won't be on this release...this is FOTR:EE only. TTT will follow next year with ROTK soon thereafter. May it Be will certainly be on it.

$60 isn't so bad. Cheaper online or week of release.

V/R,

Chuck

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Claire, I've seen some tv ads for the exhibition, but didn't know about the trilogy being shown on IMAX. I'm interested, but don't know what time is best for me to come up. Are these special DMR prints or normal 35mm? I don't recall LOTR ever being made into DMR prints (as opposed to Batman Begins, AOTC, Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions, etc.); if they are, I guess I'll have to throw down the money and see them.

BradWOO

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a Q and A about some additional details on the FOTR soundtrack set
Update from Doug at the moviemusic.com forums:
Quote:
Hi everyone,
Wow, first, I hope no one here feels the need to apologize for his/her enthusiasm! I promise you, I share your eagerness and am more than happy to shed a little light where I am allowed. Actually, I should thank you for resisting the urge to assemble a pitchfork and torch brigade and storm my house for the number of times I’ve told you, “Hold on, I’ll tell you more later!” You guys are great, and should I ever pass through your towns, I owe each of you the soft/hard drink of your choice.
Anyway, let me take a swing at some of these:
>>>It would be interesting to know if the music on the DVD will be presented in a special way; you know, with music videos or something like that.
I have to tell you that this move was kind of surprising for me. I always thought there would be some kind of featurette on that DVD.
And when the 9 disc set rumor was still floating around, I thought that maybe the LOTR Symphony would be on it.>>>
Well, keep in mind that there are two more packages yet to be released, so you still have any number of goodies coming your way.
>>>Now that you brought up Star Wars, is there any special presentation of the music? Howard Shore said that for TTT and ROTK instead of writing cues, he wrote much larger pieces between 10 and 15 minutes. Will they be presented as such or are they broken down into smaller cues?>>>
Music in TTT and ROTK was written in longer blocks because each individual piece would include the tempo changes and sometimes silence that chopped up the FOTR compositions. In other words, if Shore wrote 7 minutes of music for FOTR he would likely title it as 3 (or so) separate pieces that would be recorded separately then edited together in the mixing. For ROTK he decided to leave the entire composition under one title, but would still record sections separately and edit them back together. (This is a common recording practice and is also used for a lot of concert works.) So basically, the only major difference was in how Shore conceptualized his writing process.
All this said, the tracks on the FOTR set are representative of the musical breaks. Tracks end where silence occurs, which means they’re mostly on the lengthier side. I won’t tell you the exact breakdown, but it looks like there will be over 30 tracks split between the three discs. Personally, I think it’s great. This is not a sound-bite type of score. The beauty of the composition is in its shape and flow.
Besides, as someone who spends a lot of time with his trusty iPod, I can tell you I’m thrilled to not have tiny hiccups in the sounds every 45 seconds as it switches tracks!
As for the DVD questions, I’m afraid I can’t be too helpful with that one. I’d heard Dolby Digital 5.1 at 24-bits, but honestly, I’m not positive that’s right.
>>>And by that, I mean neither The Prophecy, nor the film version, but the one that you can already fragmentarily hear during the PreViz of the prologue on the FOTR EE.
It has an extended version of that string motiv, which plays when Elendil falls, and alternate versions of the Ringwraiths theme and the History of the Ring theme.>>>
I just answered an email about this, as a matter of fact. The music you hear here is not an alternate version of the Prologue. The previz sequence on the DVD has been scored with music edited together from all around the film. Yes, you may indeed hear music that you don’t yet recognize, but it’s not from an unused Prologue. This music will be included on the boxed set, fear not, but in its proper place. What that place is, I can’t say just yet. (Yup, here we go again! )
>>>Given what the LOTR scores sound like in the films, I would think that the tracks would be the lengths of cues, which wouldn't be so bad.>>>
This is pretty much dead on. And don’t worry, it’s quite easy to navigate to favorite moments. Heck, I’ve been doing it while typing just to answer a few of these questions.
>>>Doug, any idea when we can see pictures of this release, packaging, disc art, etc? Track listings? Streaming samples? Is it a good chance that soundtrack.net will have a first listen like they did with the OSTs? Only 8 weeks to go!>>>
The Warners Art Department has been working overtime the past two weeks to get the packaging nailed down. Everything is near to its final form now, so I wouldn’t be surprised if you started to see promo shots in the near future. It’s funny, I never realized how important this aspect was to people until I started getting email after email asking, “Will it be cardboard?” “Will it be a long box or a short box?” “What will the artwork look like?” But the great news is, this curiosity is going to be rewarded in spades – the packaging is classically Tolkien-esque. I don’t know when it will be revealed, or when (or if) you’ll start to hear clips, but I’d keep my browser hovering over www.lordoftherings-soundtrack.com if I were a betting man.
>>>Back in the days when it was said that a 9 disc set was in the works that there would be a disc containing unused or alternative tracks? I think Peter Jackson himself might have commented on this but don’t quote me on that.
I was wondering if this was still going ahead now that each score is to be released separately and if so, is the 3rd disc on this set possibly dedicated to unused/alternative tracks for FOTR. I was also thinking that this could also get round the issue of the music that was altered between TE and EE versions of the film.
While 3 discs for the complete scores for TTT and ROTK seem realistic, I can't quite imagine FOTR filling 3 whole discs. Anyway, was just a thought! >>>
Fellowship does indeed fill all 3 discs. As I’ve hinted at above, you will hear a bit of unreleased music on this set, but most of what was written for the first film actually ended up in the film. In fact, most of the alternate versions of the compositions were released on the original soundtrack CD. (An added trumpet line here, and added horn solo there… nothing too severe.) The “rarities” will become more prominent in TTT and ROTK, but we’ll just have to wait and see how those are handled. I think it’s safe to guess that we can expect to see each successive release expand on the previous in terms of its scale.
>>>One question for Doug: You mentioned that you have been asked to keep the content of the liner notes to a certain amount; does this mean that the liner notes will be different from the text in your book? From the press release it seems that the liner notes are taken directly from the book:
extensive liner notes culled from "The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films," to be published in 2006>>>
Wedge’s explanation is right about this. This was this summer’s project for me – I basically had to take the full text of the book, divide it into thirds then whittle it down to a reasonable page count without losing any material. That’s not easy! I’m not embarrassed to admit that it took a few tries before it came out just right, but again this is why I can’t say enough kind words about Howard and his staff who offered me criticism and support in equal measure until we had everything nailed.
So yes, the liners are an adaptation of the book. Will the book still offer something that makes it a worthwhile standalone project? Yes, I think so. But on the other hand, I don’t think the notes are lacking anything either. As I’ve learned, a lot of this adaptation process involves the physical appearance of things – layouts, graphics, etc. I think we’ve found some tremendously creative ways to get all the material to you, but I’ll see what you think is a couple of months.
So there’s today’s update!
-Doug

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Craig,

They are. I amended that a few days ago, based on the press release. It confirmed that some of the cues (therefore, I'd assume ALL) are EE cues.

Take care,

Chuck

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
From Doug Adams via Dan Brecher at LCVG (who is the go-to on such things):

Also, the release date is now Dec. 6th (same day as KK soundtrack). Some e-tailers have a $60 pre-order fee. A pittance for the material, I think.

Here is the tracklisting, which has been confirmed by Doug Adams:

Disc One

1 Prologue: One Ring To Rule Them All

2 The Shire

3 Bag End

4 Very Old Friends

5 Flaming Red Hair

6 Farewell Dear Bilbo

7 Keep It Secret, Keep It Safe

8 A Conspiracy Unmasked

9 Three Is Company

10 The Passing Of The Elves

11 Saruman The White

12 A Shortcut To Mushrooms

13 Strider

14 The Nazgûl

Disc Two

1 Weathertop

2 The Caverns Of Isengard

3 Give Up The Halfling

4 Orthanc

5. Rivendell

6 The Sword That Was Broken

7 The Council Assembles

8 The Great Eye

9 Gilraen's Memorial

10 The Pass Of Caradhras

11 The Doors Of Durin

12 Moria

13 Gollum

14 Balin's Tomb

Disc Three

1 Khazad-dûm

2 Caras Galadhon

3 The Mirror Of Galadriel

4 The Fighting Uruk-hai

5 Parth Galen

6 The Departure Of Boromir

7 The Road Goes Ever On…

'Flaming Red Hair' is the source music from Bilbo's Birthday celebrations, written and performed by Plan 9. Nice to see some of the non-Shore material included.

As you can see from the way the cues are set out, the majority of tracks are going to be long, but the structure is ideally suited to the intention of delivering the story thematically in music. Doug gave an example of how one of the tracks is made up and said: "The “Leaving Lothórien” sequence is actually in track 4 “The Fighting Uruk-Hai.” The track goes all the way up through the Argonath passage, until the Fellowship arrives at Parth Galen."

Daniel

Thanks to Dan,

Chuck

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Thanks for posting that Chuck and Dan thanks for the blurb about the Flaming Red Hair track - that one mystified me when I read the listing.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks for posting that Chuck. As much as alot of us love soundtracks...this one for sure...$60 seems like a great investment. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks