What's new

3D The joy of anaglyph 3D. (1 Viewer)

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Does anybody remember an old, early days interwebs site called, The underground3Dmovies dot com? It's totally defunct now. Bootlegs? Of course...Because there really were no other sources for 3D DVDs around in the 90's. But back in the day that was a big source for anaglyph 3D movies...And that site had a ton. Sadly, many of the dubs were very inferior due to the fact (as Mr. Furmanek will attest to), it all comes down to the source material. But to a 3D buff like myself, it was one of the only go-to places one could find.

I dropped some coin on that site. At the time, it was the only place you could get the Three Stooges in 3D. Or, Amityville Horror. Or The French Line, Jaws 3, Friday The 13th, Flesh For Frankenstein, Treasure of The Four Crowns, Star Chaser, and Metalstorm. At one time they even had the Disney experience - Captain EO. I bought just about everything they had. But there was one movie I always wanted and even that site didn't have; Dean & Jerry in, Money From Home.

I still have a few of those DVDs. I loved them at the time, and a lot of friends came over to watch a 3D movie on my 48" RCA rear screen projector. Nobody complained about the quality because it was, 3D! We had a ball. After the rebirth of 3D post Avitar, I simply threw most of them out. But I still have a few to this day among my 250 plus collection of 3D blu-rays. I always wondered who ran it, how they got all the 3D flicks, and whatever happened to that site. Maybe with the advent of 3D again in 2009, it simply became obsolete.

Attachments

• 20210417_014548[1].jpg
    20210417_014548[1].jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 183

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Since this post is about "The joy of anaglyph", I thought for sure Mr. Furmaneck might have chimed in here to tout about the 3D Films Archive new anaglyph process that apparently is rather impressive - so I've read. I got Dynasty and Silent Madness, but due to an extensive remodel my theater room has been down so I haven't been able to explore the discs. I've seen neither. I do have a digital 3D projector, but am aware of this new proprietary process by 3DFA called Adaptive Multi-band Anaglyph Encoding - of which both those discs feature. I've shared a number of vintage anaglyph dvds & blu's to friends to excite them a bit about 3D, but now everybody is accustomed to HD so they mostly complain about the deficiencies of anaglyph that we're all aware of. Clearly, the market is drying up and aging. But if indeed there is a new process of anaglyph that is easier on the eyes and mind, with no additional equipment needed, this sounds fascinating and could expand the base and market for 3D. I might even purchase as gifts if I knew a little bit more. Maybe somebody could share a revew or two of this new process.

Last edited:

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
But there is an anaglyph version on the disc to which I'm referring to.
Yes but it's not worth the effort. However you slice it, anaglyphs, with the honourable exceptions previously noted, are never going to be much good.

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Yes but it's not worth the effort. However you slice it, anaglyphs, with the honourable exceptions previously noted, are never going to be much good.
Did you actually watch the anaglyph versions I'm talking about? You're talking generalities here, and I specifically asked for info on this new process from 3DFA featured on the two movies recently released. There is a few reviews out there and they all pretty much rave positively about this new process. I'd like to know what people in the forum think. Maybe it isn't great, I don't know. Bob hasn't said anything.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I watched the anaglyph of "Silent Madness" and it's no better than most other colour anaglyphs.
At least it's not ColorCode.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Our unique and proprietary anaglyphic viewing method is a vast improvement. You can buy DYNASTY with confidence and share with your friends, family, neighbors and business associates.

3DFA_ADAPTIVE_MULTIBAND.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks