What's new

3D The joy of anaglyph 3D. (1 Viewer)

whyme?

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael mcgee
I know I was told not to promote bootleg material and I'm not,but anaglyph 3D is in many of the official Blu - ray and DVD' s. Titles like night of the living dead 3D, in Denmark and dual polaroid and anaglyph version is sold on blu- ray, Scars, alternate forms of My bloody valentine , Friday the 13th part 3 ,both Blu- Ray and DVD. This for those 3D fans who don't have a 3D home video set up
The worst anaglyph process involves Red left - green right being viewed with blue- right ,red left glasses cause the green distorts the color and tints of the film ,too greenish. The movie Scars for example ,since the print is unsharp and the color muddy ,add this anaglyph and it's terrible. When you have right image blue tint and red image left with the same glasses the tints and tones of color cinema photography is less distorted. Color code distorts the tints ,tones way,way less. When kino lorber and flicker alley began to put out restored Blu - ray 3D classics they should have include an anaglyph versions for those who did not have Polaroid 3D set up's. This would have increase the 3D home video audience in seeing a 3D classic the way it was meant to be seen ,even though it's not perfect like polaroid. Next year the first dual 3d biu- ray film of the silver age ,Dynasty is being put out next year on home video .This means a larger audience will see it in 3D Although polaroid is the best, the better anaglyph is a good alternate.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Black and white anaglyphs look reasonable in the cinema but everywhere else, in colour or not, they're awful.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
This would have increase the 3D home video audience in seeing a 3D classic the way it was meant to be seen ,even though it's not perfect like polaroid.

3D in the 50s was polarized not anaglyphic so it wasn't meant to be seen as such. See the 3D Film Archive and myths about 3D.

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Polar Express, Journey To The Center of The Earth, Coraline, House of Wax, Creature, Alice in Wonderland, all look quite impressive in anaglyph.

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I'm curious to see the anaglyph versions of Silent Madness and Dynasty. I probably won't sit through an entire film that way, but I'd like to see what Greg Kintz and company can do with the format. My previous exposure has been the Rhino Comin' at Ya! and the anaglyph blu-ray of Friday the 13th Part 3. Pretty poor in both instances.

Fingers crossed and knocking on wood that my 3-D TV hangs in there for a long time.

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Surely the colours (apart from Creature) must be messed up?

Sorry for the delay getting back, Stephen

They're not perfect, but they are pretty darn good. As pinknik mentioned above, there are some really bad anaglyph, as I know you're well aware. But the ones I mentioned I own, and thinking in comparison to some of the really poor anaglyph discs I got (like, Friday the 13th), they look rather impressive. The basic blue / red processes are the harshest on the minds eye. But in the old black & white flicks like Creature and The Mask that have been remastered for DVD, they work pretty good. Red / cyan processed flicks are considerably better like Bob's Big Break, Shrek 3D and Polar Express on DVD (Polar avail in blu-ray as well) look really, pretty good. Maybe Polar Express being a lesser of them but only because the movie is produced kinda blurry anyway - but still fun to watch. Especially on a good HDTV. Now the Trioscopic green-magenta anaglyph process on flicks like Journey To The Center of The Earth, Alice in Wonderland and Coraline are flat out splendid. They're not digital 3D splendid...But splendid nonetheless. Let's say you know somebody who doesn't have a digital 3D system. I wouldn't hesitate giving any of those anaglyph discs as a novelty gift just to kinda turn them on to 3D. Second hand they're all rather cheap on eBay now.

More on the specifics of anaglyph here;

Attachments

• red-blue.jpg
    red-blue.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 270
  • red-cyan.jpg
    red-cyan.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 235
  • Trioscopic.jpg
    Trioscopic.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Now here's something for all the anaglyph naysayers, as long as they got an old pair of red/blue or red/cyan glasses lying around. Wanna have some fun?

You can take any photo you have and turn it instantly into 3D in a matter of seconds. Simply upload your photo here.

Last edited:

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Wanna have some MORE fun?

You can turn ANY movie or TV show into 3D for around $5 bucks. But here's the catch; Whatever it is that you're watching, has to have considerable movement or action moving across the screen from left to right, or right to left, and the bigger your screen the better. It's especially FANTASTIC for football games in HD. it's called the, Pulfrich Effect. I'm not going to go into exactly how the process works other than to say it tricks your minds eye, and it flat-out works and it's veeeery cool. You can have a better understanding of Pulfrich by simply going to Wiki and read a few paragrahs on the effect. The Pulfrich glasses can be purchased individually on eBay for about 5 bucks or so. Of you can get a discount ordering in bulks of 10, 20, etc from rainbow symphony dot com, or ultimate 3D heaven dot com.

Now, back in 1990 when FOX TV was starting out, they broadcast a Rolling Stone concert with an added special bonus toward the end that was a 15 minute segment broadcast in 3D. They used Pulfrich glasses to get the 3D effect, and glasses were picked up at your local 7-11 stores. The video footage was NOT shot with 3D cameras. The producers simply used a lot of moving subjects, props, and camera action from left to right, and right to left. I recorded that broadcast, have it on VHS, and transfered it to DVD. It is freaking AWESOME. So again, it's simply the Pulfrich effect . And anybody can have 3D on any TV for a few bucks. Or even, for free! If you have a cheap pair of sunglasses, simply pop out the right lens. Now you got 3D TV. Yippie!

Attachments

• pulfrich.jpg
    pulfrich.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 215
  • rolling.jpg
    rolling.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 208
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
The absolute worst anaglyph system is ColorCode which uses purple and amber lenses plus a lot of wishful thinking. It seems designed to put people off 3D.
Channel 4 in the UK showed "Friday the 13th 3 3D" and "Flesh for Frankenstein" in ColorCode several years ago and they were barely watchable.
The Pulfrich effect works but after a few giddiness-inducing minutes I find myself wishing it would just stop.
Anaglyphs are fun in print ads and comics but promoting them on screen makes flogging a dead horse look like a sensible idea.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Black and white anaglyphs look reasonable in the cinema but everywhere else, in colour or not, they're awful.

I owned the two Stooges shorts and a digest print of THE MAD MAGICIAN on 8mm silent prints, and because I had never to that time seen any kind of 3D in theaters, the anaglyph experience thrilled me. I compare the Stooges films Polaroid vs. anaglyph now on the TT Blu-ray, and the difference is night and day. I will never buy another non-Polaroid 3D title again. Anyone need extra pairs of red/blue glasses? :3dglasses:

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I owned the two Stooges shorts and a digest print of THE MAD MAGICIAN on 8mm silent prints, and because I had never to that time seen any kind of 3D in theaters, the anaglyph experience thrilled me. I compare the Stooges films Polaroid vs. anaglyph now on the TT Blu-ray, and the difference is night and day. I will never buy another non-Polaroid 3D title again. Anyone need extra pairs of red/blue glasses? :3dglasses:

The anaglyphs of "It Came from Outer Space" and "Revenge of the Creature" were perfectly watchable on the big screen (at least, they were in 1981). Who knows what condition they're in now.
They were the only option just before the 80s 3D stampede.
Sometime later I also saw a very impressive anaglyph of "We Are Born of Stars" in IMAX.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The anaglyphs of "It Came from Outer Space" and "Revenge of the Creature" were perfectly watchable on the big screen (at least, they were in 1981). Who knows what condition they're in now.
Sometime later I also saw a very impressive anaglyph of "We Are Born of Stars" in IMAX.
I concur that Anaglyph tends to look better on a larger screen and projected. I ran anaglyph prints of Spy Kids: Game Over and The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl back in 2003-04 and the results on a big screen were far superior to how they ended up looking on DVD.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I concur that Anaglyph tends to look better on a larger screen and projected. I ran anaglyph prints of Spy Kids: Game Over and The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl back in 2003-04 and the results on a big screen were far superior to how they ended up looking on DVD.
For some reason the anaglyph Spy Kids 3D looked awful on an analogue widescreen TV but much better on a modern digital flatscreen.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just compared FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 3 3D anaglyph with the real thing...apples to oranges. :thumbsdown:

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I saw both Jack Arnolds in anaglyph prints in the early Nineties in the Twin Cites and they both still looked pretty good. As good as anaglyph can, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks