What's new

The Iron Giant returns to theaters with remastered new scenes (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
DIRECTOR BRAD BIRD’S CLASSIC
ANIMATED FAMILY FILM
THE IRON GIANT:
SIGNATURE EDITION
COMES BACK TO THEATERS FROM
WARNER BROS. AND FATHOM EVENTS
REMASTERED WITH NEW SCENES
See the Special Event Screening on September 30
Encore to Follow on October 4

Burbank, CA, July 8, 2015 – Warner Bros. Pictures is proud to announce that the animated action adventure “The Iron Giant” will be re-released this fall, remastered and enhanced with two all-new scenes as “The Iron Giant: Signature Edition.” It will be released in theaters for a limited engagement through Fathom Events. “The Iron Giant: Signature Edition” arrives to theaters for a special event screening on Wednesday, September 30 at 7:00PM local time, with an encore event in select markets on Sunday, October 4 at 12:00PM local time.

The ticket on-sale date and theater locations for “The Iron Giant: Signature Edition” will be announced this August online atwww.FathomEvents.com. The event will be presented in select movie theaters around the country through Fathom’s Digital Broadcast Network.

When “The Iron Giant” arrived in theaters, it was hailed as an “instant classic” (Joe Morgenstern, The Wall Street Journal). “Imagine E.T. as a towering metal man, that’s the appeal of this enchanting animated feature” (Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times). And the world soon learned another “giant” had arrived as well: filmmaker Brad Bird, who made his stunning directorial debut with this film and has gone on to win two Oscars, as well as worldwide acclaim for his work on both animated and live-action features.

Winner of nine Annie Awards, “The Iron Giant” is the tale of an unlikely friendship between a rebellious boy named Hogarth (voiced by Eli Marienthal) and a giant robot, voiced by a then little-known actor named Vin Diesel. The voice cast also included Jennifer Aniston and Harry Connick Jr.

The film was produced by Allison Abbate and Des McAnuff from a screenplay written by Tim McCanlies. Adapted from poet Ted Hughes’ book, The Iron Man, “The Iron Giant” was first released in the summer of 1999 by Warner Bros.

Following the re-release of the film in theaters, a high-definition version of “The Iron Giant: Signature Edition” will be available to purchase from digital retailers in the fall of 2015.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Ronald Epstein said:
Following the re-release of the film in theaters, a high-definition version of “The Iron Giant: Signature Edition” will be available to purchase from digital retailers in the fall of 2015.

But no Blu-ray? :(

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just watched it with in my HT in SD upscaled with my granddaughters...they loved it, I fell asleep. I've seen it so many times, I would love to see it in BD...but, not until it has been reviewed. I have a great HT setup, and the SD upscaled looks great.

Not believing that BS about just because it's been restored means it looks better on a HT setup!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Bill Hunt is reporting at his site that the Blu-ray of this title will be released, complete with a statue of the Robot:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/070815_1100

So this is *definitely* an oversight with the press release.

(Thank Goodness!! Following The Simpsons fiasco, and the ongoing Disney 3D Blu fiasco, things are getting a little on the paranoid side for us Blu-ray fans!)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
There are already Blu-ray pre-orders up for Germany and Spain, so it's a pretty safe bet that there will be a domestic release as well.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Joseph Bolus said:
Bill Hunt is reporting at his site that the Blu-ray of this title will be released, complete with a statue of the Robot:

(Thank Goodness!! Following The Simpsons fiasco, and the ongoing Disney 3D Blu fiasco, things are getting a little on the paranoid side for us Blu-ray fans!)

What Simpsons fiasco?

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I recall seeing this film during the summer of 1999. Everyone else was seeing "Star Wars", LOL. I loved it then so not sure why they are adding deleted scenes?

When a movie is great in its theatrical release, usually it's because good decisions were made in the editing room at the time. I can think of a couple of exceptions (Dances With Wolves is best in its 4-hour version), but most films that give us deleted scenes are diminished by them (see Apocalypse Now, for starters).

Not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I wish WB had just released the OG version.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Joseph Bolus said:

That column calls the statue "massive" which makes no sense. Are they going to package it with a large, cheap toy, and therefore make it way to expensive? Hope they release a disc only version.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Joseph Bolus said:
Edwin,

This link elaborates on the Travis' reply (Have you been off the board for awhile?)

http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/10/8382545/the-simpsons-dvd-releases-ending-blu-ray-fox

Thanks for the link. I may have been off it for a while when this news came out. I was out of town for a couple of months.

TravisR said:
A few months ago, Fox announced that they'll stop releasing the DVDs and Blu-rays of The Simpsons in favor making the commentaries available exclusively on the Simpsons World website.

Thanks. It's nothing more than I would expect from a company that cancelled "Futurama" and "Firefly".

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Johnny Angell said:
That column calls the statue "massive" which makes no sense. Are they going to package it with a large, cheap toy, and therefore make it way to expensive? Hope they release a disc only version.

Bill's wording in the linked Bits' item is more than a little awkward. The "massive statue" he's referring to is a real statue they've put up at ComicCon, NOT to a pack-in with the Blu-ray release. You can see a pic on Bird's Twitter feed.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
A blu-ray of this movie is long overdue. That it will come with additional scenes is just a bonus.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So, I cant wait for the studio to screw up the marketing again. Man, those were some of the worst trailers I ever saw. . . .

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I loved this movie.

In the climax when the Iron Giant hears Hogarth's voice in his head "You are who you choose to be" and the Giant says in his moment of sacrifice "Superman" always got me all misty. It still does thinking about it just now, and its a concept I've always tried to carry with me.

Looking forward to revisiting this.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Pete Townshend was a big reason this movie was made.
He was a fan of the author of the children's book

this is based on and recorded a solo record based on it too.

That album is essentially the last Who record as far as I'm concerned.

And has 2 songs billed as who songs.

Iron Giant is one of my 10 favorite movies.
My wife and I may have been the only people in the theater watching it.

[SIZE=13.3333330154419px]Really looking forward to seeing this again at the movies.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.3333330154419px]​I really hope it isnt a satellite feed.. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.3333330154419px]The Fathom event I saw a couple years ago was barely dvd quality.[/SIZE][SIZE=13.3333330154419px] [/SIZE]

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Townshend's album came out in '89, and contained two songs by the Who (who spent a good portion of that year touring together). The other songs were definitely solo works by Pete, and yet other songs were performed by the likes of John Lee Hooker and Nina Simone. It was called The Iron Man: A Musical. Definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks