What's new

The Godfather/The Godfather Part II sound mixes (1 Viewer)

Briton

Auditioning
Real Name
Briton
Off-Topic since this is about theatrical experiences rather than home video...
It's my understanding that both of these films were originally released in mono.
A few months ago, I saw the new 4K restoration of The Godfather. I paid a premium to see it at the Lincoln Square Dolby theater in Manhattan. I didn't care for the sound mix at all. To my ears it sounded like everything was in mono, except the music, and the music had very aggressive surrounds. It constantly pulled me out of the film. It sounded like they took a movie with a perfectly good mono sound mix and then seated the string section directly behind me. (Visually the film was perfection, and my date's squeal of horror/delight when she realized where the blood on the bedsheets was coming from, made the evening well worth the price of admission.)

Today, I saw The Godfather Part II at my local Alamo Drafthouse. The stereo sound mix was fantastic. All the dialog and sound effects were coming from where they should, the music was properly mixed, the surrounds were used appropriately (mostly during the Havana riots.) I couldn't believe how much better this presentation was, sound-wise. (My date's favorite moment from this one was "I don't feel I have to wipe everybody out, Tom. Just my enemies." I should probably start treating her better.)

I realize this is 2 different theaters, and I have no idea which "restoration" the Alamo had for Part 2, but the contrast between the sound mixes really struck me.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-11 001125.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-11 001125.png
    944.1 KB · Views: 48

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks