What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
it makes no difference because without fault you always praise the latest release as accurate. What "restorers" do to films would be banned if it was any other artform, it would be deemed destructive and unprofessional. How can you praise and they sell a disc and call it "Cinderella" or any other movie when it looks nothing like it used to?
There is no need for anybody to respond to the above post. We have turned the page!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
it makes no difference because without fault you always praise the latest release as accurate. What "restorers" do to films would be banned if it was any other artform, it would be deemed destructive and unprofessional. How can you praise and they sell a disc and call it "Cinderella" or any other movie when it looks nothing like it used to?
You might have me confused with another reviewer.

When was the last time you screened a 35mm nitrate reference print of Cinderella, on what viewing surface and via what light source?

You seem to know something that I don’t.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Why must software that mimics film be used when these were analog films?? doesn't make any sense. The public has no idea that what they are watching is far removed from the original film elements. None of this would be accepted if it was ANY other artform. What is done to classic films during "restoration" would be considered destructive and revisionist if it was any other art form.

No idea what you even mean - are you suggesting we all demand newly struck IBTech prints instead?
In any case this is nothing that applies only to Cinderella but to releases of all movies shot on film so it will be best to start a new thread about it where maybe you can also suggest what should be done instead. This isn't the place though for this discussion.

Back to Cinderella on UHD we now have colors that look more differentiated and less overdone, textures thought to be lost and there is also additional detail - what's not to like?

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Because the image captured on actual motion picture film has an inherent resolution that meets or exceeds 4k. https://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/35801/what-is-the-resolution-of-35mm-film
Except that in this case, you're talking about an animated film where hand-drawn and inked artwork was photographed on 35mm film. What matters is the level of detail in the artwork itself. And there's rarely 4K worth of detail to be had in this case. Now, as I argued previously, the media on which the artwork was drawn/inked does sometimes offer resolution that benefits from 4K, but you do have to get closer than normal viewing distances in order to perceive it.

Besides, it's completely untrue that there's an inherent resolution to 35mm film that meets our exceeds 4K. It all depends on the film stocks, lenses, filters, and many other factors. There isn't a one-to-one correspondence anyway between the resolving capacity of film and digital resolution measurements, but there's definitely no one size fits all answer to how well that any given film might resolve. It also varies from shot to shot. It always depends.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Back to Cinderella on UHD we now have colors that look more differentiated and less overdone, textures thought to be lost and there is also additional detail - what's not to like?
In the immortal words of SpongeBob,
season 7 buried in time GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

(Sorry, couldn't find the Raiders gif that I was looking for.)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have no idea how accurate the color is to the original film elements. But I am beyond happy with this transfer on 4K bluray! I have never seen this movie look this good IMHO. I can only hope we get more classic disney on 4K bluray.

Cinderella 4K Bluray.jpg

Here is to the following to make 4K Bluray:

• Peter Pan (1953)
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (1937)
  • Pinocchio (1940)
  • Dumbo (1941)
  • Bambi (1942)
  • Alice In Wonderland (1951)
  • Lady And The Tramp (1955)
  • Sleeping Beauty (1959)

• Mary Poppins (1964)
  • The Jungle Book (1967)
  • Escape to Witch Mountain (1975)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I have no idea how accurate the color is to the original film elements. But I am beyond happy with this transfer on 4K bluray! I have never seen this movie look this good IMHO. I can only hope we get more classic disney on 4K bluray.

View attachment 192944

• Peter Pan (1953)
  • Pinocchio (1940)
  • Dumbo (1941)
  • Bambi (1942)
  • Sleeping Beauty (1959)

• Mary Poppins (1964)
  • The Jungle Book (1967)

Snow White is even now in the works and should be released in at least a few months. That said, I do share your hopes that the others will follow in similar fashion, especially Sleeping Beauty (which could really benefit from 4K due to its large format origins).

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill

View attachment 192944

• Peter Pan (1953)
  • Pinocchio (1940)
  • Dumbo (1941)
  • Bambi (1942)
  • Sleeping Beauty (1959)

• Mary Poppins (1964)
  • The Jungle Book (1967)
I would love to see Poppins given the full UHD treatment. I would add Darby O'Gill, which requires a full restoration.

Koro

Auditioning
Real Name
Iain
I would love to see Poppins given the full UHD treatment. I would add Darby O'Gill, which requires a full restoration.
Darby O'Gill is in HD on Disney+ and looks very good/stunning.
So am genuinely curious as to what needs to be restored?
Is the movie incomplete?

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Is the movie incomplete?

A number of people had issues with the color timing on the Blu-Ray, which admittedly looks a bit murky, for want of a better word, especially during daytime scenes. It’s speculated that the film’s elements suffered severe fading (this anomaly is described in detail on the restoration featurette included with the DVD of Pollyanna) and that it was not properly corrected.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Is the movie incomplete?
I have the Blu-ray, and the color especially leaves a lot to be desired. I suspect the film element used for the transfer was not the best.

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
A number of people had issues with the color timing on the Blu-Ray, which admittedly looks a bit murky, for want of a better word, especially during daytime scenes. It’s speculated that the film’s elements suffered severe fading (this anomaly is described in detail on the restoration featurette included with the DVD of Pollyanna) and that it was not properly corrected.
Agreed. I do not have Disney+ so have not seen that presentation of Darby O'Gill. My remark was specifically about the blu-ray which was poorly done.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Agreed. I do not have Disney+ so have not seen that presentation of Darby O'Gill. My remark was specifically about the blu-ray which was poorly done.

I think it’s pretty much the same as the Blu-ray, visually. But be forewarned should you ever watch that presentation, that Disney+ uses a redub that tones down the Irish accents and removes the film’s few smatterings of Gaelic.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I think it’s pretty much the same as the Blu-ray, visually. But be forewarned should you ever watch that presentation, that Disney+ uses a redub that tones down the Irish accents and removes the film’s few smatterings of Gaelic.
There were always a couple of versions of the film. Pity the lead couldn’t speak proper English. He might have gotten work.

In a way, reminds me of Sparrows Can’t Sing, which necessitated sub-titles of the English.

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
There were always a couple of versions of the film. Pity the lead couldn’t speak proper English. He might have gotten work.

In a way, reminds me of Sparrows Can’t Sing, which necessitated sub-titles of the English.
Albert Sharpe, who played Darby, deliberately spoke in a heavy Irish brogue dialect as befit the character. Connery said Sharpe was wonderful in the part. As to getting more work, Sharpe was a member of the Abbey Players, played Finian McLonergan in the original broadway production of Finian's Rainbow, and had roles in the films Odd Man Out, Portrait Of Jennie, Royal Wedding, Brigadoon, and The Day They Robbed The Bank Of England, with Peter O'Toole.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Albert Sharpe, who played Darby, deliberately spoke in a heavy Irish brogue dialect as befit the character. Connery said Sharpe was wonderful in the part. As to getting more work, Sharpe was a member of the Abbey Players, played Finian McLonergan in the original broadway production of Finian's Rainbow, and had roles in the films Odd Man Out, Portrait Of Jennie, Royal Wedding, Brigadoon, and The Day They Robbed The Bank Of England, with Peter O'Toole.
I was actually referring to the other guy. Everyone is aware of Mr. Sharpe’s CV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks