What's new

Testy Area 51 (4 Viewers)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Unfortunately the curves around here will lead you to fall off into a deep canyon if you are not careful. Is the same true for Marissa?
It depends on what your definition of "deep canyon" is.

Damnit Hal. I told you to quick playing with those control panels.
F**k off Dave.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
bogart.jpg

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The Snake River. Hell's Canyon forms a natural border between Idaho and Oregon.

The headwaters of the Snake are in Yellowstone NP, and the river flows past the Teton range prior to entering Idaho. The Snake meets the Columbia River near Pasco, Washington state.

Almost all the rivers in Idaho are tributaries of the Snake: the Boise, Payette, Owyhee, Big Wood, Salmon, and others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_River

To compare it with your Missouri River....flows at the mouth.
Missouri river 76,000 cubic feet per second
Snake river 57,000 cubic feet per second

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
That's just a "normal" Snake river canyon next to Twin Falls, about 100 miles SE of Boise.

I drove over the Snake twice today, on a drive out past Walter's Ferry.

I suppose for Area 51 completeness I should add the following flows.

Hudson 24,000 cubic feet per second
Rijn 70,000 cubic feet per second
Thames 2,000 cubic feet per second

Learn something new every day department: Reno is Italian for Rhine.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Oh dear the things searching turns up.
Legend has it that Amsterdam was founded by two fishermen looking to escape a storm in the Zuiderzee (South Sea). The story goes that their dog jumped ashore and threw up at the spot where the city later developed. No one knows for sure, of course, but older versions of the city’s emblem do sport two fishermen in a boat, along with a dog.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Evel Knievel's failure to reach the intended end of his little journey annoyed president Gerald Ford so much that he pardoned his predecessor ex-president Richard Nixon the same day.

There are several versions of that story of the two fishermen and their dog, who wrecked at the later location of Amsterdam. One says that it was a bishop from Utrecht, kicked off a Frisian place he visited, and a rower. More likely would be: just two fishermen.
We didn't have the dog's puke on that emblem.

Cees

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Crazy stunt men! The stupidest stunt I ever attempted was racing on the wrong side of the road in a burn up with another car, this was decades ago when I was young and completely reckless. I survived that event but got into minor crashes in other burn ups. I was always getting stopped by police for driving too fast, I was banned several times over a number of years and finally the judge told me if I get caught again it will be prison.

The last time I got caught the police were waiting outside my house, they knew I was driving whilst banned and they nabbed me the bastages, I ended up spending a night in a police cell. I remember the mattress and pillow stunk, it was so uncomfortable I couldn't sleep, in the middle of the night they brought in a big black dude locked him in the cell with me, I looked up and there he was standing perfectly still and staring at me not saying a word. A few minutes later the cell was opened and he was taken out. Next morning I was taken to court and tried to convince the judge that I needed the car for work. He told me if I was caught driving again I would receive a custodial sentence. I was given six months community service which I didn't do and somehow managed to get away with it. I had a good lawyer. And I was banned again. I was about 21 years old and didn't drive again until I was 24. I learnt my lesson.

a522x.jpg

That's me next to my beloved Ford Capri at a friends wedding. Fastest car I ever drove, 3 litre V6 engine. Front heavy, turning a corner in the rain was very tricky especially the way I was driving. A few passengers complained of a 'falling sensation' when I was driving. :D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well I'm still reckless (especially when posting online) ;) though not that much. I remember one time I overtook a car which was slowing down at a pedestrian crossing just missing the people who were crossing the road. A police car was coming the other way and that was my first ban. Just thinking about it now makes me mad.

I've started watching Sleepy Hollow, the TV series, anyone see this? It's had good reviews but seems quite similar to Supernatural.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Zen, Capri's were very popular here in the UK in the 70's and 80's, especially among young people. Didn't know they were sold in the US too. Come to think of it they did look vaguely American, like the classic Ford Mustang.

One more anecdote - in the car I had a special siren gizmo connected (named 'Hawaii 5-0' for some reason) with '81 different sounds' including the sound of a police siren and ambulance. It was totally illegal of course and I had to be careful when using it. There was a volume control so I could make it sound like a police car was coming from a distance, getting louder and louder, the cars in front of me would swerve to the side and I would drive straight past. I was a bad boy. [smiles wistfully]

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
IIRC those Capris had a 2.8l V6 and were assembled in Germany.

Ford later rebadged circa 1980 Mustangs as a Mercury Capri.

Then Ford circa 1990 made a FWD convertible sold as a Capri. Ford thought the Miata was going to fail and had the FWD Capri (assembled in Australia) as a replacement.

Ford was very much wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.