What's new
World Wide Stereo

SVS PB2-Plus Test and Review - Long (1 Viewer)

Arthur Vino

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question.. Since my pre/pro has a subwoofer filter, I should use it and disable for pb2-plus filter?
My manual says not to use both filters, since some frequencies might not be heard at all... And Crossover filter = phase control filter on pb2?
Thanks...

>Set-Up and Calibration:
>The MB300 subwoofer cable was connected to the left low >level input, and the PB2-Plus low pass filter switch was >set to "Disabled" to avoid filter cascading. After >experimentation, the phase control was set to 180 >degrees, as this provided the smoothest transition from >the mains.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Your PB2+ has the following:

A crossover (filter) control - rotary knob with Hz.
A crossover enable/disable switch.
A phase control - rotary knob with 0-180 degrees.

If you are using the bass management circuit in your pre/pro (recommended for HT), then usually you will:

1) Set all speakers to small.
2) Set the crossover frequency (in the pre/pro) to 80 Hz.
3) Set the PB2+ crossover disable switch to DISABLE.
4) Set the PB2+ phase to wherever it provides the smoothest transition from the mains.

If you cannot determine the best phase setting through testing, try it by ear, but you might not be able to hear a difference over that narrow transition bandwidth.

The reason you set the PB2+ switch to DISABLE is because you are ALREADY filtering at the pre/pro, and you don't want the PB2+ to filter the signal again (known as double filtering or filter cascading), which would probably cause a depression at the selected filter frequency.

Regards,

Ed

BrianRS

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Ed,
I'de love a copy of that organ CD if possible. I tried to get to the tree thread a couple weeks ago, but it was locked. I'll be happy to pay any expenses, I just want more cools stuff to try out on the new pb2+.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Ed- Somehow I missed this when you first posted (I think I thought it was the B4-plus).

Excellent review. I love the more or less flat freq response to 11 Hz. Can't wait for someone to do some distortion testing. :)

Arthur Vino

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Ed!
#1 through 3 was done a long time ago... And Yes, I did let my pre/pro manage the crossover (@80), etc..
About #4 - manual says to use a long bass tone and have a friend adjust the phase until u get the best SPL levels..
I'll try that soon..
Thank again..

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Ed- Sweet. I simply cannot avoid the feeling that this just might be the "end all end all" of subwoofers. For me, anyway. I am trying to avoid upgradeitis, but I don't know how long I can hold out. :)

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Hey Ed...where is this cd located? muhahaha...Gordon? I need something to give a good rip on my svs.. I think the biggest obstacle I've come across is my house..its new, well built ground up..and I'm afraid I'm gonna make some damage occur:) Wife clains that soon a big crack will happen if things don't simmer*smiles* at 12 below ref (far as I've gotten now) on lotr (+3 hot on sub) I've hit some major bass, and things shake to the extent that I'm afraid to give it more in my room:) One day I'll have a few beers, and give'er hell...Ed knows I will...we've had the Rs meter maxxed a few times..muhahaha...no signs of stress, and as Tom V, said in a email to me "measurements of 130 corrected are reasonable for the B4+...the amp will give out before the sub does" I thought of adding a crown 2500, but TV said you'd gain 1-2 db max headroom..I believe 2 b4+'s would be the way to go...Ed can comment, but I think its about 6 db's gain if both corner loaded in the same corner...adding 2 PB2's to it seems like a waste as your gains would be minimal especially at that spl level...Damage would be imminent...1 B4+ is enough...2 with 1500 watts bridged to each....too much for my 4500CF room:)

Come on ED...sell that pb2, and grab a B4+....we can all crank em up and jump orbit:) *lol* Hats always off to SVS....:emoji_thumbsup:

VinhT

Second Unit
If possible, I would like a copy of the CD too. The Sound and Vision thread is locked. I don't have one of the newer SVS subs, but my 25-31PC+ hasn't been getting much work this semester. Brian, if you manage to get a copy of the CD, I wouldn't mind driving up to northern Virginia to pick up a copy. Thanks!

KeithY

Stunt Coordinator
45 days has come and gone...can't believe how much this big
black box(PB2) has changed the sound of the HT! After many
moves aroung the room(my achin' back), I think found the
best location...no booms...no nulls...just massive amounts
of bass...

At 1st my wife couldn't stand it..."it just too big!" Now
in it's out of the way location she seems fine with it. The
1 thing I didn't think she would do was brag to friend and
neighbors about it...then she invites them over for me to
demo...who woulda thought...

Amazing how a simple black box can put such a big smile on everyones face:D

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll tell you what, guys. I already sent out my promised 5 sets of the CD in the S&V thread, but I will send out 2 more copies to the first 2 people who PM me here, so long as you send sets to at least 2 others in this thread. I'm putting that requirement because I saw a lot of people asking for CDs in the other thread and not many of them trying to pass them on, which was the whole idea. If you don't have the ability to make copies, don't ask me for one. BTW, this is a 2 disc set.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Good point, John. The whole concept is to spread the wealth and share the burden here. I made so many copies, I fragged my burner and I feel badly that the last few I mailed out had some pops and outright track failures.

FWIW, if you are looking for deep powerful organ bass, the Classical Church Organ disc is it. The Theatrical (ball park style) Organ disc has little deep bass at all, although it is quite entertaining. The PB2 and B4 subs need to be re-tuned with the port plugs to get the most from this disc. My favorite tune is 2/16 on that particular CD.

Tommy: A B4 in my room would be overkill. A PB2 Ultra - maybe - but not a B4. It's only 2000 ft3 and the PB2+ already has loosened/moved/rattled all objects in the room. You are correct - typically you see a 6 dB gain from co-locating identical subs. The woofers need to be pretty close together IIRC to get the desired coupling effect.

I played Matrix Reloaded at -8 RL last night (upped the SS filter to 25 Hz for safety). The bass is cooked very hot in that movie. Lots of 35-40 Hz special effects, with a few deeper scenes thrown in.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, Neal_C is in for a set of CDs. Now I just need a second person.

And I'm completely serious about passing them on. I won't send the CDs out until the recipient has 2 people lined up to pass them on to.

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Hi guys,
I was out for a few days. Just wanted to let y'all know that I sent out 10 copies to those who had pm'd me w/addresses. Hopefully folks will keep spreading it!
Gordon

Jon-C

Stunt Coordinator
Is SoundHound cool with this? It seems that the S&V demo tree was shut down for a reason.

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Yes. He and I have been communicating. The S&V folks got to feeling abused at all the people showing up there and begging for a disc. That's why the "Tree" thread got deleted. SoundHound only asked that I give him links to any threads that refer to his recording. If anyone knows of any threads about it on this or other forums, let me know so I can send him the links!
Gordon

Jon-C

Stunt Coordinator
I apologize if my post sounded negative. I just felt that we all should show SoundHound courtesy before we start up another demo tree, and even extend an invitation for him to participate in this thread. I'm proud of this forum and was afraid bitter feelings might get stirred up if we jump in with both feet. :b

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Ed, I'll be on the DVD REAL soon(matrix reloaded) can't wait..I'm in the process of relocating my system...makin room for the FP coming next week:) I will have room for 2 B4+'s now *smirks*...if my wife seen another coming in...umm...I'd be in trouble...why...cuz I can't push this one without damage to personal items!!:) If I knocked down one of her little collections...it would NOT be cool:) Gordon has room...maybe he'll team up and add a B4+ to his HT....isn't this what makes an economy strong?:) Thanks Keith for the cd..I'll burn a few myself.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Gordon is still off center.. he needs a couple more PB2's on the other side of his HT... haha

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks