What's new

SVS PB2-Plus Test and Review - Long (1 Viewer)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
(currently powers the eight 16-46s)
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I run dual PB2+'s and thought that was enough headroom. How your head has not exploded Scanners style is beyond me. :)

javry

Agent
Javry
Thanks for the warning pal...but am already been blamed by local authorities for having something to do with seismic activities whenever I fire up the "big" HT system...
well...just to put your mind at ease, I also have 2 B4s. Needless to say, I'm not very popular in my neighborhood......unless some of my neigbors are over watching a movie, of course. But let me speak from experience here......You're going to love it!

One thing though. I started out with one Crown K2 that fired both units. Recently, I bought another one and I can truthfully say that having a dedicated amp for each sub is better.....if that helps.

About the photos. It's pretty easy to do the download. If your daughter is into computers, I'm sure she'll know how to do it when the time comes.
Javry

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
I'd like Frank to move his system to my house so I can blast that idiot neighbor who likes playing his "Boom, Boom" car system at 1 am on the weekends.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"...I also have 2 B4s..."

Javry,

Terrific! Congrats, my fellow SVS bassaholic!... :)

"One thing though. I started out with one Crown K2 that fired both units. Recently, I bought another one and I can truthfully say that having a dedicated amp for each sub is better.....if that helps."

Like many factors in audio, having gobs of power, akin to having great subwoofer displacement capability, for example, is an utter, absolute necessity (if one has the economical means, of course).
Prof. Rainer used to say years ago in Audio magazine and other audio related publications that having lots of amplifier wattage was of paramount importance; according to him, there simply was no substitution for having abundant amounts of clean electrical power with which to drive transducing systems.
I wholeheartedly agree and subscribe to that tenet, so one of these days I too will try to acquire a few Crown K2 amps with which to drive these behemoths!... :)

"About the photos. It's pretty easy to do the download. If your daughter is into computers, I'm sure she'll know how to do it when the time comes."

Thanks for the heads up! I'll pass the info to my "kid."

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Frank, you are saying you have 8 16-46s and you are driving them off 1 amp? I find that hard to believe. How did you wire them to prevent the amp from simply melting? Wouldn't you probably be better off with more amps and a couple fewer subs?

Dwayne-S

Agent
I have listened to my new PB2+ for a couple of days now and wanted to post my first impressions:

Whoa!!!
Holy Cow!!
What just fell over upstairs?

Seriously, I am amazed at the quality, depth, and volume of bass that comes out of this box. I never thought that it was possible to achieve this level of subsonic sound pressure in your home for a measly $1200. The PB2+ is worth every penny and then some. The craftsmanship is exquisite and performance amazing.

I initially located the unit on the back wall of my 18’ wide by 21’ deep HT area. We sit 12’ back from the TV so that puts the sub about 8’ or so behind us. After setting the gain using the Avia DVD and my Yamaha HTR-5280’s built in tone generators, I set forth upon my sonic adventure. I queued up LOTR:FOTR and listened for the ring drop. It sounded, or should I say FELT, like the ring was a 10 ton concrete doughnut landing on the floor. I moved on through the subsonic scenes of the other DVD’s that I own that are on the “demonstration list.” Each time I was amazed at what I missed the first time around.

Needless to say, I was blown away during the entire audition. The sub not only sounded great on HT material, but was equally musical. Kick drums and bass lines were very clean with quick attack and decay. The muddiness that characterized my C-V sub was replaced with power and authority. The PB2+ scored big points on the WAF scale and added a whole new dimension to watching movies and critical listening. I then decided to try something different based on my drawings of our future HT design.

In looking for an out of the way place for the black monolith, I saw a spot immediately behind the couch that would serve as our front row of seats in the future HT. The rear seats will be on a raised platform behind, and it appears that the sub, turned sideways, would fit between. So .... I located the PB2+ about a foot behind the existing couch and decided to test the effect. Well, let’s just say that I won’t need any “ButtKickers” to provide tactile forces. We watch Master and Commander and were absolutely blown away during the initial canon battle scene – I could feel the sound pressure wave hit the back of the couch and travel through the chair (and my body) before exiting the foot rest. I had to turn the volume down because the kids were scared – it was just TOO real. We then watched Peter Pan and were equally impressed with the LFE reproduced by the sub. Knocks, kicks, and impacts were FELT in addition to being heard. The bottom line assessment by all was that the PB2+ basically turned every movie that had LFE content into a EXPERIENCE akin to a theme park simulation ride. Those surprise “gotcha” scenes that had an accompanying thump or bump created an “out of your skin” experience. I found myself in need of a vodka martini to keep from jumping off the couch.

I am not sure if placing the sub this close to the listening position is “proper”, but I can say that the impact of the subsonic content is magnified immensely. With music, this placement tends to be a little too immediate. However, since my Yammie has discreet IR codes for separate “Home” states, I can create separate music and movie profiles for speaker levels and settings that help mitigate the compromise.

To sum it up, I could not be happier with the PB2+, it is more than what was recommended by Ron and Tom, but I elected to spend the extra $300 above the PB2-ISD so I would not experience “buyer’s remorse.” I am glad I opted for the extra horsepower. I am now part of the few ... the proud..... The SVS CROWD!!!!

javry

Agent
We then watched Peter Pan and were equally impressed with the LFE reproduced by the sub. Knocks, kicks, and impacts were FELT in addition to being heard.
Seriously....Peter Pan? Is this movie bass worthy. If it is, I'll rent it next chance I get.
Javry

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dwayne, I think there are 2 main disadvantages to having the sub so close to the sitting position. 1) You probably have increased risk of standing waves with the sub out in the room, so the response will probably tend to be rather erratic depending on the listening position. 2) The sound level will vary much more than would be ideal, since moving only a couple feet will have a significant change in relative distance from the sub.

I know a lot of people use subs as end tables and so on, but my experience has always been that those types of placements are not particularly desirable. I've also never been a fan of placing a single sub behind the listening position.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Frank, you are saying you have 8 16-46s and you are driving them off 1 amp? I find that hard to believe. How did you wire them to prevent the amp from simply melting?"

I believe wiring is series-parallel; four bass units per channel (each amplification channel is good for 1000 watts, thus each 16-46 unit is receiving about 250 watts).

The Samson Servo 2000 amp seems to handle the load is seeing from the 16-46s very well, but have to say that when playing highly demanding material at rather spirited levels the coolings fans come into play a bit more than I like. However, the amp seems to be quite stable even with very low impedance loads...

"Wouldn't you probably be better off with more amps and a couple fewer subs?"

Fewer subs? :eek: No way! :D

Perhaps what I need to do is to provide each subwoofer unit with its on mono amp. In lieu of that, adding more Stereo amplifiers will solve the "problem" then because the power requirements by each sub will be shared by more amplifier channels in a more even-handed fashion.:)

Btw., I just found out that "FileZ," a HT fan and AVS member, include 32-12" drivers for the audio portion of his HT set up!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
Now we're talking! :D
Anynyone interested in checking that HT system only need to access AVS's "Members Home Theaters" Forum and find his. He's got several pictures posted; the 12" drivers are highly visible. Incredible... :emoji_thumbsup:

-THTS

Dwayne-S

Agent
1) You probably have increased risk of standing waves with the sub out in the room, so the response will probably tend to be rather erratic depending on the listening position. 2) The sound level will vary much more than would be ideal, since moving only a couple feet will have a significant change in relative distance from the sub.
How do I measure or identify standing waves?

javry

Agent
The Peter Pan I am referring to was released this past Christmas by Universal. (directed by P.J. Hogan. Written by Hogan and Michael Goldenberg, starring Jason Isaacs, Jeremy Sumpter, Rachel Hurd-Wood, Lynn Redgrave ...)
cool!....I'll check it out this w'end.
Javry

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"I run dual PB2+'s and thought that was enough headroom. How your head has not exploded Scanners style is beyond me."

Nick,

Who say it hasn't happened already! :D

Btw,...congratulations for choosing the PB2+ as your subbass system!
Is really nice to learn there are more SVS bassaholics out there besides me... :wink:

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"I'd like Frank to move his system to my house so I can blast that idiot neighbor who likes playing his 'Boom, Boom' car system at 1 am on the weekends."

Bhagi,

Believe me...sure like the idea of being able to do just that to that obnoxious critter; blowing him out of the water with a good dose of REAL bass output! :D

But, hey! Got an idea......why don't you tell him to come on over my shanty instead?... :laugh:

-THTS

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Just wanted to give this thread a bump, as Ed does a superb job on the review of the PB2-Plus.
And those considering an SVS subwoofer can see what kind of deep loud bass this sub can handle
on various cool movies in this review. :)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
A bump for this very informative review about the excellent SVS PB2-Plus subwoofer.
Thanks, Lee. This is definitely one I would like to update with the current objective test methods I use in my Secrets reviews.

Failing that, there is a similar test on the PB12-Plus with the older dB12.1 woofers at AVTalk.

http://www.avtalk.co.uk/forum/index....&SQ=1138022247

104 dB @ 20 Hz on the sweep - wow. Even the $8,000 quad woofer Genelec HTS6 couldn't do any better.

I would expect the dB12.2 woofers to squeeze out another 1-2 dB with much lower distortion that what AVTalk shows with the dB12.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks